ALC Game #24: Hammurabi/Babylon

Nice game and it's always nice to see some modern combat. It's a shame the UU is a defensive Unit.

It's a shame though, that the AI seems incapable of using Air Units besides Airships. It's porbably because most games are won by the time you get to build bombers and fighters that nobody really complains about the total inability of the AI.

Can you actually station Modern jet fighters ( The one with STR > 20 ) on carriers? It is stated that they can only carry "fighters".

Can you actually station Modern jet fighters ( The one with STR > 20 ) on carriers? It is stated that they can only carry "fighters".

Yes.

The funniest thing about the last round was the absolute rending of Carthaginian culture (check the minimap) between turns 451 and 454. I like watching that kind of rapid conquest during the end game playback. Pop! There goes all the orange stuff on this continent.

Very well played game. This game has proved two important points: 1) a tech advantage can be gained without winning the Liberalism race, and 2) economic progress can be made without having strong infrastructure (especially Universities).

I think all of the factors came together well in this game. The Aggressive trait was there to help with the early attack, and the Organized trait was there to cut civics costs.

Building the S.Paya was an unusual move that proved to be very well-suited to the situation. I don't consider it a top wonder, but it acted like one in this game. Having Free Religion provided a great science boost that combined well with the Great Library and the reduced costs from Organized.

Boudica, Sis already said it. What I want to know is when are you going to post your next pre-game?

d'oh :blush:, gotta love language, how one or two little words can completely change the meaning of a sentence. In response to the (real) question, you can kinda guess from when someone made a quote of his page in the bullpen. For example, as of Aug. 2007, it was supposed to be Napoleon.

However, my other question still stands Sis.

The other person must have been Darius I-- if it was either Mehmed or Hanny, he wouldn't have hesitated, given that they were now more open, if anything, to attack. Then again, his navy was near Hannibal the turn Mehmed declared war-- an odd sign.

Who was this person going to be?

The other person must have been Darius I-- if it was either Mehmed or Hanny, he wouldn't have hesitated, given that they were now more open, if anything, to attack. Then again, his navy was near Hannibal the turn Mehmed declared war-- an odd sign.
Heh. Actually, by "someone else", I actually meant "anyone else". I was looking for a target and decided that Mehmed declaring on Hannibal had provided me with one.

Very well played game. This game has proved two important points: 1) a tech advantage can be gained without winning the Liberalism race, and 2) economic progress can be made without having strong infrastructure (especially Universities).
What it proved to me was the very important point:

Land is power.

;)

All I can say is Boudica is a difficult leader to play. Her strengths are not really what they seem to be. I have my own ideas on the best way to play her, but I'll wait for him to post the savegame before I try it myself.

All I can say is Boudica is a difficult leader to play. Her strengths are not really what they seem to be. I have my own ideas on the best way to play her, but I'll wait for him to post the savegame before I try it myself.

I find it to be the contrary: when I play Boudica, her strength is exactly what what you'd think namely the best troops around. Just like Tokugawa, actually: no help on the economy but nasty troops.

One bit of advice for the Celts: Run to the hills!

I just wanted to chime in. I lurk on these forums pretty regularly. Sis said something about wondering why he did these things sometimes a couple pages back, and I just wanted to say how much the ALC and other games on this forum have helped me understand the thinking neccesary to improve my game.

This question was asked and answered over at the Bullpen. :)

Yes, I saw that as well. If I recall (I have a poor memory) he will post pre-game on Friday, and ALC this weekend. Is that right?

I suppose it'd be nice to put it here as well, just for convenience sake eh? :goodjob:

Just got around to catching up on this. Well done on a very satisfying victory! Looking forward to the next game. :)

Top Bottom