1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Found it, I loved the idea when I first read it and later wanted to find it but couldn't remember the thread. One thing that stuck out was the use of malaria to control movement and settling instead of jungles, and so I searched malaria and found it.

ozqar, Publicola and Leoreth like this.
  2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Does it have its own thread? I remember liking the post but not much about the specific content, so I think you should.

Edit: I'd like a 2:food: terrain that does not allow improvements, seems like wetland is exactly right for that. Improvements could be enabled with a later tech (Hydraulics?) to bring them up to par with grassland.

3. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Ninja'd

Leoreth likes this.
  4. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

How about scrubland?

5. Darnokthemage

Darnokthemage Chieftain

Wetlands would fit really nicely for places where there are a lot of swamps, but not so many you can't pass. Maybe a lake feature that could work like oases would be good, representing many small lakes like in sweden and finland, give it +1:food:.

6. AtlantaMarty

I propose moving France and Iberia 1 tile north to enable the expansion of Iberia by 1 tile on the NS axis - the original Iberia in the larger map is wider than it is tall, which is inaccurate.

It also has the benefit of creating a more accurate coastline for Northern France.

Here's my proposal (city placements might be somewhat off)
    Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.38.41 PM.png

Publicola and 1SDAN like this.
  7. AtlantaMarty

8. Leoreth

Seems a bit too large.

AtlantaMarty and ozqar like this.
  9. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Am I reading the minimal right? Is Iberia about 80% the size of the Arabian peninsula? That seems excessive…

AtlantaMarty likes this.
  10. AtlantaMarty

My proposal has Iberia at 49 tiles and mainland France at 45, IRL Iberia is 225,000 square miles and mainland France is 210,000.
    210/225=93%
    45/49=92%

Seems pretty good to me

Europe is enlarged on this map. My proposed Iberia is the right size vis-a-vis the rest of Europe

Publicola and 1SDAN like this.
  11. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

If you snipped off the corners, in particular the top left, it would look less square, while becoming more reasonably sized. I also think a row needs to be slapped off the bottom, as it kind of juts out into Africa.

12. ozqar

ozqar King

Can you post a screenshot showing more of North Africa and Western Europe? That would make it easier to see the proportions

13. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Gibraltar is at 36 degrees 8' North latitude, which actually a bit south of Algiers (Algeria) and Tunis (Tunisia). Representing the southernmost bit of the Iberian peninsula as the same row as the northernmost part of Africa is actually pretty accurate.

1SDAN likes this.
  14. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

I'm gonna quote an earlier post:
    I not sure how I feel about an expanding Europe is needed to justify or make realistic an expanded Europe.

Jarlaxe Baenre and Leoreth like this.
  15. Publicola

Publicola Prince

To be fair, Europe is the most heavily populated continent in terms of how many civs are forced to fit there. The Arabian peninsula has at most a single civ, and even then the two major Arab cities (Mecca and Sana'a) hug the coast and leave the interior empty. Plus, the Arab core pretty quickly shifts up to Mesopotamia anyway.

The Iberian peninsula contains the cores of three civs -- Cordoba, Spain, and Portugal -- plus it's a playground for both Rome and Carthage earlier in its history.

The Rhye's world map was never intended to be absolutely representative of physical geography. Europe has always been larger than most other regions because of its geopolitical significance, and the number of civs that need space. From what I've seen, the larger map proposed here keeps the same sort of ratio as the current map.

16. Caesar Augustus

Caesar Augustus Prince

I think the issue with making Spain itself larger/better than it already is is that their whole THING is trying to manage a global empire despite their relatively meager core. A 5 city core is probably ok, but once you get to the point of having 6 (which that layout accommodates pretty easily; why wouldn't you found something in the Bilbao area?) I think you start to run into problems.

Also the Arabia distraction reminds me: Muscat could use being a better city site.

17. AtlantaMarty

They'll have 40% more colonial cities with this bigger map. On the original version of this bigger map, Spain is compressed vertically whereas the north coast of France is elongated. Shifting Iberia and most of France 1N and using that space to make Iberia taller makes a more accurate Europe, and also doesn't make Europe any larger - it just makes the proportions more accurate.

1SDAN likes this.
  18. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

I feel like the civics should help with colonialism. Or England would need to be half the size of India just to capture their historical territory.

19. Leoreth

I think it makes far more sense to adjust the stability rules to the map rather than the other way around.

20. AtlantaMarty

Agreed, but my proposal isn't about stability - it's about making Europe more accurate geographically.

I'll have access to my gaming computer in about a week - I'll upload screenshots that cover more area then.

1SDAN likes this.