All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's just opinions, as I am probably in the minority as I would rather Scythia to have the list they have now, after archaeological sites, instead of naming them after tribes. Even though the Mapuche does have the language, naming them after regions, and not actual settlements feels off to me.
I'm a linguistics nerd. I'm particularly fond of Iranian languages. It bothers me that Scythia's cities are either Russian, Kazakh, or English calques of Russian/Kazakh. :( Honestly, most of the city lists are a mess, but Egypt's, Nubia's, and Scythia's are the very worst. Maybe I'll fix them myself one of these days. :p

The legacy content is based on the anniversary of the game I don't see how/why Civ would be doing the same.

That said, I would imagine they take a similar approach and whatever they are working on having some free content for owners of R&F as an appetizer before they ask for more money with either a xpac or DLC.
I'd like to add that I'd take a Inca + Maya with a New World Scenario/Map pack along with Machu Picchu and Paricutin just as much as the Mediterranean pack.

What's wrong with Egypt's and Nubia's? I actually recognise a lot of the Nubian cities from a paper I wrote on Nubian art history a while back.

A lot of Egypt’s are in Greek. I guess it makes sense with a Hellenistic leader like Cleopatra, but then why use “Ra-Kedet” instead of “Alexandria?”

If you ever played the old Sierra city-building game Pharaoh, that game used the real Egyptian names instead of the Greek ones.

Memphis: Ineb Hedj or Men-nefer
Thebes: Waset
Abydos: Abedju
Hierakonpolis: Nekhen
Elephantine: Abu

... and so on.

I'd like to add that I'd take a Inca + Maya with a New World Scenario/Map pack along with Machu Picchu and Paricutin just as much as the Mediterranean pack.

Why not all three? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of Egypt’s are in Greek. I guess it makes sense with a Hellenistic leader like Cleopatra, but then why use Ra-Kedet instead of Alexandria?.
Because Alexander got all the of the cities named Alexandria.

Why not all three? :D
I never said I wouldn't take all of them. I have all the DLC so far.

Because Alexander got all the of the cities named Alexandria.

I know... it’s a case of Istanbul/Constantinople, it’s just inconsistent with using Greek names for a lot of the others.

I never said I wouldn't take all of them. I have all the DLC so far.

Never said you wouldn’t. I’m saying Firaxis should release DLC packs based on all 3 ideas shared in the thread.

What's wrong with Egypt's and Nubia's? I actually recognise a lot of the Nubian cities from a paper I wrote on Nubian art history a while back.
Egypt's are in a weird mixture of consonantal Egyptian, reconstructed Egyptian, and Greek. They should have picked one (consonantal Egyptian, IMO) and stuck with it. Nubia's are mostly modern Arabic names for Nubian sites, e.g., El-Kurru. I realize in many cases we may not know the original Nubian name, but it's still disappointing.

In the light of the recent Xcom2 announcement... could they also have planned something similar for Civ6, with "legacy" content, such as civs like Babylon, Byzantium, Ottomans, etc., or map modes...?

I doubt we'd get legacy content for Civ VI. The new Xcom content came after the 6 year anniversary of the new Xcom series. Xcom was gone for a long while, while Civ has never went away.

Scythia was pretty short on actual cities, but they could have named the Scythian cities after Scythian tribes instead of archaeological sites in Russia and Kazakhstan. Egypt's city list is a hodgepodge of consonantal Egyptian, reconstructed Egyptian, and Greek. Nubia's cities are virtually all Arabic. At least the Mapuche cities have Mapuche names.

Yes, and it also adds to the punchability of his face. :p

Meroe and Napata are Arabic names? :p

I loathe the current Chinese city-list. It has Chen (a state, not a city), Jiangdao (a kingdom), Longxi (an ancient Prefecture), Xingzhou (name for two prefectures). It's too focused on Qin Shi Huang's territory, so the entirety of Southern China is pretty much ignored (except for Guangzhou). I guess I'm not really Chinese then (I'm half Hokkien, half Hainanese)....Does this mean Southern China will become a separate Civ?:p

It basically hints to me that China won't receive a second leader.

Meroe and Napata are Arabic names? :p
No, to my knowledge those two are Nubian. :p Meroë is probably a Greek rendering of a Nubian name (and looks suspiciously similar to what Josephus reports was the name of Pharaoh's Daughter [as in Moses' foster mother], Merrhoë), but it's better than El Kurru or Gebel Barka. :p

Branch 'smoke' updated about almost an hour ago. This was the first update to the branch since October 27, 2016 (a few days after the base game was released). :smoke:

Also, if I'm reading the update correctly, it appears that this branch used to contain the base game plus the Aztecs and the sound track, but the sound track was deleted while the six DLC plus R&F plus the unknown DepotTest were added.

Edit: around the time I posted the above paragraphs, 2kqa_b was updated.

Are they working evenings at Firaxis? Or are these things being updated from elsewhere?

Last edited:
Alexander was onto something. If you just name every city after yourself you don't have to worry city lists.

Yes but then they also become a pain to find

Boom! Shell incoming!
Civ 6 is on iPhone (7 and later)
(info first seen on reddit)

Immediately checked my iPhone Apple store - it is there! As I have an iPad version, the purchase is valid for iPhone as well, the version is the same, no need to re-buy. No R&F, though.
I'm so shell-shocked at the moment, I do not know how to react - jump for joy, feign indifference or just laugh.
___
Edit:
And there's ArsTechnica review already with a number of UI screenshots.

Last edited:
Meh. Kinda disappointed if that's it. Great for Firaxis though getting it on so many platforms.

Does anyone think we won't be getting the DLL for modding this time because the game is so cross platform?

Cannabis as a new luxury confirmed!!! They've just been waiting for a critical mass of legal markets. :)

Expect release on October 17th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_cannabis_in_Canada
This is further supported by the addition of "DepotTest" ("The pot test"). I don't think it is just a luxury, though, I am guessing it will be a whole new mechanic, introduced together with the long awaited Canadian civilization, which will have special pot-related abilities. The leader is going to be some random guy called Josh or something.

Boom! Shell incoming!
Civ 6 is on iPhone (7 and later)
(info first seen on reddit)

Immediately checked my iPhone Apple store - it is there! As I have an iPad version, the purchase is valid for iPhone as well, the version is the same, no need to re-buy. No R&F, though.
I'm so shell-shocked at the moment, I do not know how to react - jump for joy, feign indifference or just laugh.
___
Edit:
And there's ArsTechnica review already with a number of UI screenshots.
Exciting news for people with recent iPhones! Probably deserves its own thread?

This is an Aspyr port, so I don't see how it could be related to the recent steamdb activity; ltest and DepotTest remain mysteries.

Exciting news for people with recent iPhones! Probably deserves its own thread?

This is an Aspyr port, so I don't see how it could be related to the recent steamdb activity; ltest and DepotTest remain mysteries.

It could be the LTest. The old falconchase build was originally used for the ipad version, according to an Aspyr dev who stopped by after it was announced. It didn't require a DLC app, like LTest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom