1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

If you want a more geographically accurate Europe, you need to make it smaller, not larger. Europe itself is already (legitimately) enlarged for gameplay reasons, so every argument for resizing some European region should be motivated by gameplay concerns, not geography.

2. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I think they mean that seeing Europe being so large but Iberia so small is a bit weird, moreso than seeing a large Europe and small Africa, due to the frequency of Iberia's inclusion in maps of Europe.

AtlantaMarty likes this.
  3. Leoreth

That's of course a matter of personal perspective, but Iberia looks fine to me in comparison.

1SDAN likes this.
  4. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

If I take a screenshot of my proposal of Iberia and France that shows both of them (I can't do it right now because I only have access to a Mac laptop at college), will you consider my proposal?

1SDAN likes this.
  5. ozqar

ozqar King

Take a screenshot that covers the British Islands, Germany, Italy, Tunisia, Morocco, and Iberia. That should put it into perspective, not having it next to France only!

Lokki242 and 1SDAN like this.
  6. Leoreth

I consider everything in this thread, however the point where I make decisions is when I have the map in front of me to edit it myself. Everytime you make a suggestion here this weird dynamic emerges where you first pressure me for my opinion and when it's not an unconditional endorsement, it's like you're trying to haggle me into accepting it anyway. If you believe in the strength of your own suggestions, just make them.

7. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Senpai, please notice us!

8. Leoreth

omae wa mou shindeiru

BenZL43 and 1SDAN like this.
  9. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Zetsuboushiita!

BenZL43 and 1SDAN like this.
  10. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

In that case, here's my proposal for Iberia and France
    unnamed-1.jpg
    I also think you should use Jules Auburn's changes to/extra column in Germany and Poland, but I had issues copying that into my map of changes

Here's my rationale
    Geographical
    1. In Bautos42's original map, the northern French coastline was too steep - mine is closer to the actual shape of the coastline
    2. In the original map, Iberia was also too short - it had an extra column but had the same number of rows as the current DoC map - this remedies that by allowing an extra row of tiles in Iberia, so it essentially fixes two inaccuracies/distortions in Europe

Gameplay
    1. Even with the northern French coastline stretched out, you still can't really fit in Brussels without overcrowding, whereas adding the extra tile to Iberia reduces crowding between Madrid and Lisbon and also allows a fairly comfortable Bilbao
    2. All 5 French cities planned for this map (Paris, Lyons, Marseilles, Bordeaux, and Brest or Rennes) still fit comfortably here
    3. Concerns were raised that this would make Spain's game too easy vis-a-vis stability - these can be solved by making Barcelona and Bilbao historical area instead of core - given the recent popularity of both Basque and Catalan nationalism, it also makes sense from an accuracy perspective.

11. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

This is a good proposal.

AtlantaMarty, cmakk1012 and 1SDAN like this.
  12. Darnokthemage

Darnokthemage Chieftain

Make Barcelona non-flipping and make Spain start as the kingdom of Leon.

1SDAN likes this.
  13. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Prince

On the one hand, weakening Spain this much would seem to strengthen the Moors considerably. On the other hand, the Moors should be stronger in the early game so this isn’t really an issue. I guess the “historical scenario” would be the Moors taking Barsalunah and then collapsing, allowing Spain to rise?

1SDAN and AtlantaMarty like this.
  14. Caesar Augustus

Caesar Augustus Prince

I mean each part of the proposal (removing Bilbao from core, removing Barcelona from core, and removing Barcelona from flip zone) can be implemented individually until the right balance is hit upon. There's likely going to have to be a lot of fiddling with the details worldwide to accommodate the new map, but having these options out there helps allay concerns that this might be too much of a buff for Spain going forward. :)

Leoreth likes this.
  15. ngazi

ngazi Chieftain

A bit late I guess, but on the topic of terrain.

1. sand dunes: 0 food 0 hammer tiles just like the current deserts
    2. desert: 0 food 1 hammer like the semidesert
    3. highland: 0 food 1 hammer like the current desert hills
    but with fresh water desert and highland can be farmed, which makes sense for Tibet

Mounted units have 1 move point and only get double movement on plains, savanna, steppes and early roads. On grasslands and cold flatland they move like other military units. In contrast civilian units have 2 move points and can move two tiles on grasslands, etc. Mechanical era military units have 2 move points.

1SDAN likes this.
  16. Vectors

Vectors Prince

Where can I take a look at the whole proposed current map?

17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

There's no such thing atm. Sad.

18. Leoreth

The best way is to look at the new map in game. Merijn compiled all required files to view it without errors here, although it should be noted that this version does not represent a playable version of the map (also I haven't tried it myself).

1SDAN likes this.
  19. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

I think most of your changes are great, but if any region really doesn't need enlargement it's Scandinavia.

20. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Majorka is 1,405 mi² (Balearic islands together are 1,927 mi²) while Corsica is 3,350 mi², and yet you display Majorka with a land tile while Corsica with island feature. Napoleon would had been greatly displeased with this Frenchman!