All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume it's an obvious yes, but some are bizarrely (imo, no offense intended) skeptical; can you comment on whether or not Aspyr is working on R&F for iPad, iPhone, and Switch long term (no info on deadline, etc., required)?

The official answer is " We hope to release the expansion in the future, but cannot confirm anything at this time" for iOS.

I just read an article about civ 6 being released for iPhone. I wonder if this is the reason for the recent depot activity? I'm afraid we aren't going to be getting any more expansions/DLC/or patches.

I just read an article about civ 6 being released for iPhone. I wonder if this is the reason for the recent depot activity? I'm afraid we aren't going to be getting any more expansions/DLC/or patches.
I hope you aren't serious about the expectation we won't see another expansion- that's extremely unlikely, and has yet to become even slightly so.

I hope you aren't serious about the expectation we won't see another expansion- that's extremely unlikely, and has yet to become even slightly so.

Ignore him. Coming into this thread saying there's not going to be another expansion is basically the only thing he does.

I'm willing to bet there will be another expansion. Releasing to other devices is just a method to keep interest alive and generate revenue. Why release to other devices if the game is dead? Hence the game is not dead.

Ltest updated a second time this afternoon, and then there was something with 'smoke' and the config app. I'm guessing it was making the smoke branch available for testing, but really have no idea.

I don't comprehend how anyone can hold the view that the game is even remotely dead. Short of the sudden dissolution of Firaxis or the end of the world in general, there's going to be another expansion. It's sold well so far, has good numbers playing it on a daily basis, and was critically well received.

I’m hopeful that spreading the game to other devices will actually mean a longer lifespan for the game. If people are just now getting the game when it’s released on whichever platform, surely they’re anticipating a long shelf life with support and added content from the developers?

I think spreading platforms is the best way to enable a third expansion, especially when you consider that the alt platforms (iOS and Switch) are going to be behind on content release, meaning a potential new wave of income with each port, long after each initial release.

I think spreading platforms is the best way to enable a third expansion, especially when you consider that the alt platforms (iOS and Switch) are going to be behind on content release, meaning a potential new wave of income with each port, long after each initial release.

Gosh, I sure hope so.

Second expansion is a certain thing. It is only a matter of time. The real problem is Firaxis is acting like it was 2000. No new content since last expansion (excl. Balance patch). No communication with fans. No sign of life except for a few meaningless tweets.

You are also forgetting that 2K dictates what people can and can not say about up coming releases not Firaxis

I shake my head at whole "more rules--better 'smarter' game" premise. I guess that means that Go is the ultimate dumbed-down morongame for dummies then. I guess it's not deep at all and only for knuckle-draggers that don't know how to use a computer.

I don't know exactly what game you meant by Go. Global Offensive or Pokemon Go?

But both of these games have simple rules.

You cannot compare rules of multiplayer games with Single player games.
What makes those games fun are not the game itself but the people playing the game.
No matter how good the AI is it will never have real emotions so for replayabity in a single player games we have to rely on huge number of rules and features.
Playing chess against AI is fun for few hours only.

Sure there are some unnecessary rules that they can get rid of just like one said.
I think overall Civilization 6 is a great evolution of the franchise and I want them to stick to 1/3 design rule for this franchise.

Why Civilization 6 didn't do as well as some expected is because:-
A:-4X genre is not doing good.
B:-AI and polishing.(AI can be improved to use all the new rules and cheat more sneakily)
C:-Nostalgia effecting CIV franchise since CIV III.

Through the ages albeit a great game is not even close to being a popular mobile game.It is fun but Not even remotely close to Civilization series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rup
Second expansion is a certain thing. It is only a matter of time. The real problem is Firaxis is acting like it was 2000. No new content since last expansion (excl. Balance patch). No communication with fans. No sign of life except for a few meaningless tweets.
It's both a blessing and a curse. Many studios that do converse a lot with their fans end up with unintentional outrage at the moment, or end up taking too many ideas from the fans and ruining the game's feel.

I tend to call it Weiqi or Baduk so that I don't cause confusion nowadays due to the number of things that are using the word 'Go'.

Maybe. One way or another game developing should not look like this in 2018.
And yet, there are reasons as to why it does, for each case that this applies to.

Assuming that every business practise in 2018 is wholesome, beneficial and (internally) sustainable is just just one of those reasons :p We're not magically in a better place compared to 2000 just because of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom