Age od Discovery(world map)

Nexxo

Prince
Age of Discovery

The Age of Discovery, also known as the Age of Exploration and the Great Navigations, was a period in history starting in the early 15th century and continuing into the early 17th century during which Europeans engaged in intensive exploration of the world, establishing direct contact with Africa, the Americas, Asia and Oceania and mapping the planet. Historians often refer to the 'Age of Discovery' as the pioneer Portuguese and Spanish long-distance maritime travels in search of alternative trade routes to "the Indies", moved by the trade of gold, silver and spices.

The Age of Discovery can be seen as a bridge between the Middle Ages and the Modern era, along with its contemporary Renaissance movement, triggering the early modern period and the rise of European nation-states. Accounts from distant lands and maps spread with the help of the new printing press fed the rise of humanism and worldly curiosity, ushering in a new age of scientific and intellectual inquiry. European overseas expansion led to the rise of colonial empires, with the contact between the Old and New Worlds producing the Columbian Exchange: a wide transfer of plants, animals, foods, human populations (including slaves), communicable diseases, and culture between the Eastern and Western hemispheres, in one of the most significant global events concerning ecology, agriculture, and culture in history. European exploration allowed the global mapping of the world, resulting in a new world-view and distant civilizations acknowledging each other, reaching the most remote boundaries much later.

Moderator Action: Broken download updated - Blake00
Age of Discovery downloads:
Download
Mirror

Version 1 was removed after 43 downloads.

Attachments

• Dutch Fluyt fixed ini.rar
    499 bytes · Views: 634
Last edited by a moderator:
Playable Nations.

Only first five nations can build colonist to colonize new lands.

Portugal: Portugal starts with golden age and it have in beginning better ships then other nations. The Carrack serve as transport and warship until better warships are developed. Its also first have navigation school which give one movement more to Portugal ships.

Spain: Spain although seafaring nation don't have ocean going unique unit in that field. They have galleass, but its Conquistador that can conquer anything on land. They also start with many resources and they have
everything to become world power.

England: Its position on resources rich island give England security that if it have large naval force, it will defend itself. English heavy frigate MAN O War and its Privateer fleet will ensure that England will rule on sea.

France: France have excellent land unit Musketeer and many coastal cities ensure that France have one of best position in world of that time. France also have lot of resources in its homeland and France will be tough to defeat.

Netherlands: Netherlands start with only three city and it main part of army is made from mercenaries which can be built only if gold is available. From the start Netherlands don't have gold resource and its army isn't that strong without Swiss Mercenaries. Netherlands have its unique ships Dutch Fluyt with large transport capacity which will give them upper hand over they opponents.

Holy Roman Empire: Germany cannot build colonist and they don't have unique naval unit to gain sea supremacy. They can gain colonies by conquer them from other nations. They also have several neighbors which can be dangerous
for them, but they have lot of resources and and many cities from start.

Austria: Austria cannot build colonist and they don't have unique naval unit to gain supremacy on sea. They also can gain colonies by conquer them from other nations and they also start with resource rich land. Austria is in danger from expanding Ottoman empire and it start with only one coastal city.

Russia: Russia cannot build colonist and they don't have unique naval unit to gain supremacy on sea.Russia start with one coastal city. They are in worst position and they have several strong neighbors which will be treat to Russia.

Ottomans: Ottomans cannot build colonist and they don't have unique naval unit to gain supremacy on sea. Ottomans are stretch around Balkans,North Africa and Middle East. They have few unique land units and they are treat to any nations which they are neighbor.

Screenshot 1

Neitherland

England

France

Spain and Portugal

Attachments

• Dutchs and west Germany.jpg
    Dutchs and west Germany.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 5,718
  • England.jpg
    England.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 5,806
  • France.jpg
    France.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 5,758
  • Portugal and Spain.jpg
    Portugal and Spain.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 6,012
screenshot 3

Austria

Holy Roman Empire

Ottomans

Russia

Attachments

• holy roman empire.jpg
    holy roman empire.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 5,721
  • Ottomans in Europe.jpg
    Ottomans in Europe.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 5,744
  • Austrian empire.jpg
    Austrian empire.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 5,709
  • Russia.jpg
    Russia.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 5,694
Leaderheads.

Danish

Russian

England

France

Attachments

• English leader.jpg
    English leader.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 5,484
  • Danish leader.jpg
    Danish leader.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 5,626
  • Russian leader.jpg
    Russian leader.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 5,534
  • French leader.jpg
    French leader.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5,604
The scenario is expanded version of Age of Discovery scenario which come with Conquests. This is much more challenging because you must watch for other nations from east and also build vast empire like British one which cover 25% of world.
Also returning treasure from your colonies to gain gold and victory points.
Scenario last 260 turns from 1490 to 1750.

Credits:

Units: Aaglo, Orthanc, Dom Pedro, Sandris, Wyrmshadow, imperator1961.
Map: Aaeldrik
City graphic: Kyriakos
Terrain Building: Kyriakos
Terrain graphic: Sn00py

Special thanks to Timerover51, Virote Considon and Eric_A for advices and play testing.

There is also many units that I will add soon as I will have time.
This scenario is simple for now but I will upgrade it soon.

Are you using the Age of Discovery map that comes with Conquests? The Spanish Galleass does sound interesting.

Wow. That looks pretty intense! Europe is crowded as heck! No wonder they want to expand.

One note, why is Ragnar Lodbrok still the leader of Denmark? :p

Wow. That looks pretty intense! Europe is crowded as heck! No wonder they want to expand.

One note, why is Ragnar Lodbrok still the leader of Denmark? :p

Yeah I forgot to change that. Europe is full of cities and all of Euroasia because beyond Russia is remanis of Mongol empire and lot of stuff. some cities on far east also have name wrong but I will change that soon.

Netherlands: Netherlands start with only three city and it main part of army is made from mercenaries which can be built only if gold is available. From the start Netherlands don't have gold resource and its army isn't that strong without Swiss Mercenaries. Also Netherlands don't have it unique ships which would give them upper hand over they opponents.

The Netherlands should have as its unique ship unit the Dutch Fluyt. This was a fast, reasonably well protected, in terms of firepower, vessel, but lightly built to operate in the shallow Dutch harbors, with a good carrying capacity. Once I look at the combat data for the galleon, carrack, and galleass, I should be able to develop the ratings for it, if you want to add it in as an additional unit in an update. As the Dutch had the reputation as extremely good sea fighters, fully the equal of the English during the period, and considerably ahead of the Spanish and French, you might want to give the Fluyt a bonus of 2 hit points as well.

I am not that good at adding units to the game, but as a naval historian, I do work on the naval units a lot.

Looking good! I've been working on a scenario on that time period and the same (Aeldrik's) map for quite a while, so I've got some ideas for city-ownership and city names to suggest:

1. The Kingdom of Naples was part of Spain throughout this scenario.

2. Dubrovnik: Was an independent republic, better a part of Austria (Hungary specifically) than the Ottoman Empire. Also, Ragusa was its most commonly referred name back then.

3. Belgrade should be a Hapsburg possession for another couple of decades.

4. Rijeka was more commonly known by its German name of Fiume. Ljubljana was more commonly known by its German name of Laibach. Kosice = Kassa as it was under Hungarian rule. Likewise Sibiu either Nagyszeben (the name in Hungarian) or Hermannstadt (its name in German, as it was the chief city of the Transylvanian Saxons)

5. In 1490, Poland/Lithuania controlled Lwow, Kiev, Smolensk and Vitebsk, and the area of Dnipropetrovsk would have been contested between Lithuania and the Khanates.

6. Dvinsk: German Dünaburg, part of Livonia (so should belong to the HRE along with Riga and Tallinn). If you moved it North-East a couple of tiles then you could give the Russians the city of Pskov which was pretty powerful. Also, Tallinn was commonly known as Reval back then.

7. Mesopotamia was owned by the Persians in 1490. Tripoli would be best under the Berbers, maybe Egypt as well? The Ottomans didn't even control Syria or Palestine at this point, but there's no real viable alternative there. I'm pretty sure Venice should rule Cyprus.

9. Give Malmo to Denmark. Sweden wouldn't take the lands around it until over a century and a half after this scenario's start date.

10. Where you've got "Edo" on the map is actually Kyoto. "Edo" was actually then the name of Tokyo.

11. Cheju - is actually that island to the South of Korea. Wonsan or Chongjin are good names for the city you've currently got called Cheju.

Hope some of that helps. It looks like you've done a really good job! :)

With respect to Cyprus, that was held by Venice up to 1571, and the basic for the Holy League fleet which fought the Battle of Lepanto against the Ottoman fleet was an attempt to force a relief through to the island. Obviously, that failed. Rhodes was held by the Knights of St. John up until 1522.

Nexxo, working up the data for the Dutch fluyt is going to take longer than I thought, as you have quite a lot of ship types in the scenario. Normally, I would work from the basic Curragh having data of 1 attack, 1 defense, 3 movement, 2 carrying capacity, and then build from there, with the assumption that every movement factor is equal to three knots of speed, or at least keep all of the ship speeds about correct in relation to each other.

What I will do is work up a modified .biq file with the changes and send it to you for your review.

After looking the map over and the settings, I have some comments regarding the scenario.

1. Having all of the powers needing to research Gunpowder before getting virtually any ship beyond a curragh or canoe, except for China, along with any gunpowder unit does not seem at all realistic. By 1490, gunpowder was a major factor in European warfare, and aside from the English holdouts for the long bow, a country without gunpowder units was in extremely serious trouble. The fire of the Spanish musketeers at the Battle of Pavia in 1525 is credited with being a decisive factor in the Spanish victory, while artillery fire was a major factor in the French victory at Ravenna in 1512. Having the New World civilizations, the Bantus, and the Japanese research it would appear more than reasonable.

2. The Duchy of Milan was controlled by Spain following the Battle of Pavia in 1525 through the end of the War of the Spanish Succession, when it came under the control of the Austrian Hapsburgs.

3. On the map, you have Desert, Tundra, and Mountains checked as impassable, but you also allow for colonies on them. Are they impassable for all units or should just be impassable for wheeled units?

4. The map has the major portion of Asiatic Russia as mountains, when in fact, it is Taiga, or coniferous forests. Under Peter the Great in the early 1700s, the Russians mounted a massive and successful effort to colonize the area and reached the Bering Sea, where Vitus Bering died in 1741 on the Komandorski Islands, after having reached the south coast of Alaska.

5. Given the scientific and technological advances during the period 1490 to 1750, it would seem reasonable to allow for Scientific Great Leaders to appear, which presently is not possible. To get Scientific Leaders, you do need to have the Science Age box checked for Leader.

6. The period from 1490 to 1750 was also a period of nearly constant warfare for one or more of the European powers, and as such produced a host of military leaders. These include one of the greatest military leaders of all time in Gustavus Adolphus Vasa the Second of Sweden and also Charles the Twelfth, along with Maurice of Nassau and Menno Coehoorn for the Dutch, Oliver Cromwell and John Churchill (the Duke of Marlborough) for the English, Prince Eugene for the Austrians, Gonsalvo de Cordoba for the Spanish, and a host of others. Great sea fighters would include Francis Drake and Robert Blake for the English, Martin Tromp and Michael de Ruyter (one of the few admirals in history to get the better of the English) for the Dutch, Don John (or Juan) of Austria for the Spanish, and Khareddin Barbarossa for the Berbers/Ottomans. I will work on getting more accurate military and scientific leader lists for you.

Note: I am a military historian along with a naval historian, plus I have taught World Geography at the college level.

Top Bottom