1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] "AI" and solar farms.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by orasis, Mar 23, 2019.

1. orasis

orasis Chieftain Supporter

I'm sure everyone has noticed this but isn't a PITA? At least one civ in every game will destroy themselves by putting down an insane amount of solar farms. In RF we saw this irrational behavior with AI's offing city states (beneficial to themselves!) and now at least one (but sometimes 2-3) will just choke themselves with these farms.

How many solar farms do you build? 22-42?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

3. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Yeah, it's rather odd. You can also see it with your own builders where the recommended improvement is pretty much always a solar farm or wind mill.

4. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Internal scoring for them must be off balance. I think devs put too much weight to the power. They wanted T3 buildings to matter in GS apparently, and they need power. So, power is important, even too important as we can see.
    The bad thing is that they didn’t create a pseudoyield for power. So, we cannot re-balance it by ourselves.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Took a look at it in my current game. A tier 3 building requires 3 power. Solar farms and windmills give 2 power. So you need 3 improvements for 2 buildings, that does add up pretty fast. Not sure if the AI is programmed to avoid co2 or that it's often has no resources to give power through power plants.

6. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

@Tech Osen Yup, this could also be a factor. Imo AI is GS is not doing well with resource management. There are still some signs showing that it treats them as if pre-GS "1 or 2 is enough", makes weird deals, etc. This could lead to shortages or simply lack of them. As a result, renewable sources would be needed much more.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Solar farms aren't too bad an improvement other than the lack of food.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Clearly they "forgot" to program the part where the advisor checks power consumption before advising you what to build in the city. I have had cities with 19 unused power, and the advisor still defaults to SOLAR FARM as sugested improvement on every single valid hex. Clearly this is the same problem that strikes the AI, it's programmed to think that solar farms is always the best improvement.

Similarly, they will advice you to build Offshore Windmills even on tiles where Seasteads are clearly the best option (like multiple adjacent sea resources and/or reefs).

Jkchart, Tech Osen and Infixo like this.
  9. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

Yep - the AI will spam these improvements incessantly. They do the same for Mountain Tunnels and that drives me even more nuts because it is an absolute waste of production to spam mountain tiles with tunnels.

10. PapaMonkey

PapaMonkey Chieftain

Do solar farms have to be within the city radius and / or worked to provide power?

11. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Chieftain

Solar farms are fantastic on desert, tundra and snow.....

12. rsirangelo

rsirangelo Chieftain

Nope, they provide power even if they are on the 4th and 5th ring

PapaMonkey likes this.
  13. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

Wow, I need to remember this