Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Andor ep 6 was great.
Spoiler :
The turn by Skeen was a real bummer. I liked that guy. Still, I liked that, in a criminal scheme to steal millions, one of the crew really was just a criminal who wanted the big score.

The Eye was very well done. They made such a big deal about it the last two eps I was worried it would be anticlimactic, but it was great.

Somebody told me Lt. Gorn got shot, but I must have blinked and missed it. For a second, I also didn't realize right away that Nemik was already aboard the ship when they closed the doors, so I thought "damn, they're leaving Gorn, Nemik and Cinta behind? that's hardcore." Cinta staying behind was clearly a part of the plan, but for a second I thought the other two were just getting cut loose. :lol:

I figured only Vel and Cassian were going to make it, but I think Cinta is still alive & kicking. I don't know if we'll see them again, but I think Vel is going to go back for her.

Speaking of Cinta, I like how they revealed that she was a genuine insurgent and not just Vel's girlfriend. They sort of set her up as the quiet one, the nurse, the pretty one, mostly only there because her hard-as-nails girlfriend is committed to the cause. Then it turns out her whole family was killed by Stormtroopers, and when they're literally at the precipice, it was Vel who hesitated and Cinta who was calm and motivated.

Picking a nit: I call b.s. on word of the attack spreading so fast. One of the very first things an authoritarian regime like The Empire does is take over the media and control the message. Remember the scene in the meeting room in Chernobyl when the old man walks in? (If you haven't seen Chernobyl, you need to get on that.) They would cover up the attack and say it was some kind of industrial accident. The final scene would still work. Luthan could hear from a customer about a tragic accident on Aldani.

otoh, two small details that I loved: The symbolism of the Aldani base commandant getting fat without even realizing it. Also, most of the pods in the Senate chamber were empty. It's literally a shell of its former self. I tried to see whether the remaining Senators were all Humans, but I couldn't tell in real time, I'd have to go back and pause it.
Andor trivia: Ebon Moss Bachrach says that a Disney prop guy told him the handgun Skeen uses is literally the same gun used by Greedo in the cantina scene in the first movie.

More random Andor bits, through ep. 6
Spoiler :
Did I miss something or did Cassian abruptly forget about finding his sister? Did we find out who or where she is? When we first met her, I thought maybe Bix was his sister. And when we first met her, I figured the older girl in the flashbacks was his sister, but wasn't she the one who got shot? Seemed like she was dead.

It took me a moment, but I think Nemik's journal/manifesto being pressed into Cassian's hands was important. He didn't need Vel to have it, because Vel is already down for the cause. I think Nemik saw potential in Cassian to join the rebellion, and giving him the manifesto was a kind of passing of the torch. That's why Nemik had to die.

Best spinoff potential: Vel & Cinta. I could also watch a whole show about Mon Mothma, but I have the feeling there's more to come from her in this series.

Odds we'll see various supporting characters again:
  • Mon Mothma, Syril & Dedra - sure bets, they're definitely all coming back.
  • Luthen, Bix - even - I don't really care much about Bix, but it certainly seems like she's connected to the Rebellion. 50-50 she returns, but I won't miss her if she doesn't. Conversely, I really want to put Luthen in the "sure bet" category, but he has no direct connection with Cassian right now.
  • Cinta & Vel - 2:1 - I'd rather see them in a spinoff, but I don't really expect to see that. Currenly, I don't see how they cross paths with Cassian again unless Luthen somehow gets the band back together, but that's far from a crazy notion. Luthen and Vel seemed to have kind of relationship. I heard someone even wonder aloud if she was his daughter. I don't think she is, but I get where the idea came from - they really seemed to know one another.
  • Cassian's mom, B2MO, Cassian's friend, and the burly Sergeant who worked with Syril - 5:1 - I love Fiona Shaw and B2 was probably one of my favorite droids, but I don't see Cassian returning to Ferrix. If he did return to Ferrix, though, I suppose we'd see all of those folks again (these four, plus Bix). I made the mistake of looking up the burly sergeant on IMDb right after warning people not to do that, which I'm kicking myself for. So now I know how many episodes that actor is credited for, but I'm leaving him in this "5:1" category, where I put him before looking him up. His name was Sgt. Mosk, btw, played by Alex Ferns. I also can't remember the name of Cassian's friend, the blue-collar guy who leaves his gloves on the wall, but I'm not looking him up because that would tell me much too much.
  • Skeen - 100:1 - I tend to think people we've seen get killed in this series will stay dead, but Skeen could be an interesting enough rival that I think I would accept some kind of "it was only a flesh wound" contrivance. I would watch Skeen & Cassian get into, like, a knife-fight or something.
  • Everyone else we saw die - 1000:1 - I liked some of them, but I see no upside to resurrecting any of them. I really liked Nemik, but I think it would stretch credulity too much to suddenly say he didn't die after all. Also, bringing Nemik back would compromise the moment Vel gave Cassian his book.

