All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I need Babylon and Rameses. Neeeeeeeeeeeeed. I don't care about how crowded it makes TSL. Give me a TSL Cradle of Civilization map.

Ramesses is okay. I think Hatsetshup has certain strengths that align with the current selection model. Akhenaten would be a cool dark horse choice that synergizes with the otherwise underutilized Faith bonus from Sphinxes.

This. I need Babylon and Rameses. Neeeeeeeeeeeeed. I don't care about how crowded it makes TSL. Give me a TSL Cradle of Civilization map.

I agree with Duuk and Eagle Pursuit. We NEED Babylon. Assyria would be nice to have too, and I wouldn’t mind the return of the Hittites. Carthage was more of a classical civ, but bring them back too.

But for me, Babylon is priority #1. The poor implementation of Sumer in the game must not be Mesopotamia’s only representation.

I also would like to see another Pharaoh. Ramses II is the obvious choice, but Khufu, Amenhotep III, and Thutmose III are all good options.

I omitted Hatshepsut because female Pharaohs were a relative rarity and we already have one with Cleopatra.

I am probably in the minority on Akhenaten, but I’m oddly curious to see a potential implementation for his idiosyncrasies as well.

TSL, shmTSL... Guys, Ottoman Empire had the same capital city as Byzantium for most of its history, and yet, I believe there shouldn't be a big problem in getting both to the game. They are both highly wanted Civs.

About Babylon... We need a proper ziggurat, not those puny things built by ingame Sumer. Etemenanki would be a great wonder that could come with the Babylonian civilisation.

About Egypt... Thutmose III for me.

I agree with Duuk and Eagle Pursuit. We NEED Babylon. Assyria would be nice to have too, and I wouldn’t mind the return of the Hittites. Carthage was more of a classical civ, but bring them back too.

But for me, Babylon is priority #1. The poor implementation of Sumer in the game must not be Mesopotamia’s only representation.

I also would like to see another Pharaoh. Ramses II is the obvious choice, but Khufu, Amenhotep III, and Thutmose III are all good options.

I omitted Hatshepsut because female Pharaohs were a relative rarity and we already have one with Cleopatra.

I am probably in the minority on Akhenaten, but I’m oddly curious to see a potential implementation for his idiosyncrasies as well.
Akhenaten...

...an expansion that reworks how industrial zones work...

Suddenly I love this idea. Egypt's greatest engineer! I'm in.

And what about provided bonuses?

Edit: for the Ishtar gate, not Akhenaten.

Last edited:
Akhenaten...

...an expansion that reworks how industrial zones work...

Suddenly I love this idea. Egypt's greatest engineer! I'm in.

Akhenaten was the Pharaoh that was briefly able to convert the kingdom to a monotheistic religion.

Akhenaten was the Pharaoh that was briefly able to convert the kingdom to a monotheistic religion.

Although he did build a new capital from scratch, complete with administrative and religious centers + a new necropolis, and compelled the entire royal court to relocate.

So, apparently, my topic was locked, since I asked a pointed question not addressed here. So here it is:

Civ is my favorite game series of all time, bar none. I go out of my way to support it.

But I haven't played in over two months, because there's no game to play anymore. After several games with each civ, what's to be gained? I keep checking in, to see if there's a new DLC civ or a new DLC scenario, or ANYTHING, but I come up empty.

Are we throwing in the towel?

Sorry to ambush this topic, but this is where I was corralled..I've been following this topic since it was first posted, and throughout. I even checked in here first this afternoon. Sure, there's a depot. Could just be a patch. I just feel as though it's all crumbs...the very definition of a sucker bet.

Is there no room for discussion here?

There is plenty of room for discussion here and it's pretty much a given we'll get at least one more expansion pack.

Well, I certainly hope you're right. I'll return to my room, now...sorry to have bothered anyone.

Are we throwing in the towel?
I would strongly suggest, that you keep your towel in a save place, because it is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. ;)

Ramesses is okay. I think Hatsetshup has certain strengths that align with the current selection model. Akhenaten would be a cool dark horse choice that synergizes with the otherwise underutilized Faith bonus from Sphinxes.
The problem with Hatshepsut is she would look kind of like Cleo, she would have trade bonuses like Cleo. As much as I'd love to see Hatshepsut, she just overlaps too much with Cleo IMO. I would love to see Akhenaten included, though. Like Henry VIII or Louis XIV, he's one of those weird, huge personalities who becomes monumental to their civilization despite not being the best ruler. Honestly that Louis XIV and Akhenaten were overlooked in the first place is a real shame in a game about big personalities. (Turning Victoria into a hissy-fit throwing girly girl was a bit of a misstep, too, especially since Elizabeth I was well-known for her hissy-fits.)

Henotheistic or monolotrous. Atenism didn't deny the existence of the other gods; it simply focused exclusively on Aten to the exclusion of the other gods. (Cf. formalized Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and most forms of Zoroastrianism, which deny the existence of any god but YHWH, God, Allah, or Ahura Mazda/Zurvan [depending on the variety of Zoroastrianism in question].) NB that henotheism was the norm in the Near East at the time and was probably also the norm in Pre-Dynastic Egypt; Egyptian polytheism was probably the result of merging the major cults together when Upper and Lower Egypt were unified. Akhenaten just chose to pick out a relatively obscure god and assign primacy to him, mostly to break the power of the priesthood of Amun, which was beginning to eclipse that of the pharaohs. A clever political maneuver that ultimately backfired--but clever nonetheless.

And what about provided bonuses?

Edit: for the Ishtar gate, not Akhenaten.
Grants faith (that Babil means "gate of the gods" is almost certainly a folk etymology, but that doesn't mean we can't use it) and culture, adds a bonus to the city's defense rating, and maybe Ancient Walls generate tourism before Conservation.

Sure, there's a depot. Could just be a patch.

@Eagle Pursuit can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that patches get depots.

There is a chance that the new depot is something that many players won't care about such as additional modding tools, and it could be a DLC smaller than an expansion. But based on past iterations of civ, it seems likely that it's the second expansion.

As others have guessed, I doubt we'll hear anything official until after the Nintendo switch version comes out in mid November.

So if you don't like the current state of the game and don't like to experiment with mods (your own or others'), come back in two months to see if there's any more news. :)

@Eagle Pursuit can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that patches get depots.

There is a chance that the new depot is something that many players won't care about such as additional modding tools, and it could be a DLC smaller than an expansion. But based on past iterations of civ, it seems likely that it's the second expansion.

As others have guessed, I doubt we'll hear anything official until after the Nintendo switch version comes out in mid November.

So if you don't like the current state of the game and don't like to experiment with mods (your own or others'), come back in two months to see if there's any more news. :)

You have studied well, my student. We are in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom