1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Mac is on equal footing.

Linux is still missing the spring patch and cross-platform multiplayer. Aspyr says there's a big crash bug on some Linux variants holding up the patch.

I haven't looked at my kid's ipad in a while, but I think all the DLC are available now, but not R&F. It doesn't have cross-platform multiplayer.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Ma2ge

Ma2ge Chieftain

2kqa_b updated 45 mins ago. :rockon:

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

There's also been a deep history of it being purely a PC game, up until this edition. :p

The first four DLC are included with the Switch game from everything I have read.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2018
  4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Civ2 had more than 2 expansions right? Though I didn't care for Test of Time.

5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Do we consider any Civ II expansions after the first to be canon? ;)

6. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Civ2 only had two expansions: Conflicts in Civilization and Fantastic Worlds.

Test of Time was a repackaging of the game with some updated mechanics and a couple extra features.

Guandao, nzcamel and TahamiTsunami like this.
  7. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

42 is such an important number. It is the answer to life, the universe, and everything!

Guandao, tedhebert, Bosque and 2 others like this.
  8. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Clearly, the ultimate question is: "How many civs does Civ VI need to exceed by at least 2?"

nzcamel likes this.
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The media campaign for the Switch version has begun. They rolled out a video with cute animation on how to start a game. It is the beginning of a series of videos.

10. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Prince

As Eagle Pursuit said, the Steam Mac version is synced up to the PC version. Mac App version is on the Spring 2018 update (functionally equivalent to Steam, but lacking cross platform). Linux is on the R&F release patch due to a crash holding up development.

iPad/iPhone has all 6 DLCs available and is on the Fall 2017 update for now.

11. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

Ok, I'm kind of doubting we get any PC news before the Switch version is released then...

...unless the Switch version launches with a new patch/content update?

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  12. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Nothing big. But there could still be an autumn patch.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, it wouldn't shock me especially if they release a new patch on the date of the Switch release. That would make a lot of sense - maybe some things they had to do for the switch they brought along to the main game, even just if they were little balance or UI tweaks. But I definitely would not expect a major announcement until after.

RohirrimElf and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  14. Rup

Rup Warlord

Is Aspyr doing the Switch port ?

15. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

I was excited for the possibility of something happening on the 2nd anniversary but I'm glad that we do have confirmation of some development going on at the very least and that Switch players will have another game to look forward to

In the meantime, I certainly wouldn't mind participating in some more elimination games since it's been a while.

@Rup I believe they are unless I missed something.

Rup likes this.
  16. Rup

Rup Warlord

Thanks.
    Just ordered a Switch for it but should have waited for Rise and Fall announcement I think.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hawke9 and TahamiTsunami like this.
  17. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

@Rup No problem. Even if you decide to wait for Rise and Fall to be included before buying Civ 6, you could always pass the time with some other great Switch games like Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, etc. I don't think anyone would blame you!

Guandao, Rup, God of Kings and 2 others like this.
  18. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

At this point, and contemplating the release for Switch, I would not expect any release or announcement until right on top of November 16th. My best guess is that there will be an announcement of an expansion after release for Switch, but right before or immediately after Thanksgiving (US). I'm highly skeptical that we will see any future patches until the second expansion is released. Personally, I would rather wait for a second expansion and all PC energies are focused there vs. an interim patch.

Switch did get me thinking about the fact that there will continue to be increasing diversion of internal resources away from the "core PC" experience. Even at the moment others are involved (Aspyr), the reality, as we all know, is that key design decisions are going to be focused more and more on a mass market experience and to the least common denominator. And frankly, I think this is also why the late game is so underwhelming -- on the ports (I cannot say for the Mac, but I can on the iPad), the game becomes mostly unplayable in the late game due to not only turn speed but also ability for a user to effectively process all of the information available to them. Since most players on emerging platforms are not going to get to the late game, there isn't a major need to focus on that. I also strongly agree with the forums that this is why the game is tuned for "online" speed vs. any other speed.

Here is a probing question (and maybe some free, informal research for Firaxis marketing) -- if Civ VII gets announced to be only a console game (ie, iPad, Xbox, PS, Switch) and no PC, how many of us would willingly buy it (presuming we have the underlying console architecture). Although I enjoy having Civ 6 on my iPad, if that was my main experience, I would very likely pass. Unless there is a major leap with consoles/iPads in processing architectures, I would expect a continued movement toward a "faster and simpler" experience. In all fairness, this may help with AI and other issues plaguing the game, however, I would not be keen to see an even more simplified game.

TahamiTsunami and RohirrimElf like this.
  19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I am planning on getting a Switch for Christmas, though Civ going to it wasn't my original intention, and I'm not sure if I want to spend money right now on a game I already have, especially if it won't have all the current content right now. That being said if Civ VII is console only, though I doubt it because it would somewhat alienate their original market, I would definitely want to get it.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I don't have a device capable of running the game other than PC. So the answer would be no. And no way would I buy a device to play the game, because any game that is not on PC isn't worth playing in my opinion (I'm a PC elitist, I admit it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.