AI cheat?

alvan

Chieftain
Playing usually on prince Im starting to suspect the AI to cheat.

How can a city of size 1 instantly get 1 more unit? Slavery: No, not enough size. Galley arriving with unit: No, not a costal city. AI cheat: Yes.

The AI will get 10 free city production points in a city when that city is founded.

Hey, my first post after more than five years. :D

The AI doesn't "cheat" really, it's just given bonuses in production, commerce, and pretty much everything else.
How have you observed those units appearing? As in, can you be certain that it hasn't been building the unit for a while or that it wasn't chopped or anything like that? Or that it didn't actually arrive from elsewhere?

Often you can see in the city but you don't have visibility of the tiles behind the city - the AI could have moved a unit in from the rear, 2 or 3 spaces away if it had roads connected.

I once played a game on Noble. I was a small crowded map and Huayna Capac was right next to me. So my warrior declared war and entered his territory. This was Turn 4. He had a quecha outside of his city exploring and another quecha already in his city.

Obviously this was cheating? Unless if he had a goody hut in BFC and it popped a quecha.

Do you have any savegame files so we could check?
(I am pretty sure that the AI does NOT cheat, it just has some nice bonuses...)

I once played a game on Noble. I was a small crowded map and Huayna Capac was right next to me. So my warrior declared war and entered his territory. This was Turn 4. He had a quecha outside of his city exploring and another quecha already in his city.

Obviously this was cheating? Unless if he had a goody hut in BFC and it popped a quecha.

The AI seems to get a free warrior when you declare war before they can build their first warrior.

No, the AI doesn't get free warrior triggered by war. But at least in BTS the first build is warrior - should be always. And as mentioned, AI gets free hammers for new city, so the first warrior is quick build. Really quick.
Of course on Monarch and above the AI has Archery for free and starts with extra Archer, so defensive unit is not required as first build..

No, the AI doesn't get free warrior triggered by war. But at least in BTS the first build is warrior - should be always. And as mentioned, AI gets free hammers for new city, so the first warrior is quick build. Really quick.
Of course on Monarch and above the AI has Archery for free and starts with extra Archer, so defensive unit is not required as first build..

It did in Warlords if the capital was undefended.

Do you have any savegame files so we could check?
(I am pretty sure that the AI does NOT cheat, it just has some nice bonuses...)

No I don't have a savegame. But I definitely checked this and there's no way they could've built it. But if AI does get an initial production bonus that probably makes sense. This was no Noble though. They still get production bonuses there?

Anyway, this was a one off. In at least two other games one against Montezuma and another against Catherine AI had a single warrior but did not get another one after I declared war. So I was able to take their cities.

Are you absolutely certain, azzaman? I've never read about that kind of bonus before, and it doesn't sound like doable with xml. Also, I do remember report of someone walking into an empty capitol on turn 3 as the AI warrior had moved away to explore when the player and AI civs had started bordering eachother.

@Bast
Yes, the "initial hammers" bonus is the same on all levels. One of the more obscure bonuses that don't appear in handicap file.

Are you absolutely certain, azzaman? I've never read about that kind of bonus before, and it doesn't sound like doable with xml. Also, I do remember report of someone walking into an empty capitol on turn 3 as the AI warrior had moved away to explore when the player and AI civs had started bordering eachother.

I've done a lot of warrior rushes, and the warrior popping out the turn after I've declared war happens at least 99/100.

@Azzaman333: The AI is never simply given a free unit, no matter what's going on in game. The closest is the 10 free hammers that the AI gets in its first city at the start of the game which, yes, is likely to result in them getting a second warrior/quecha ultra early. This is one of the few AI bonuses which is still present at Noble level.

Well, if you're that sure, then just start a new game with lots of opponents on a small map, build warriors, and look for other civs to declare war on (shouldn't be far away). Then save the game right before the magical warrior emergence happens and post it here so that we can inspect it.

Personally, I've never seen the AI simply creating a warior out of thin air, but I rarely declare war within the first couple of turns anyway. I did so in my last game, and the AI certainly didn't get a free warrior.

I reckon the AI can, rarely, train a unit which remains invisible until it's needed. Two games ago, I had Charlemagne's capital, his last city, starved down to pop.3 because it was surrounded completely on land by Knights and a few Cuirassiers; I had a Caravel anchored on the Clam on the closest coast tile; there was just one Archer left of his defence when I ran out of attackers, and he was whipping another in one more turn. When that turn came round I found that he had the original Archer, the new one - and a Spearman. The latter cannot have got in through my ring of horses, nor have arrived by sea as he could build nothing better than a Galley, which could not have got in and out without having been seen by my Caravel and was not in the city.

Again, a save would be great ...

There are a couple of possibilities how units can show up seemingly magically (airlifting, drafting, gifting, being pushed away from expanding borders, perhaps some events too), but it doesn't sound like your experience could be explained by those. Still, without a save there's no way to look into it.

When Civ4 came out, I even created a testbed because someone claimed that the AI would get free units under certain conditions when it's under attack from the player. This theory turned out to be false, like all other theories that claimed that the AI cheated. However, there's still the possibility of a bug, so there's a good reason to test such claims.

I've done a lot of warrior rushes, and the warrior popping out the turn after I've declared war happens at least 99/100.

Truth. I've managed warrior rushes, but got soo hacked off at the AI doing this..

And this always happens before slavery is even available, to city size 1 pre border pop.

The AI will get 10 free city production points in a city when that city is founded.

Hey, my first post after more than five years. :D

Haha, gratulations ;)

...and maybe there was chop? xD

Top Bottom