Alternates to Judaism - MODCOMP

not in the early game, and it is feasable that zoroastrianism didnt collapse as a major religion, it is not feasable that juedaism became one without changing the nature and charactoristics of the religion.

If you take the time to code Arabia and Turkey to raize any city that has Zoroastrianism, then I would be OK with this modcomp. As it stands, you're just replacing one religion that had strong, regional power in ancient times with another religion that had strong, regional power in ancient times.

Orthodoxy gets a :goodjob: .

I would say at least as bad as the other religion modifier, maybe just the same...

In that case, why bother? Today, Zoroastrianism is dead and Judaism has spawned a nation that is a major problem in modern world politics. It would be more historically accurate to keep Judaism unless you code in a way for Zoroastrianism to be phased out.

I do want religions to disapear over time. but just to make it clear;

This is a modcomp to replace Juedaism. If you think it should stay then it is not for you so don't complaining about it

I do want religions to disapear over time. but just to make it clear;

This is a modcomp to replace Juedaism. If you think it should stay then it is not for you so don't complaining about it

Jeez dude. We're saying Zoroastrianism is a poor choice. Plenty of others, like Orthodoxy or Protestantism, would better fit the bill.

...Christianity is already in.

If we're gonna have Christian sects, we must have sects for the other religions, or it will be totally biased. Since there aren't enough slots, Zoroastrianism seems best. Has the schisms thing died now?

Every decision you make is biased and discriminatory. People shouldn't take it so personally that a particular religion isn't included. There are only so many spots and something is going to be left out.

Anyway, you pick whichever one you think had the most impact on the world (IMO Orthodoxy) and code it in. Historically, the "sects" of Christianity and Islam were more powerful and world-changing than Zoroastrianism.

In that case, why bother? Today, Zoroastrianism is dead

Are you sure? It is a small religion now, but is not really dead. Freddie Mercury was one of it´s followers.

Do tell me next time you visit an Aztec city or a city in the Roman empire...

Mexico City for the former. London, Rome, Paris and Bonn for the latter. And personally, I would like name changes over time. Maybe even name changes dependent on civics. Look, I have nothing against Zoroastrianism. My issue is that the point of the mod is to simulate history as accurately as possible with the time the coders are donating and the restrictions in the game. If there could be 80 religions, I'd be in heaven. But since we're limited to 7, we should go for the big 7, whatever they may be, and leave the fringe ones (including Judaism) out.

But thats just my opinion. /me shrugs.

London was the capital city of England last time I checked...

The point I was trying to make was that things that are 'dead' are abundant in this mod.

Orthodox Christianity is...Christianity...Represented.

I have no problem about discussion about other replacments than zoroastrianism, I just get annoyed at anyone who posts here saying that Juedaism should stay.

If your arguing about religions that have had influence on the world Zoroastrianism has had a huge impact on Christianity and Islam. The dualistic nature of Zoroastrianism introduced the idea of an evil (ie Satan) created by god to the Abrahamic religions. Zoroastrian ideas such as apocalypse and rebirth of the world could have influenced the Jewish and latter Christian Apocalyptic writings. So while Zoroastrianism only has a couple of million followers in the present day its influence and numbers in the past make it a significant religion but its a religion that has no representation in Civ. Sects already have representation though the religion they have broken off from and there is far to many sects to deal with. If Judaism is going to be replaced replace it with Zoroastrianism, its unique and historically significant.

I dunno, if Juedaism and one of either confusianism or taosism were replaced we could have orthadoxy and later prodistantism, this aught to start more wars in europe at least...

I dunno, if Juedaism and one of either confusianism or taosism were replaced we could have orthadoxy and later prodistantism, this aught to start more wars in europe at least...

I feel as if simply taking out certain religions to create more diversity within others doesn't really address the main problem: religions in Civ4 are too homogenous and don't allow for differences in theology or 'schisms'.

This next bit might be a bit OT, so you can stop reading here if you like ;). I think the main problems of religious homogeneity lies in the fact that there is only one holy city/shrine for each faith, when in the 'real world' there are in fact many competing relgious institutions within a single faith. This shouldn't be to difficult to model, however.

Consider having 3 'shrines' for each religion (for example, christianity could have the temple of the nativity for orthodox, the vatican for catholocism, and perhaps the cathedral of cantebury for protestanism). Each shrine allows that civilization to build orthodox/catholic/protestant cathedrals in cites that have a christian temple. These cathedrals can produce a maximum of 3 happiness: 1 for having christianity as the state religion, 1 for having thier shrine within you empire, and a final happiness for a 'favourite' civic of thiers (eg Org religion for orthodoxy, theocracy for catholicism, pacifism for protestanism). In this way, different religious authorities 'pressure' thier respective civilizations to to adopt different civics, leading to differences between empires within a single religions, and, in due time, religious wars. This concept does rely on the fact differences in civics wil cause antagonism between civilizations, but that isn't hard to mod in and would probably more accurately reflect the 'differences' that real civilizations have found between each other.

Whew! sorry for the OT jaunt...

Top Bottom