Alpha testers needed for Steph's mod 2

Couple more points found during play:

Tech 'Irrigation' does not appear to allow you to actual irrigate in the game although says it does, have not yet checked editor to see if implemented.

Barracks, when build get the walled effect for city. See previous post on this. Apparently even if do not have walls building a barracks implements the graphic of walls on the display. Intentional?

This one may just be my system; when try to build an embassy most of the time so far does not work the 1st time and must repeat. Basically ... click on build embassy the 1st time and nothing happens = do not go to the capital screen of the nation building the embassy with, always works the 2nd time. No idea if an error or some glitch in the KB, mouse or game.

Couple more points found during play:

Tech 'Irrigation' does not appear to allow you to actual irrigate in the game although says it does, have not yet checked editor to see if implemented.

Barracks, when build get the walled effect for city. See previous post on this. Apparently even if do not have walls building a barracks implements the graphic of walls on the display. Intentional?
The worker can irrigate with agricultural revolution, in the second era. In the first era, irrigation give access to some resources.
As I've raised the basic food outpout, irrigation would be useless at the beginning, when you don't have a better government.

Barracks improve the city defense, so it seems the AI consider it has a walled city in term of graphics. It is intentional.

I'm working on the building documentation, it will probably helps a lot :)

Another thing: I have focused on commerce, civ specific techs, civ specific buildings, and resources management more than military topics, so perhaps some ideas may be useful to you later.
As I focused on military, if you can suggestion for commerce, social, etc, you're more than welcomed !

only reason mentioned 'irrigation tech' was that it said it allowed irrigation .. i'd noted that in editor another tech gave same. So would presume civilopedia might need looking at .. was a note for future change. I know the pedia is the last thing i ever change or update, why liked to code when worked but hated documentation.

Now that I've finished the Excel documentation for building / workers / resource, I'll got again through the civpedia to update the buildings and the civilization advances.

Next thing I'll do will be the units

You requested feedback on the speed of tech advancement .. basically after playing a couple of 100 turns, so far i'd say on huge map it is too fast. I have entered the 2nd age in/around 20 AD. The key to this was changing governement to 'Old Republic', once did this everything took off. Was able to get advances every 2-4 turns and maintain a small positive cash flow at the same time. Before the government change it was taking me 8-12 turns to get an advance and cities basically were stagnate with minimal growth potential.

I'm sure you didn't intend folks to move this fast .. again it may be because of map size and the fact that settled far and wide after winning 1st war with Mesopotamians. Might wish to raise the cost of Dark ages and some of the other key techs and/or increase support costs (bldgs/units?). Unfortunately on small maps this change may not be desirable.

Comment: I think there should be a new settler type after iron age that is not wheel based so can load on a ship ... as is no overseas colonies are possible except through conquest. If intentional OK, but .......

You requested feedback on the speed of tech advancement .. basically after playing a couple of 100 turns, so far i'd say on huge map it is too fast. I have entered the 2nd age in/around 20 AD. The key to this was changing governement to 'Old Republic', once did this everything took off. Was able to get advances every 2-4 turns and maintain a small positive cash flow at the same time. Before the government change it was taking me 8-12 turns to get an advance and cities basically were stagnate with minimal growth potential. .......
Or perhaps I should reduce the power of Old Republic a little.

Comment: I think there should be a new settler type after iron age that is not wheel based so can load on a ship ... as is no overseas colonies are possible except through conquest. If intentional OK, but .......
You get a new settler type when colonization historically started... In the Renaissance sub era. Beside, you can also load your wheeled settlers, you "just" need bigger ships!
Note also that Hellas has Greek settlers, that can load into ships.

Undoubtably easier to change the gov effect then the cost of the techs isn't it.

darn that is what i get for playing as rome/italy vs the greeks. I'll have to go see what big ship gives me this and redirect research to that

Further test results (on limited subset):

1. Guild Hall in editor as a buildable unit but in the game playing allowed to select but unable to build (no boxes appear below to fill). Appears to give extra gold. If this is the intent vice the civilopedia entry (and it's cost of 30 in the editor) is OK.

2. Settlers (yes I'm back to that). I built Cog, Caraval and Carrack and none will allow me to load a settler onto it. In editor you do not have the "tansport foot' option ck'd for any of them, but i think since settlers are wheeled still won't load. I had one of each ship type in a city with settler and no load option appeared.

3. Greek Settler has both wheeled and foot checked, i think this will stop them from loading a settler also. In game they did not expand of island on even though had it fully populated.

4. Pioneer is wheeled, but all expeditions are foot. Additionally no one is cked as being able to bld these units, so do not show up once get 'overseas expansion'.

