Alternative Map for DOC

You could repurpose the National Park graphic from HR for this. The trees are separate from the base model and can easily be removed if desired. I've never quite got them to line up properly, thus the tree in the water when viewed from certain angles.

That's a great idea and worth trying.

Well, I tried. This is the result.
Spoiler :

I modified the z-axis, so it is a bit flatter than the original version. Here is a comparison between the original (left) and the flattened (right). The flattened version has some shading, but I should be able to modify that.
Spoiler :

BONUS:
The original file had to be scaled down, otherwise it looks like this.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 448
  • Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 456
I'm excited that Murmansk will be somewhat viable now.

Maybe place some trees around the lake, and make three versions with different placement of the lakes.

Would it be possible to import assets from civ Vi? some natural wonders would look good as lakes if they were changed a bit.

Completed the integration of BarbarianX's suggestions:

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0338.JPG

Enlarged the Caspian Sea to the east, added Tabarestan to the south of the Caspian, added a land tile in Shirvan, placed some hills in the Ferghana valley.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0339.JPG

Rearranged peaks in northern and southern Persia, added the Bay of Hormuz, added some rivers, moved resources to open tiles for Isfahan and Shiraz/Persepolis.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0340.JPG

Rearranged the course of the Indus and added some tributaries, added a tributary to the Ganges, expanded the Ganges delta including floodplains.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0341.JPG

Reshaped the Rhine and added its IJssel estuary, added the Main river, added two land tiles to the Netherlands and covered them with marshes to be removed on the Dutch spawn.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0342.JPG

Adjusted the course of the Ebro, Garonne and Loire rivers.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0343.JPG

Finally, the Nile. I implemented most of the suggestions, including the more pronounced Nile delta and the removal of some marshes in Sudan. Then I moved the Nubian curve of the Nile 1S to give more space to Nubia vis a vis Egypt. Two Nubian cities (e.g. Meroe and Dongola) are now possible without too much squeeze, and you can also found Khartoum or Sennar.

As far as I can tell, this leaves only ozqar's Mexico to work on.

I'm not familiar with Finland but most of the parts of Canada with a lot of lakes are actually mostly to completely uninhabited, utterly unproductive land (in game terms, it's currently represented by tundra), so I don't think it should give any sort of tile bonus at all.
I think at best they should have a commerce or production bonus (+1 tops). That way any bonus would still be limited by food production which would be difficult to boost. I think a bonus is reasonable though, many lakes made the Rideau Canal possible in Eastern Ontario which was built as an important route in case of war with the USA. The many lakes and rivers of Canada made the fur trade across the continent viable before there were any roads.

I think at best they should have a commerce or production bonus (+1 tops). That way any bonus would still be limited by food production which would be difficult to boost. I think a bonus is reasonable though, many lakes made the Rideau Canal possible in Eastern Ontario which was built as an important route in case of war with the USA. The many lakes and rivers of Canada made the fur trade across the continent viable before there were any roads.

Commerce might be okay and is at least somewhat thematically appropriate (although really that might still be giving too much credit to those areas), but production definitely doesn't make any sense either IMO.

Here are the files for the new map. I used the map from Bautos from this post. And the python files from this post. All files are updated to match the latest update. I also included all new files which are required to make it work, such as the art for the new resources.

It is playable in the sense it does not crash, but many features still need to be updated to the new map.
When I enter the alternative map, the game auto-play by turns, and can't stop it. How can I stop it and edit the map in World Builder.

I use the map on #844

Commerce might be okay and is at least somewhat thematically appropriate (although really that might still be giving too much credit to those areas), but production definitely doesn't make any sense either IMO.

I imagine the lakes tile would mostly be used in fur-trading regions so maybe a bonus could end with the industrial revolution when railroads would have made trade along waterways irrelevant? Or maybe we can just add the Fur Trade to North America (like the Silk Trade). My heritage demands I suggest this likely very unpopular idea.

EDIT: As far as the lakes tile goes it seems it might be better to just build from the ground up (don't know how difficult that is). The National Park feature really just looks repetitive and putting it side-by-side with more of the same tile will just make the repetition unbearable.

I can't wait until this becomes the DOC map.

In case this has not been mentioned, I think the UHVs mentioning control of a certain percentage of land and/or population should be checked.

EDIT: Am I seeing wrong or that Central Europe can support many more cities than the current map? It looks like Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Königsberg, as well as Danzig, Munich, and Prague fit there.

Last edited:
I can't wait until this becomes the DOC map.

In case this has not been mentioned, I think the UHVs mentioning control of a certain percentage of land and/or population should be checked.

EDIT: Am I seeing wrong or that Central Europe can support many more cities than the current map? It looks like Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Königsberg, as well as Danzig, Munich, and Prague fit there.

Yep, I believe so too. In addition to that, Poland could in theory control Krakow, Warsaw, Poznan and Gdansk simultaneously. Man, this map is a gamechanger for the region (and not only this region of course).

When I enter the alternative map, the game auto-play by turns, and can't stop it. How can I stop it and edit the map in World Builder.

I use the map on #844
This is likely due to some other error, enable Python exceptions and then fix it.

I think the Tagus River should exit Iberia to the south instead of to the west, and the wine in Portugal should be moved as it looks like the more accurate spot for Lisbon.

EDIT:
  1. I also think Beijing needs a river to be situated on. I don't know how to put that on the map, though.
  2. Can Korea get horses? Maybe on the hill tile north of P'yongyang.

Last edited:
I've been gaming out a CNM for North America & I've a request: shift Newfoundland & Nova Scotia 1E & add two additional tiles for Boston & Providence (maybe with a pair of rivers to represent the Charles & Narragansett Bay). It'd allow for a New York to the east of the Hudson without pushing Boston to much to the north. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Mid Atlantic.JPG
    Mid Atlantic.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 185
  • New England & Atlantic Canada.JPG
    New England & Atlantic Canada.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 178
Isn't that a bit drastic? It also doesn't look very natural. Why can't New York be east of the Hudson? Cities often wind up on the wrong side of a river because it fits better with the overall geographical configuration, for example Rome north of the Tiber.

Eastern Massachusetts & Rhode Island is, judging a quick glance at map, about the same area as the northern end of the Netherlands & putting New York to the east of the river would allow for a tight but possible Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

That's true but not entirely comparable because Europe is enlarged and the Netherlands have to sustain an entire civilization. I too would like Pittsburgh on the map, but your solution looks a bit too invasive to justify it. But I haven't tried my own hand at it.

Top Bottom