All things SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the US)

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
Justices appear poised to hear elections case backed by GOP
BY MARK SHERMAN AND GARY D. ROBERTSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court seems poised to take on a new elections case being pressed by Republicans that could increase the power of state lawmakers over races for Congress and the presidency, as well as redistricting, and cut state courts out of the equation.

The issue has arisen repeatedly in cases from North Carolina and Pennsylvania, where Democratic majorities on the states’ highest courts have invoked voting protections in their state constitutions to frustrate the plans of Republican- dominated legislatures.

Already, four conservative Supreme Court justices have noted their interest in deciding whether state courts, finding violations of their state constitutions, can order changes to federal elections and the once-a-decade redrawing of congressional districts. The Supreme Court has never invoked what is known as the independent state legislature doctrine, although three justices advanced it in the Bush v. Gore case that settled the 2000 presidential election.

“The issue is almost certain to keep arising until the Court definitively resolves it,” Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in March. It only takes four of the nine justices to agree to hear a case. A majority of five is needed for an eventual decision.

Many election law experts are alarmed by the prospect that the justices might seek to reduce state courts’ powers over elections. “A ruling endorsing a strong or muscular reading of the independent state legislature theory would potentially give state legislatures even more power to curtail voting rights and provide a pathway for litigation to subvert the election outcomes expressing the will of the people,” law professor Richard Hasen wrote in an email.

But if the justices are going to get involved, Hasen said, “it does make sense for the court to do it outside the context of an election with national implications.”

The court could say as early as Tuesday, or perhaps the following week, whether it will hear an appeal filed by North Carolina Republicans. The appeal challenges a state court ruling that threw out the congressional districts drawn by the General Assembly that made GOP candidates likely victors in 10 of the state’s 14 congressional districts.

The North Carolina Supreme Court held that the boundaries violated state constitution provisions protecting free elections and freedoms of speech and association by handicapping voters who support Democrats.

The new map that eventually emerged and is being used this year gives Democrats a good chance to win six seats, and possibly a seventh in a new toss-up district.

US Supreme Court rejects Bayer’s bid to end Roundup lawsuits

The US Supreme Court has rejected Bayer’s bid to dismiss legal claims by customers who say its weedkiller causes cancer, as the German company seeks to avoid potentially billions of dollars in damages.

The justices turned away a Bayer appeal’s on Tuesday and left in place a lower court decision that upheld $25m in damages awarded to California resident Edwin Hardeman, a user of its product Roundup, who blamed his cancer on the pharmaceutical and chemical giant’s glyphosate-based weedkillers.
Hardeman had regularly used Roundup for 26 years at his home in northern California before being diagnosed with a form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

The Supreme Court’s ruling dealt a blow to Bayer as the company manoeuvres to limit its legal liability in thousands of cases. The justices have a second Bayer petition pending on a related issue that they could act upon in the coming weeks.

Roundup-related lawsuits have dogged Bayer since it acquired the brand as part of its $63bn purchase of agricultural seeds and pesticides maker Monsanto in 2018.

The lawsuits against Bayer have said the company should have warned customers of the alleged cancer risk.

Bayer has lost three trials in which Roundup users have been awarded tens of millions of dollars in each, while also winning four trials. Bayer had pinned hopes for relief on the conservative-majority Supreme Court, which has a reputation for being pro-business.

I think they dropped a decision today on school choice in Maine?

Also, they are posting their stuff on the internet instead of reading it out live in the courthouse?

A prudent move not to be in town when the Roe vs. Wade thing drops in the next 7 days. :hide:

Sorry, for the non-Americans can you add what SCOTUS acronym stands for to the OP?

A violation of Miranda is not a violation of the Fifth Amendment

The United States Supreme Court has shielded law enforcement officers from having to pay monetary damages for failing to advise suspects of their rights before obtaining statements later used against them in court.
The justices on Thursday ruled 6-3 in favour of Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Carlos Vega, who had appealed a lower court decision reviving a lawsuit by a hospital employee named Terence Tekoh.

