AI really dumb at religions?

Not true at all. the key is that they are state religions. The USA for example, does not have a state religion, and we don't really suffer negative effects for it. Christianity is a main religion here, but not the state religion.

PekkaM said:
Hindu nations are all doing great while the rest few are constantly having fights among each other and some Hindus.

Question: Why don't they convert?

You might as well ask why, in the real world, Israel doesn't convert to Islam to avoid friction with its neighbours.

The concept of religions in the game is supposed to bear some similarity to their meaning in the real world. To you, it's just a game strategy, but it's supposed to represent something a bit more fundamental to the AI.

Yzman said:
Not true at all. the key is that they are state religions. The USA for example, does not have a state religion, and we don't really suffer negative effects for it. Christianity is a main religion here, but not the state religion.

The USA obviously went for free religion to reap the culture benefits of having all 7 religions in their major cities. Considering New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles flash straight into my living room every time I turn the tv on, I'd say it's clear who's gunning for a cultural victory :cool:

In my observation different leaders will have different priorities when it comes to religion. I have seen Hatshepsut and Saladin both aggressively spreading their religion and the negative bonus for not being of their faith are strong with these ones. I haven't played in a game with her yet, but I suspect Isabella is in the same religious zealot camp. On the other hand, you have other AI leaders such as Mansu and Cyrus who don't particularly care too much about religous differences and other like Montezuma who won't even bother with religion besides hating differences (I have been in two or three games with Montezuma and he's always ripe for conversion because he never bothers to spread religion or priortize any religous techs). How the AI treats relgion all depends on the leaders you have. I personally like the variety.

jayeffaar said:
You might as well ask why, in the real world, Israel doesn't convert to Islam to avoid friction with its neighbours.

The concept of religions in the game is supposed to bear some similarity to their meaning in the real world. To you, it's just a game strategy, but it's supposed to represent something a bit more fundamental to the AI.
That's the problem. I think that as a game element it should matter which religion you have. No need to make them themselves different but make having different religion make problems.

It's clear why Israel wouldn't convert to Islam but if it meant just changing name (as in CIV) I would see no problem ;)

Top Bottom