Andor ep 6 was great.
Spoiler :
The turn by Skeen was a real bummer. I liked that guy. Still, I liked that, in a criminal scheme to steal millions, one of the crew really was just a criminal who wanted the big score.

The Eye was very well done. They made such a big deal about it the last two eps I was worried it would be anticlimactic, but it was great.

Somebody told me Lt. Gorn got shot, but I must have blinked and missed it. For a second, I also didn't realize right away that Nemik was already aboard the ship when they closed the doors, so I thought "damn, they're leaving Gorn, Nemik and Cinta behind? that's hardcore." Cinta staying behind was clearly a part of the plan, but for a second I thought the other two were just getting cut loose. :lol:

I figured only Vel and Cassian were going to make it, but I think Cinta is still alive & kicking. I don't know if we'll see them again, but I think Vel is going to go back for her.

Speaking of Cinta, I like how they revealed that she was a genuine insurgent and not just Vel's girlfriend. They sort of set her up as the quiet one, the nurse, the pretty one, mostly only there because her hard-as-nails girlfriend is committed to the cause. Then it turns out her whole family was killed by Stormtroopers, and when they're literally at the precipice, it was Vel who hesitated and Cinta who was calm and motivated.

Picking a nit: I call b.s. on word of the attack spreading so fast. One of the very first things an authoritarian regime like The Empire does is take over the media and control the message. Remember the scene in the meeting room in Chernobyl when the old man walks in? (If you haven't seen Chernobyl, you need to get on that.) They would cover up the attack and say it was some kind of industrial accident. The final scene would still work. Luthan could hear from a customer about a tragic accident on Aldani.

otoh, two small details that I loved: The symbolism of the Aldani base commandant getting fat without even realizing it. Also, most of the pods in the Senate chamber were empty. It's literally a shell of its former self. I tried to see whether the remaining Senators were all Humans, but I couldn't tell in real time, I'd have to go back and pause it.
Andor trivia: Ebon Moss Bachrach says that a Disney prop guy told him the handgun Skeen uses is literally the same gun used by Greedo in the cantina scene in the first movie.

Spoiler :
Gorn got shot pretty much immediately after the commandant dropped from a heart attack. He was the first rebel to die.

Another Andor cast member who has a Star Wars name irl: Varada Sethu, who plays Cinta.

Andor still rolling along nicely. Ep. 7
Spoiler :
I liked Cassian's return to Ferrix, particularly the scene with Marva and B2. I liked finding out that his using Clem as an alias actually had a story and some meaning behind it.

Did Luthen order Cassian killed? I feel like he wouldn't do that. I think Clea is either doing that on her own, or she's working for someone else (not the Empire, though).

I loved seeing Mon Mothma shaken by the violent attack orchestrated by Luthen one moment, and then totally in her zone at the party in the next. I feel like she was a little quick to trust that guy she knew from school, though. Also, was it just me or did Genevieve O'Reilly look good in that outfit?

They really wanted us to know they're not done with Cinta. I mean, we figured she'd gotten herself out of the garrison, but she didn't really do anything in this episode. I think the writers just wanted us to keep her in our minds.

I love the look of Coruscant in this episode. The sky-bridges, the old architecture, the big room with all of the cubicles.

I really liked how they kind of manipulated me into rooting for Dedra. I like how the series is presenting both the rebellion and the Empire as having multiple facets, and that some of the people in the Empire are zealots, but some are just drones, some think they're righteous because they've had blinders on, and some still have the blinders on. I think Dedra is a character who could potentially see what's really happening and become part of the resistance, but I can't decide if it would be more interesting if she never actually does. That is, there are some people within the authoritarian machine who could be decent people, such as Mon Mothma and Finn, but it can't possibly be true that all of those people are reached. Some of them would naturally be lost or unreachable.

I'm not sure yet about Cyril. I don't quite know what to make of him. As with Cinta, they're clearly being very deliberate about keeping him onscreen, but even more so. It certainly feels like they're setting up either Cyril or Dedra as the ultimate villain, or maybe both. (I think either of them could become a tragic figure, but I don't know if I'd want them both to end up that way.)

Cassian's obviously not going to jail for 6 years, but I suppose prison could be a place for him to meet more people in the rebellion, or become more radicalized.

I like The Last Jedi rather better than Rise of Skywalker.

In some aspects I liked it more, yes. Rise of Skywalker suddenly came up with Palpatine, told us that Snoke was nothing, just a puppet, ignored half the existing unresolved plotlines altogether, made SW even less gay just to play safe, and gave a standard happy ending that even the original film from 1977 would have seen as too cliché, because the bad guys all got bad endings and the good ones got goot endings and that was that.
And so much more we've already discussed.