Tekoh accused the officer of violating his rights under the US Constitution’s Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination.
He was charged with sexually assaulting a hospital patient after Vega obtained a written confession from him without first informing the suspect of his rights through so-called Miranda warnings. “You have the right to remain silent,” the warnings begin. Tekoh was acquitted at trial.

Alito wrote in his majority opinion that “a violation of Miranda is not itself a violation of the Fifth Amendment” and “we see no justification for expanding Miranda to confer a right to sue” under the federal law known as Section 1983. The law allows people to sue police officers and other government workers for violations of constitutional rights.

In the dissent opinion, Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the court’s three liberals that the decision “prevents individuals from obtaining any redress when police violate their rights under Miranda”.
Never ever say anything to the police unless you have spoken to a lawyer first. Even if you think you are a witness not a suspect.

It's why I jump down any hint that pleading the Fifth implies guilt. A cheap political point today or millions of people who need to be constantly reminded that it's not true.

This ruling was super-duper interesting, or I might be misunderstanding the summary. Like, an unMirandized confession could lead you to getting arrested, but if they then drop the charges, you cannot use the fact that you were arrested as 'damages'. It means that it's gotten a lot easier for the police to do the whole "get him off the streets until the docket court lets him go" trick.

Was Tekoh acquitted because the confession was tossed out and the jury didn't know he confessed? So he sues the cop who got his confession for violating his right to not confess. Oh well, gotta have the state play by the rules even if scumbags walk... If he got any $$$ the state should hand it over to his victim.

It's super terribly fascist actually, and not particularly interesting

We use the word 'interesting' differently. I mean, "it's worth reading and then considering the ramifications". But, if we don't use the word differently, I'm sorry if I tricked you into wasting your time into reading it.

We use the word 'interesting' differently. I mean, "it's worth reading and then considering the ramifications". But, if we don't use the word differently, I'm sorry if I tricked you into wasting your time into reading it.

I mean, I do literally believe that their legal reasoning is not worth reading through because it's all contrived with an outcome in mind from the beginning. I think @Sommerswerd already described why (I think the post got moved to the new Roe thread) pretty well. The conservatives on the Court have reached the point where the actual legal reasoning patently doesn't matter, all that matters are their ideologically/partisan-motivated outcomes.

So, perhaps reading through the whole opinion is interesting for lawyers or for strategists of one party or the other, but I don't find it to be of much interest.

Yeah, the ability to finagle out how to work around the precedents it's setting is beyond my pay-grade. I was more interested in how it aided police abuse, so I guess the ramifications thereof rather than the actual verbal pretzels made.

Yeah, the ability to finagle out how to work around the precedents it's setting is beyond my pay-grade. I was more interested in how it aided police abuse, so I guess the ramifications thereof rather than the actual verbal pretzels made.

I'm not sure it changes much in practice - police already act with a degree of impunity due to the familiar corporate liability problem. An officer will not be personally liable for misconduct that doesn't rise to the level of criminality (and even then in most cases you get no indictment let alone a trial or conviction). The city will pay out a settlement, the officer might be "fired" which in practice typically means being shunted to another city department.

There is already little accountability for police officers who engage in serious misconduct. This just makes it marginally worse and amounts to a symbolic slap in the face, a flex by the court that fundamental rights of citizens don't matter to them for horsehocky.

There is already little accountability for police officers who engage in serious misconduct. This just makes it marginally worse and amounts to a symbolic slap in the face, a flex by the court that fundamental rights of citizens don't matter to them for ****.

If your society is at all similar to mine, it will trickle through to make a difference in practice. There are enough police officers that act as if a weekend lock up is the best they can do, and so then they're actually shooting for that. To bring It full circle, they are often arresting people who would be better served under some type of defunding proposal.

All told, I think you're correct that this is more of an indication of future precedent risk than anything else. It isn't the straw for the camel, not yet. But it's the merchant finding glee in the camel's distress sounds

I mean, I do literally believe that their legal reasoning is not worth reading through because it's all contrived with an outcome in mind from the beginning. I think @Sommerswerd already described why (I think the post got moved to the new Roe thread) pretty well. The conservatives on the Court have reached the point where the actual legal reasoning patently doesn't matter, all that matters are their ideologically/partisan-motivated outcomes.

