AI keeps cities with size 1

Hmmm. I'll try it late. (However, when I load the patch it says "Nothing Patched

Patch Finished" Is that good?)

Hmmm. I'll try it late. (However, when I load the patch it says "Nothing Patched

Patch Finished" Is that good?)
No, it's bad. You either patched that file already(try again by patching original file) or for some reason that file doesn't contain line, which should be replaced.

How come? I add civilzations more and more after 31. Just close window and start it again. Or something I don't understand?

You can add another civilization, so that it is 32, but as soon as you close the editor, it will be deleted.

About the 31 civs limit:

The editor has certain limitations, that are horrible; would be great to increase the limit:

- maximum of 31 civs allowed :sad:
- maximum of 255 city improvements allowed :sad:
- maximum 5 culture groups allowed :sad:

You probably know what means civs and city improvements. Culture groups are those things that in the regular game are "European", "Asian", "Mediteranean", "Middle-Eastern" and "American". Every culture group has its own city graphics, and civs in the same group get a very small trade bonus.

Of course, despite so much being FUBAR, there is the possibility that some of these limits make sense: perhaps > 31 Civs or 255 CIs drastically slow the game. Also, I rather suspect that the # of culture groups is probably hardcoded to a greater degree (depth; complexity) than we might suspect - I'd be astonished if it would prove to be a simple and pointless entry in a table somewhere ... But, then again, one never knows ... :rolleyes:

Best,

Oz

I would't care if there was a 31 civ limit in a running game if one could make a "pool" of more civs to choose from. Imagine you could choose from 50 or 60 civs... ;-)

Of course, despite so much being FUBAR, there is the possibility that some of these limits make sense: perhaps > 31 Civs or 255 CIs drastically slow the game. Also, I rather suspect that the # of culture groups is probably hardcoded to a greater degree (depth; complexity) than we might suspect - I'd be astonished if it would prove to be a simple and pointless entry in a table somewhere ... But, then again, one never knows ... :rolleyes:

Best,

Oz

I think you know this, but 31 = 11111 in binary, which is a bizarre breakup of memory.
255 is 11111111, which makes much more sense, since that is a full byte.
If the Civ coders wrote the cities into an array, then this limit for cities makes sense, and has a natural limit.
I am betting he can push beyond 31 civ's, but 255 cities might be impossible.

What I am a heluva lot more curious about is

a. Who is Skyer2, and why did he change his moniker from Skyer?
b. How did he sort out this Civ executable?
c. How much of the code has he figured out?
d. Can or will he show others how do it?

Skyer and Skyer2 do seem to have somewhat landed here out of nowhere :)

Also do his modifications work? I think that i have not yet seen one poster claim they do (?) by which i do not mean that they do not, just that up to now there is no evidence :hmm:

Also do his modifications work? I think that i have not yet seen one poster claim they do (?) by which i do not mean that they do not, just that up to now there is no evidence :hmm:

That's what I've been finding a bit quirky. There's a lot of discussion here, but I haven't seen anyone post about any of their results with this modification. :confused:

There is probability, that we use different files Civ3Conquests.exe, that's why it's not being patched.

There is probability, that we use different files Civ3Conquests.exe, that's why it's not being patched.

Hi Skyer2, this probability is possible. BadKharma posted in our SOE-forum the following: "I patched my executable with it and I believe it works because I no longer had the choice to raze a city after defeating all the defenders. I still need to see if the AI will raze though."

So it seems, that at least BadKharma had some kind of a result. As I reported, I couldn´t patch my C3C-exe. But in the next days I install a European version (German) of C3C and than I try again your patches. I´m confident that they work, but we must find the proper version of the C3C-exe. :)

I_Batman: There are actually 32 civs in the game; the 31 playable civs plus the Barbarian "Civ" Since 32 is a fairly logical breakdown for binary (as in 4, 8, 16 32, 64, etc bit graphics), I can only assume that is why they did that.

As for the Culture groups, I'd have to assume that they are a bit more complex, since you'd have to specify in the code which column to search for in the Popheads.pcx file, as well as what the City graphics files to use are (i.e. Roman.pcx and RomanWall.pcx)

Top Bottom