5. Colonist to Emigrant, neither wheeld or foot ck'd. I do not know if this makes a difference in the game.

@JSnider: "Wheeled" and "Foot Unit" are two completely different things, that although sound like they're meant to be the same thing at a glance, are actually there for different reasons ;). "Wheeled" is a flag that you give to units to stop them moving on to terrain flagged as "impassable to wheeled". It makes no difference to transports ;). "Foot Unit" is actually more linked to "Tactical Missile"- both of these flag's sole purpose is to stop/allow certain units to board certain transports. This works as follows:
-*BLANK*: Can only load onto ships without a "Transports only..." flag
-Foot Unit: Can load on to ships with no flag or the "Transports only foot units" flag, so long as the ship does not have the "Transports only Tactical Missiles" flag, too
-Tactical Missile: Can ONLY load onto transports marked with "Transports only Tactical Missiles", so long as there is no "Only Foot Units" flag
-BOTH Foot+Tactical Missile: Can load onto transports with both options enabled, although not tranports with no options. I havn't tested if it works with just one of the options ;)

Hope this clears a bit of the confusion ;)

Minor point if a transport has 'only load foot units' ck'd i do not believe that you can load a unit you have wheeled ck'd (settlers in this case for this scenario). Only reason was making these comments is that I was under the impression that during the period in question (based on prior response from steph) that the larger ships whould carry settlers or other colonist units. They, the ships, don't allow loading for whatever reason of settlers (that are ck'd as wheeled) and the ships in question do not have 'load foot units only' ck'd ...

Not really confused, was just commenting on what is occuring during the play of a game versus expectations (based on prior comments or what is in the editor). If the design is intentional then i'm happy, but if steph was attempting to achieve a different effect then he would have to look at.

I was always under the impression that wheeled units can be loaded into a naval vehicle with that flag. I don't think it has anything to do with the three main kinds of units: air, naval, foot. :)

I was not really clear it seems, as I answered from memory and made some mistakes...

The settlers are wheeled, so they cannot cross mountains, and are flagged in such a way that they cannot load a ship, ever (except for the Greek settler).
You can create oversea colonies once you discover expeditions or colonists, and upgrade your settlers to that.

Later, the expeditions, specific to colonial civilizations (Iberia, Britain, France, German) are foot unit, and not wheeled. They can go everywhere, but are still slow.

The colonists after that have 2 MP and are not wheeled, so they can go everywhere and are faster, but are not foot, and so need bigger ships.

Last the emmigrant, after Decolonization, needs 5 population, and makes colonial expansion harder in end game.

The cog (available with compass) is the first transport ship that could load colonists, but it still sink in the ocean. However, you'll probably use Carack or Galeon to transport your colonists.

Hi IM In the third era of your first mod and just have a suggestion for your second mod. I think some pollution reducing improvments would be good if they came a littel bit earlier then the usual two that included in the modern age.

You know how it is, lots of techs make for a long period of big population growth. So you got plenty of citys accumulating so much pollution in the 2nd n 3rd eras. It gets tedious with no hope of buying helpers to stagnate it till the modern age!

THere needs to be some improvements reducing it aswell.:) I had to hold off on even building the factories unit railtracks were in place to help my stacks of workers get to the piles of goo before my country started sinking in it.

I like fighting pollution if I know Im near a improvement that will give me a boast. Make it high maintence to increase the challenge. Just some tips for your nect version. Good luck on it btw . Im sure its many months down the road but I look forward to it man

Just about wrapping up my second run on your 1st mod. One of the best unit lines Ive expierenced. This mod gives you enough time with each weopon phase and I love that. In fact 550 turns in and we hadn't discovered tanks yet but were still progressing smoothly(and frequently enough to be perfect realistic flow). Everything blends in nice (no overpowering gaps). For your second mod a tip. Make it at least 800 turns ;) I choose 715 and it might not have been enough if I hadn't flagged culture victory

Hidden units seem to start a lot of wars. I was close to a cultural victory near the same time I launched a line of invisible troops all over the map. All my allies ran into them and declared war on me. At first I thought they reliazed I was about to win and were being incredable savy in joining forces. Ether way it has delayed my victory, them taking some of culture farms and desroying them.

The game is in the middle of the third era and the year is 2582. This is on top of my changing the minimum tech learning time from nine turns to four and reducded the opening 50 year span per turn to 35.

Since your new mod will have close to the same amount of tech, I would recamend a closer shave on all time spans, allocating less years for each turn on all of them

I hear your adding new wonders this go so that should be awesome. Being that everythng else runs great with exception you could have used one or two more building improvments. Those simple changes and add- ons with a more realistic time flow are all Im concerned with and actually can be done by the player him/her self after some expierence.

I say this cause map size has a lot to do with it aswell as number of civs your trading with.

Thanks for a great mod look forward to the sequal

I don't know if this helps you, Steph. I just played two games.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Played Hellas.

Used random for world shape and age.
Standard size
Roaming barbarians.

1. Immediately noticed that all units that are buildable consume population. I have nothing that I can build in my 1 pop city that cannot consume population. It needs to be able to build Capitalization (resources -> money).

2. I noticed that Tribal Wars is cost 1 in your Excel spreadsheet, but it takes me 14 turns to learn it at the beginning of the game. I'm using Monarchy difficulty. I suppose this is normal.

3. (removed)

4. The pop cost for a tribal warrior is wrong in the excel doc.

5. There should be some cheap unit to build at first. At the beginning of the game there is no unit I can build. I'm left with a single warrior until I get the Tribal Wars technology.

6. I just lost the whole game. The Italians declared war on me and swarmed me with warriors, and killed my meager 3 tribal warriors. I lost my two cities. I actually had another nomad settler and I built another city, but I just gave up and quit. I went through the retirement, and I had two cities when the Italians had 7. Crazy. It takes FOREVER to build up my country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game #2

Monarchy difficulty.

Continents 70% shape
Standard size
Normal, temperate, 4 billion: humidity, climate, age

Turned off barbarians.

Played India. All random enemies.

1. Starting place was adjacent to a volcano. I decided to take two turns to move to a safer place.

2. A lot of resources are needed to build certain units. For example, to build Phalanx, it says I need copper in the civilopedia. I can build Phalanx without it though. Same for Galley (In). I can build it without wood.

3. Incense isn't a luxury resource, but it's listed as one in the Excel file.

4. I just retired after around 150 turns. I had 4 pitiful cities. My opponents all had larger empires. I was on an island by myself, so I wasn't swarmed this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Judging by the vast number of technologies, I guess the speed of discovery is good. If the number of techs were fewer, I'd say they come too quickly.

I don't know if this helps you, Steph. I just played two games.
Thanks, this kind of feedbacks always help.

1. Immediately noticed that all units that are buildable consume population. I have nothing that I can build in my 1 pop city that cannot consume population. It needs to be able to build Capitalization (resources -> money).
The tribal warriors cost 0 population in game. There was an error for the Meso, and the Excel spreadsheet was out-of-date. I'm double checking the civ pedia and the Excel files for buildings ATM, when it is finished I'll start the units. Lot of work there.
Are you using the latest patch?

2. I noticed that Tribal Wars is cost 1 in your Excel spreadsheet, but it takes me 14 turns to learn it at the beginning of the game. I'm using Monarchy difficulty. I suppose this is normal.
It does cost one. I supposed it took you so long because you were in a poor spot yielding not enough gold?

4. The pop cost for a tribal warrior is wrong in the excel doc.
Corrected

5. There should be some cheap unit to build at first. At the beginning of the game there is no unit I can build. I'm left with a single warrior until I get the Tribal Wars technology.
Perhaps I could add something with a 0 attack, just to defend your cities.

6. I just lost the whole game. The Italians declared war on me and swarmed me with warriors, and killed my meager 3 tribal warriors. I lost my two cities. I actually had another nomad settler and I built another city, but I just gave up and quit. I went through the retirement, and I had two cities when the Italians had 7. Crazy. It takes FOREVER to build up my country.
Hint: read Jared Diamond's Germs, Guns and Steel. It is VERY important to get access to some food. If you don't find a good source of food, you'll remain poor hunters gatherers and won't fare well against Italy, if they found some cows or wheat to exploit early. That's unfair... But that's life :)

1. Starting place was adjacent to a volcano. I decided to take two turns to move to a safer place.
Your choice. Volcanos are dangerous, but they are usually fertile soil and yield 3 foods, sometimes it can help. Not so much early in game with the penalty.

2. A lot of resources are needed to build certain units. For example, to build Phalanx, it says I need copper in the civilopedia. I can build Phalanx without it though. Same for Galley (In). I can build it without wood.
Phalanx? What Phalanx? In game they should be called "Iron spearman". And for units requiring a resource, you can usually build it as a "weakened" version, without the resource. The unit costs twice as much, and have less HP.

3. Incense isn't a luxury resource, but it's listed as one in the Excel file.
Incense is a luxury.

From some of your remarks, I wonder what version of the mod you are running?

Top Bottom