Alright. Here’s the plan…

Honestly, neither you, nor anybody else, will be able to write a critical, analytic review of the game until you have really played a game through. All the new features will take quite a while to figure out, with all the permutations of gameplay. I have played several games that have quite a learning curve (EU3, Settlers II, etc). At first they suck, but once one figures it out, one spends a mini-eternity playing them through and through and through.

-Herrhals

That's not a good learning curve, that is complacentcy, If you stick with a "sucky" game long enough you can learn to forgive its faults, bit like the wife of an abusive husband, learning to love the beatings.

So here’s the plan. Since I have sort of unwittingly established myself as a skeptic of certain mechanics, systems and the game’s connection with realism, I am going to show a little “faith,” (as some in another thread suggested) and I’m just going to preorder and buy CiV. I’m going to buy it no matter what I hear between now and the 21st and play it for several hours on day one. After doing so for several hours I will come here and I will write a skeptic’s in-depth review of the game. While there will be no shortage of such write-ups from the press and from other fans, mine will give you the authenticity of someone who had a lot of concerns but who took the plunge and tried the game anyway.

It's good to have different points of view, I look forward to reading your review.

Would be fun if a skeptic like yourself end up loving the game and some of the fan-boys dont like it :lol::lol:

This sounds fair and reasonable. I shall look forward to reading it and see how they compare to my own conclusions.

ciV will be a good game. Will it be a great game?

Over the past several days I have questioned several of the design decisions made in the creation of Civilization V, not as a matter of blind loyalty to earlier versions or as an attempt to undermine excitement for the game, but rather as an expression of my desire to preserve that (sacred?) feeling of immersion that one got while playing alternate histories in the Civs that came before.

I have also asserted that I would wait and play the demo, which launches on the 21st of September, the same day of the game launch in North America, before purchasing. After thinking about the situation for about a week now I have actually reconsidered that stance.

For every disturbing supposed shift toward simplification there seems (and I emphasize the uncertainty in that phrasing) to be another new and interesting system that may behave in ways that someone who has not played the game at length can neither predict nor completely grasp beforehand. To be honest there’s a lot of stuff in this game that I’m just curious about from a game design / mechanics perspective and as a game player I need to experience it, even if I don’t care for the overall experience (heaven forbid). If nothing else, this game deserves an honest look and I’m going to give it that because you can tell that people have poured themselves into its creation and tried to breath new life into a very old franchise.

So here’s the plan. Since I have sort of unwittingly established myself as a skeptic of certain mechanics, systems and the game’s connection with realism, I am going to show a little “faith,” (as some in another thread suggested) and I’m just going to preorder and buy CiV. I’m going to buy it no matter what I hear between now and the 21st and play it for several hours on day one. After doing so for several hours I will come here and I will write a skeptic’s in-depth review of the game. While there will be no shortage of such write-ups from the press and from other fans, mine will give you the authenticity of someone who had a lot of concerns but who took the plunge and tried the game anyway.

So if you’re interested but wary or if you just live in a region of the planet that isn’t lucky enough to play the game on the 21st, look for my review several hours after launch.

Rawr.

Good for you! :goodjob:

Auncien, best of luck with your plan. I look forward to reading it. I have a feeling that, at a minimum, it'll be a fun game. But I'll wait and see what you think of it.

I'll receive the game at Sep. 24 and will be able to write something at Monday, Sep. 27. Not sure if I'll be able to say something new to those gaining the game at Sep. 21 in North America, and not sure if my voice will be considered objective due to my image of Civ 5 lover :) But I think at least I could provide some strategic thoughts.

Not really seeing the purpose of this, but good for you I guess.

I wish I could play on launch day, but a friend of mine is throwing a house warming party on launch day... :lol:

A fine plan! I might try doing it too, since I'm a blind fanboy who'll get it anyway (I didn't get my new rig for nothing...) :p

My plan: Before I leave for college, I will download the demo for Civ V, then play it for a few hours, and if I like it I will download the full version off of steam (Or make a trip down to gamestop and buy it if it's not available)

I wish I could play on launch day, but a friend of mine is throwing a house warming party on launch day... :lol:

Oh my! Talking about difficult choices!! :D

@Ogrelord, I'm pretty sure Schuess was referring to the buying civrev as a terrible idea rather than waiting to get civ5.

nonsense, I play the demo before, like THE DEMO made available before the game was even release a couple years ago. I didn't think it was worth the price tag at the time. But for 30$, and they stopped production, I better get one before it becomes extinct. Sometimes you just need a CIV FIX for as a snack before you do your afternoon BBQ with CIV on PC. Sometimes I just want to play Arcade mode so to say.

Good for you. 'Cause I'm never the first one to walk first into a minefield, whether or not we know if they're mines or not. I salute the brave soldiers on the 21st, and await your first game impressions. :salute:

Fine but why waste money buying a terrible terrible game. At least buy something you'd enjoy.

^ See previous post. I already played the game and I enjoyed it. It also has 85% on game rankings. Your opinion does not concern me one bit.

^ See previous post. I already played the game and I enjoyed it. It also has 85% on game rankings. Your opinion does not concern me one bit.

If you need to call in game rankings even after stating you already like the game, you're sweating insecurity. I can smell your fear in that last sentence too...:rolleyes:

You can use reviews to see if there is any MAJOR or game-breaking bugs/exploits. See the reviews of games like Spores on Amazon. It's a great concept and might have been brilliantly executed, but a simple protection scheme kill it. Red Dead Redemption is a great game, but if I known it had freeze issues on not only PS3 but X360 too, then I would have never pre-ordered it.

Same thing is with Civ Rev. I had to check the review to make sure there isn't any TECHNICAL issue. This habit is obviously learned from PC gaming. Sadly, console games are gaining that trend of "release now, patch later".

Yes but you can use reviews to see if there is any MAJOR or game-breaking bugs/exploits. See the reviews of games like Spores on Amazon. It's a great concept and might have been brilliantly executed, but a simple protection scheme kill it. Red Dead Redemption is a great game, but if I known it had freeze issues on not only PS3 but X360 too, then I would have never pre-ordered it.

Same thing is with Civ Rev. I had to check the review to make sure there isn't any TECHNICAL issue. This habit is obviously learned from PC gaming. Sadly, console games are gaining that trend of "release now, patch later".

Spore died because it had no replayability and the playability it had was lacking. ******ed DRM was just a pre-emptive strike against those unfortunate enough to buy it.

Technical issues are the only thing holding me from pre-ordering ciV. I am really excited about the simple but complex relationships one can get into with C-S. The 1upt with z.o.c. Finally, the Civ traits which are similar to RFC, my fav cIV mod.

a marathon (little m) play session that includes multiple games, multiple speeds, multiple strategies, multiple playstyles with me 'working' the game as much as I can.

No, I don't sleep much. :D You'd be surprised by what you can accomplish in 24 hours if you just don't sleep.

But if you find something that breaks the game, you will post it right?

Top Bottom