So, perhaps reading through the whole opinion is interesting for lawyers or for strategists of one party or the other, but I don't find it to be of much interest.
There will always be some Judges who actually try to adhere to the logic/reasoning of precedent and/or respect precedent in general, so you are correct that interpreting the opinion will have some degree of value to some lawyers, Judges, etc.

But yes they are engaging in result-based Jurisprudence of the highest (lowest) order. They know what result they are going to reach and their "opinions" are just tortured, contradictory, logic pretzels designed to give their rulings a fig leaf of justification. That's if you can even get past the fact that they straight up lied about their intentions to overturn Roe, and Kavanaugh's blatant lies in his confirmation hearing over the Blasely-Ford allegations... which I can't.

Another momentous shift to the right from SCOTUS that kind of got lost in the tsunami of bad news:

NPR, 21 June 2022 - "Supreme Court rules Maine's tuition assistance program must cover religious schools"

NPR said:
By a 6-3 vote along ideological lines, the court opened the door further for those seeking taxpayer funding for religious schools.

In its clearest statement to date, the court said that if a state uses taxpayer money to pay for students attending nonreligious private schools, it must also use taxpayer funds to pay for attendance at religious schools. For all practical purposes, the decision thus invalidates provisions in 37 state constitutions that ban the direct or indirect use of taxpayer money in religious schools.
SCOTUSBlog, 21 June 2022 - "Court strikes down Maine’s ban on using public funds at religious schools"

SCOTUSBlog said:
The opinion by Chief Justice John Roberts was a broad ruling, making clear that when state and local governments choose to subsidize private schools, they must allow families to use taxpayer funds to pay for religious schools.
SCOTUSBlog said:
Two Maine families went to court, arguing that the exclusion of schools that provide religious instruction violates the First Amendment’s free exercise clause. On Tuesday, the justices agreed. Roberts suggested that the court’s decision was an “unremarkable” application of prior decisions in two other recent cases (both of which Roberts wrote): Trinity Lutheran Church v. Comer, in which the justices ruled that Missouri could not exclude a church from a program to provide grants to non-profits to install playgrounds made from recycled tires, and Espinoza v. Montana Department of Revenue, holding that if states opt to subsidize private education, they cannot exclude private schools from receiving those funds simply because they are religious.
The emphasis, in bold, is mine. The man is using his own decisions as precedent here, after stating in the abortion case that the right to an abortion was not something that was firmly embedded in our nation's history and traditions. (If in fact being embedded in our nation's history and traditions should be our guiding principle, which of course is insane.)

SCOTUSBlog said:
In this case, Roberts explained, Maine pays tuition for some students to attend private schools, as “long as the schools are not religious.” “That,” Roberts stressed, “is discrimination against religion.”
He's actually not entirely wrong here, there is a discrimination against religion: The people aren't supposed to be required to pay for other people to exercise their religious beliefs. Freedom of religion means the government cannot bar people from practicing their religion, or teaching their religion to their children, within certain bounds (no living sacrifices, for example). But this decision is clearly a violation of what's called the "establishment clause" of the First Amendment.

From the Library of Congress:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I think private schools are one of the biggest causes of intergenerational inequality so the tax payer certainly should not be funding them, perhaps it should be criminalising them.

The North Carolina Supreme Court held that the boundaries violated state constitution provisions protecting free elections and freedoms of speech and association by handicapping voters who support Democrats.

The new map that eventually emerged and is being used this year gives Democrats a good chance to win six seats, and possibly a seventh in a new toss-up district.

My suggestion, and it is a legal one regards to forum rules and the United States code, is the following.

Liberals should start a concerted campaign to encourage gun purchase and ownership in gerrymandered districts. Like, send volunteers there, hand out flyers. Subsidize lessons.

It's a little darker, but visible machete advocacy to get the same effect. Although, obviously make it explicitly tied to gerrymandering.

As far as I know, this is explicitly the second amendment's purpose according to current description by advocates

Top Bottom