All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect they may have repurposed the Falconchase with expansion #2 late game flare. A one off on the famous 1983 film, Wargames. Surely fits with BoomGoesTheDynamite as well :crazyeye:.
Spoiler Professor Falken, 1983 Wargames :
dr-stephen-falken.jpg

I cant help but think, that we got the simple graphics, no build queue and terrible UI because it was always meant to (also) be played with 1 finger on a 5” screen.

I'm pretty sure that's an argument for a better, more functional UI, not the reverse.

Dear lord I hope not. I don't want to see Civ watered down so it can cater to the lowest of the lowest players.

Complicated and opaque rules does not equate to deep game play. Yes, simple rules can result in a watered down product, but that's not the necessary result.

I wouldn't put it past the kind of people that name a depot BoomgoestheDynamite.
Nevertheless, the question when they will light the fuse remains open.

You can't sell PC games to people without PCs. Forgetting about Civ 6 for the moment, the future plan has got to be to develop games that can reach the largest possible market, and for Civ 7+ that's not going to be traditional PCs.

And that could be all to the good. Most high selling phone games offer clear, understandable rules with compelling game play. The Civ series could really use a re-set to throw out a lot of unnecessarily complex mechanics in favour of "how do we depict this aspect of historical development in a fun, challenging way that will be easy for anybody to catch on it quickly.

I don't think Civilization series need to throw away complexity for it to be successful in future.

Most of the popular phone games are simple games because gaming on portable devices are aimed to be played on a single or sparse sitting.You can play games like COC,fruit Ninja and temple run in a bus and you don't have to worry about reaching your destination.

But now a days it is changing as more and more people who are more into gaming are using phones to play games.So we are seeing games from Battle Royale and MOBA genre gaining more and more popularity on phone.Also our phone's hardwares are getting better for straight up ports.

Civilization Revolution 1 and 2 already tried that simplifying aproach.

It is just that no matter how good Civilization VII is it will not get the same popularity as PUBG or LoL or Fortnite.Because 4X gaming is not as popular as those genres.

Taking a step back won't solve the problem.It will create more problems.People won't even buy a game that is not as feature full as it's prequel.They will loose their existing fans without generating new fans.
And if they try to change too much by simplifying it, it wouldn't be 4X anymore.
However it might lead to a new Genre the same way how MOBA genre rose from RTS.

But again it will not be good for many of us.
The same way how fantasy or medieval RTS/base building fans are biting nails for so long.Well at least things are turning slowly but steadily as AOE4 got announced and also settler returning.

Civilization Revolution 1 and 2 already tried that simplifying approach.

That's not the approach I'd like, either. That wasn't simplifying convoluted mechanics, that was dumbing down the game. Two different things.

I'm just suggesting the Civ rule book is starting to look like the tax act (for whatever country you live in - I'm pretty confident this analogy covers the globe, unless you're a citizen of Saudi Arabia or the Maldives).

Look at Through the Ages for a contrast: simple rules, but a highly challenging and complex game. I'm not saying Civ should be TtA. I'm saying that a tight set of rules built from the ground up with the idea that they would work seamlessly together can offer just as much depth, immersion and game play interest as the current Civ mechanics. Potentially that means the game runs faster (quicker turns), the AI can be more of a challenge without having to be loaded up with bonuses, and newcomers can get quick clear answers for all of their rule questions (possibly even from the Civilopedia).

Sometimes in game design, less is more. Do we really need different rules for moving Traders, Spies, and Builders from one city in your empire to another city in your empire?

That's not the approach I'd like, either. That wasn't simplifying convoluted mechanics, that was dumbing down the game. Two different things.

I'm just suggesting the Civ rule book is starting to look like the tax act (for whatever country you live in - I'm pretty confident this analogy covers the globe, unless you're a citizen of Saudi Arabia or the Maldives).

Look at Through the Ages for a contrast: simple rules, but a highly challenging and complex game. I'm not saying Civ should be TtA. I'm saying that a tight set of rules built from the ground up with the idea that they would work seamlessly together can offer just as much depth, immersion and game play interest as the current Civ mechanics. Potentially that means the game runs faster (quicker turns), the AI can be more of a challenge without having to be loaded up with bonuses, and newcomers can get quick clear answers for all of their rule questions (possibly even from the Civilopedia).

Sometimes in game design, less is more. Do we really need different rules for moving Traders, Spies, and Builders from one city in your empire to another city in your empire?
What does that have to do with phone gaming though?
Which popular phone game do you think got that right ?
I searched most popular games in Google Playstore and only games I found that are super popular are either games that are built to be played in one sitting and recent BRs.

What you are saying can be applied to PC gaming too?How is mobile gaming design helping that ?

What does that have to do with phone gaming though?
Which popular phone game do you think got that right ?
I searched most popular games in Google Playstore and only games I found that are super popular are either games that are built to be played in one sitting and recent BRs.

What you are saying can be applied to PC gaming too?How is mobile gaming design helping that ?

Through the Ages can be played on a phone and is a good game. Civ on the phone doesn't have to compete with superpopular games, it just has to turn a profit and help justify to investors why they should support the Civ series rather than the next fruit ninja.

And that could be all to the good. Most high selling phone games offer clear, understandable rules with compelling game play. The Civ series could really use a re-set to throw out a lot of unnecessarily complex mechanics in favour of "how do we depict this aspect of historical development in a fun, challenging way that will be easy for anybody to catch on to quickly?"

Please no.

I'm divided on this issue. If phone sales allow the company enough revenue to continue pushing out Civ games then great. But if it results in dumbed down rules so phone users (let's be honest, these are people who struggle to use PC's) can use them, then no.

I'm just suggesting the Civ rule book is starting to look like the tax act

This seems like the easiest version of Civ. civ4 seemed more complex. I never understood exactly how corporations worked until seeing a recent youtube video. Civ5 cultural victory seemed more complex than Civ6, I admit I never learned all the features of Civ5 cultural victory because the interface screen seemed complex. Civ6 cultural victory seems simpler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xur
Please no.

I'm divided on this issue. If phone sales allow the company enough revenue to continue pushing out Civ games then great. But if it results in dumbed down rules so phone users (let's be honest, these are people who struggle to use PC's) can use them, then no.

Yeah, as much as "simplified rules" might help some parts of the game, it also prevents it from having the depth needed for a game of Civ's caliber. Phones are getting more and more powerful, but it's still a very different experience gaming on one vs the other.

Please no.

let's be honest, these are people who struggle to use PC's

Please, lets be serious
Smartphone users are most of the adult population now in Western countries
Its a vast potential market

(btw I don't have a mobile never mind a smartphone so no personal interest in the matter)

Dumbed down and streamlined? Civ 5 !

Okay expansions made it fun and some streamlining was good (like automatic embarkation for units) but some of it was just crazy simple compared to Civ 4 and even 6.

It's too straightforward so I have uninstalled Civ 5 and play just Civ 6 which is fun and detailed.
And the graphics are amazing, Civ 5 looks so static and brownish in comparison :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom