1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bobby Martnen

Bobby Martnen Antifeminist

Also just caught this typo, it should say 80 x 150

But this is seriously amazing. It will be nice for Poland to be able to have both Warsaw and Cracow

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 11:30 PM
  2. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

Well, maybe because I'm biased about this I wanted to make a 3-city Philippines possible, especially because aside from historical significance it also has economic significance. At least in the Philippines. It's the most developed city in the Visayas (central PH Islands), actually. As a Filipino I just felt like Cebu really had to be there. (I hope inthesomeday agrees with me on this... :lol:)

Spoiler :
    (Random fact: I am actuallly from Davao, but I am currently studying in Manila right now. Still, I really want Cebu present. :lol:)

About the copper,... why did I just realize that now? We can put copper instead of gold on the Butuan tile. Scrap the gold, I guess, but it's fine. I missed that, apologies!

Point taken. I guess I'm the only one who does not find it weird. Oh, spatial constraints. :lol:

Oh, I haven't seen it; was looking for that. I actually had a hard time in North America. Thing is, I merely based on Google Maps because (1) repeated Alt+Tab is so annoying and takes a long time, and (2) I don't have an RFC modmod map to base city placements on, unlike RFCE/SoI/RFCA. I took into account the difference in the type of projections used in your RFC map and in Google Maps as well as relative distances to certain geographical features, but when I looked at Google Maps, Washington and New York looked really near. Which one is wrongly placed, Washington or New York? I'm guessing it's Washington--I may have estimated placement wrongly.

Oh well, I guess there's no option--one has to go... :'( :lol:

I actually planned to do that right away, but I still had to install Microsoft Office Picture Manager 2010 on my laptop before I could easily batch convert them to PNG format since I forgot to do so when I got this laptop. Forgot to get back on it since I was cramming for an exam early today. Anyway, it's in progress already, the Google Drive folder should be updated by now. Again, my apologies. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM
    inthesomeday likes this.
  3. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Pinoy-American here. Born in St. Louis, raised in San Diego. Family's from Iloilo City, and can confirm that Cebu is an economic necessity not only for the future native Civ but also to the Spanish, Japanese, and American occupiers.

4. Bautos42

Bautos42 Chieftain

Thanks, already fixed.

I apologize if this is seen as offending, but I do not think the historical relevance of the Philippines justifies three cities. The Philippines are certainly a great country, but comparing to regions of similar sice like England or Japan it just never had as much impact on world history. Now a 2 cities solution is already an improvement compared to the current one city situation. I personally see having two decent cities as much preferable than having three cramped cities just for the sake of having three cities there. If you're concerned about a potential civ there, two cities are enough to support a civilication (current Korea). Anyways, there are other historically more "important" civilizations like the Turks still not represented, so I do not see a Philipine Civ in the near future anyways. (Until Leoreth has reworked the Civ slot mechanics).

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Knight of Time Moderator

From a colonisation perspective, gold is probably more attractive.

1SDAN likes this.
  6. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I would like to give you a compliment on the detailed explanation of the changes. Together with the screenshot with the landmarks it is really clear what you changed. This makes it a lot easier for others to implement changes. :goodjob:

7. Leoreth

I agree, the rationale behind is always very useful.

8. ngazi

ngazi Chieftain

I really like what you did with Qinghai, but Shandong looks weird and too small. I'm no cartographer, but I have some suggestions from a historical standpoint.

Would be more realist with more river tiles in Sichuan, the Pearl River Delta, and Transoxiana, and more mountains and hills in southeastern Central Asia, surrounding the Hexi corridor, Chongqing, and large parts of southern China. Would be more fun if there was better defensive tiles and choke points in Bozhou Tusi, northern Sichuan, Hexi corridor, Shanhai pass, the Huai river area, and Myanmar. If that lake in east China is around Suzhou, may I suggest another lake around Hangzhou. The split in Vietnam looks a bit too far south.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM
  9. Leoreth

Something not very important but to note for future revisions: there should be a mountain pass to Tibet from the Kashmir region.

1SDAN and trevor like this.
  10. soul-breathing

soul-breathing Chieftain

I will focus on it when adjust china region.

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  11. trevor

trevor Chieftain

I'd move the outlet of the river 1N to better represent the bay & Golden Gate.

12. Bobby Martnen

Some more suggestions

1. Add 1 more tile to the west coast of Ireland to smooth it out - it looks better and is more realistic
    2. Add 1 more tile to southwestern Iberia so it is more square
    3. The northern coast of France and Holland looks off to me, but I'm not sure how to improve it.
    4. Move Britain and Ireland 1N and 1E, for more realistic placement vis-a-vis the rest of Europe.
    5. Make Lake Michigan somewhat wider

Here's a (badly) photoshopped version of the map showing Britain and Ireland shifted

Attached Files:

13. soul-breathing

soul-breathing Chieftain

May I ask what you refer to when you mentioned the lake around Hangzhou? Thousand Islet Lake or some lake other?

In my reply in #47 I've adjusted the shape of Yellow River, Yangtze River and Zhujiang River, also add Qiantang River and Min River(Fujian). Next I'll do more adjusts about resourses distribution and terrain changes(by year, for example, Manchuria could be marshes before Mongolia spawns).

14. Leoreth

I'm also thinking about Japan. The most important region there is southern Honshu, which needs to contain the two most important cities (Edo/Toukyou and Kyoutou). On the other hand northern Honshu takes up a lot of space and is neither very densely populated nor historically relevant. I wonder if it is possible to modify the island somewhat to make that possible with a realistic location for Toukyou (i.e. not on the east coast).

While doing research I also don't really understand the river there. The longest river in Japan is the Shinano, flowing north from the center of southern Honshu toward Niigata. The most important probably is the Tone which drains the Kantou plain and supplies Toukyou. Rather than whatever the current river is meant to represent (Abukuma?) there should at least be the latter.

Map of Japan if you want to look for yourself (warning large).

1SDAN likes this.
  15. Bobby Martnen

I've figured out how to make France and Holland look better. Just move Iberia and France 1 tile North. Here's a map of that (also with Britain shifted)

Also, Corsica would be better off attached to Sardinia or nonexistent then attached to mainland Italy.

Attached Files:

16. star15389

star15389 Chieftain

Most of the land in Tohoku can be worked by Tokyo so not the biggest deal if it's a bit richer than the real region. It would be great if Tokyo and Kyoto could both fill most of their fat crosses with land tiles and didn't overlap so much; even with lots of resources on Honshu those cities just do not cut it later on in the game. The Kanto plain is so rich, populous, and important late game that I think you could justify an FP-grassland-rice tile. I would also replace all the mountains in Japan with plains hills; the place has a dire need of hammers

17. Bobby Martnen

Some suggestions for improving accuracy of the cities in Central Europe
    1. Move Koenigsberg 1N and 1E. Not only is it more accurate, but it also makes room for Danzig
    2. Move Cracow 1N and 1W
    3. Move Warsaw 1E

Also, Palermo (1W of Catania) would be a better choice for the Sicilian city than Catania. It's both the regional capital and a much larger city.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    h0spitall3rz, bismarck_ and borhap88 like this.
  18. Leoreth

That was sort of my point; if you found Toukyou in the correct location you increase overlap with Kyoutou, so why not found a city in Tohoku instead? I agree about fertility in Kantou though.

1SDAN likes this.
  19. soul-breathing

soul-breathing Chieftain

A route from South Xinjiang to Kashmir, in China we call it Aksai Chin. It's an important route from Xinjiang to India in Ancient time.
    Spoiler :

Also hesitate if to change a peak in Sikkim to hill, I prefer not to change, because in the East there is also a route from Tibet to India(along the Yarlung Zangbo River). At the same time add a cow in Tibet to represent yaks.
    Spoiler :

bismarck_ likes this.
  20. 1SDAN

1SDAN Chieftain

Woah, I just noticed you're from China. I'm honestly a little shocked I didn't pick up on it sooner, XD.

How are you accessing this site? Does China not block it? Given the little info I've heard about it's "Great Firewall" as it's called it sounds like it blocks most positive discussions of democracy, though I may be misremembering or confusing it for something else. Is this site just not on their radar? Is the civ series okay despite it's usage of democracy as a civic in basically all the games?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions, China in particular is just a very interesting topic from a internet usage perspective, you know what with how internet censorship's been a pretty big topic not just pertaining to China but even also to terrorism and extremism here in the west.