But why would you bring back a director-producer team that produced an obvious awful, awful mix where it was evident that there were scenes inserted at the behest of the latter?

I think the secret sauce to me enjoying Andor is paying special attention to it like I would a foreign, subtitled show. It is not a show to multitask with.

My enjoyment of episode seven while trapped in a bed was much higher than my enjoyment of previous episodes while multitasking at my desk. So I will readjust how I watch this show.

I think the secret sauce to me enjoying Andor is paying special attention to it like I would a foreign, subtitled show. It is not a show to multitask with.

My enjoyment of episode seven while trapped in a bed was much higher than my enjoyment of previous episodes while multitasking at my desk. So I will readjust how I watch this show.
ABC cancelling Police Squad! after 6 episodes: "The viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it." :lol:

THEY SAID THE THING STAR WARS!.png

The secret Star Wars movie project that is being led creatively by Damon Lindelof was thrust into the open Sunday night when it was revealed that Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, who directed two episodes of Ms. Marvel, was on board as helmer.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Lindelof is writing the new Star Wars script with Justin Britt-Gibson, a young and rising writer who worked as an executive story editor on Guillermo del Toro’s vampire drama, The Strain, and wrote episodes of Starz’s The Counterpart, a series that deals with parallel dimensions and starred J.K. Simmons.

Britt-Gibson, however, comes to the job after a secret (it’s always secret with Star Wars, isn’t it?) writers room that began coming together after this year’s Star Wars Celebration. The room held a two-week session in July and at the table were Patrick Somerville, who worked with Lindelof on Leftovers and then went on to create the buzzy Station Eleven; Rayna McClendon, a consulting producer on Lucasfilm’s own Obi-Wan Kenobi and writer on the company’s upcoming Willow series; and Andy Greenwald, the creator of the 2019 Rosario Dawson crime drama Briarpatch (on which McClendon was a story editor), among a couple of other writers.

Dave Filoni, a protégé of Star Wars creator George Lucas who is involved in many of the shows, may have also been present.

Sources say the movie project is intended as a stand-alone but in success could lead to more movies. That plan goes against the grain of earlier Lucasfilm development process’, which saw the company try to come up with new trilogies. Now, the studio seems to focus on stand-alones.

And sources say that the story would take place after the events of 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, although it would not be a continuation of the Skywalker saga. It could, however, feature some of the characters from the Star Wars trilogy made in the 2010s.

Lindelof's work has been kind of up-and-down, for me, but it seems like his more recent stuff has been some of his better stuff, so that could be taken as a good sign, I guess. I thought Watchmen (2019) and The Hunt (2020) were both pretty good, and while I've never seen The Leftovers (2014), I remember it being well-received at the time. But before that, he wrote Tomorrowland (2015), World War Z (2013), Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), and Prometheus (2012), which I thought were all kind of meh. Not terrible, but not great. I remember thinking Cowboys & Aliens (2011) was fun, but I can't say I remember it for its script.

Latest episode of Andor was quite good. Diego Luna captured dissociative anxiety really well.

Now to give Tales of the Jedi a try...

Tales Of Tha Jedi -

Very short episodes, but tied up a lot of pre-Clone War era stuff, neatly done.

Episode 4 was incredible!
5 was jokes and 6 Ashoka kicks ass in flares.

Music, sound effects, story-tellin, characters, visuals all on point.

They should do 'Tales Of The Sith' for a season II..
Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Spoiler tags added for large image. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoutout to Nicholas Brittell, score composer for Andor. I'm unfamiliar with his work before this (Winning Time; Succession; The Underground Railroad; If Beale Street Could Talk; Moonlight - I guess he's buds with Barry Jenkins), but I like what I've heard. I plucked the end credits music from last night's ep to post here, just because it was fresh in my mind, but I've been enjoying the music throughout the series. "Andor: Vol. 1 [Original Score]", which covers episodes 1-4, is available, although I haven't listened to it yet.

I heard on a podcast this morning that Andor is getting the lowest viewer numbers among the Disney+ Star Wars series. I really don't get it. I thought The Mandalorian was fun, good but not spectacular; and I found Boba Fett and Obi-Wan simply unwatchable. I suppose this show could get good word-of-mouth over months or years, and if streaming services are paying attention, they're looking at how many viewers a series garners over a broader swathe of time than Ye Olde Seven-Day Numbers. On the one hand, I bet this show would never have gotten made if Disney weren't behind it and Star Wars wasn't on the label. On the other hand, people who aren't Star Wars fans might be dismissing it out of hand, because they think it's 'just' a SW show. Kind of a Catch-22.

Top Bottom