• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Always Peace Culture Challenge - Warmongers need not apply.

twansalem

Warlord
I've been playing around with the settings a lot lately, and I thought these setting might be interesting to the builder types out there.

It is a settler difficulty, duel size pangea, high sea level, 18 Civ game with Louis. The catch? It's an always peace game. You can't capture cities, and there simply isn't enough space to build any new cities. The goal is to obtain a conquest victory by culture flipping every city on the map. So here's the one game where the advice,"Make sure to neglect your army, and build as many wonders as you can," is actually sound.

In order to do this, I of course had to disable both culture and domination victories. Space race is enabled in the save file, but that would be an incredibly easy win. The diplomatic victory is also enabled, mostly just so that the Apostolic Palace can be built, so be careful accepting too many vassals, you might win a diplomatic victory without really trying for it if you vote for yourself. I had to play this a few times to pull off the conquest victory, finally winning in 2043. I usually play on prince difficulty though, so I suspect that some of the better players could do it much more quickly on the first try.

This map was rolled by the random map generator, but I attached it because it is the ideal map for these settings, as you start pretty much right in the middle of the continent. I highly suspect it wouldn't be possible to culture flip all cities if you started in one corner, but I could be wrong.

Have fun.

Attachments

• Louis XIV BC-4000_CultureChallenge.CivBeyondSwordSave
    189.5 KB · Views: 125
Played with Events off, hopefully no one minds.

1886AD (turn 313 of 500): Mission accomplished.

Spoiler victory screenshot :

I'm a Monarch player btw. I didn't optimise too much, so it's likely possible to finish even earlier than this.

My thoughts:

Spoiler :
This challenge is really more about denying culture to the AI than accumulating it yourself. AIs that get a religion or wonder are a lot tougher to dislodge later on,
especially if they are right at the corner of the map. In my playthrough Boudica (SW corner) got Buddhism, and in the end she held out about 30 turns longer than anyone
else. In the late game with Free Speech, corps and Eiffel, a new city can start churning out 1000+ :culture:/turn straight away, so piling on culture is trivial at this stage. The trick is getting that far along ASAP without missing things on the way.

Key points in the game:

Start: Even without Myst to start, Settler level bonuses are enough to beat the AI to one of the first two religions. Other religions weren't prioritised especially, but still I made sure to get them before the AI. Henge and Oracle are crucial: delaying these lengthens the culture doubling time hugely because of how the year counter works. The sooner you start flipping cities, the earlier you can put pressure on the next ring. Sitting Bull disappeared just 75 tuns in :D

Music: I got this about the same time I flipped the first city. GAs give newly flipped cities a huge head start in pressuring the next line of cities. Sistine and Cathedrals are huge too, obviously.

Lib: I took it early to open FS, but I'm not sure if this was worth it compared to saving for an advanced tech like Medicine. Tough one to judge.

Culture Corps: Sushi (despite it being Pangaea - there are a few big coastal seafood start locations) and Creative are fantastic on this map. The bonus :food: and :hammers: get newly flipped cities up to speed with infrastructure extremely fast, too. Only 2 resources for Civ Jewellers, so meh.

Build order: Settled 1SW (on banana). Worker - Worker - Stonehenge - Oracle - Pyramids - Library, then other wonders, culture buildings and general infrastructure. More workers thrown in as my empire grew :D

Techs: (Ag + Wheel) - Myst - Poly - Hunting (2 elephants in BFC) - Mining - Bronze - Masonry - Mono - Priesthood - Writing - COL (from Oracle) - Math (chops). After that I went for CS, Music and Lib, diverting occasionally for useful infrastructure, then more wonders and religions before AI got them. With those comfortably in the bag, I shot for Medicine and Combustion for corps.

Civics: Rep - Bureau until Lib, then FS - Caste - Merc - Pacifism.

I put Cathedrals (2 temples needed on Duel) on the current front line as soon as they were available (didn't bother spreading more than 4 religions), and less important wonders in cities with nothing else useful to build. Only missed wonders were GLH, Colossus (no coast access until much later) and Great Wall (meh). In the end I put both corps in every city, plus factories (with 3GD) and health buildings to supercharge :hammers: -> :culture:. Tile improvements were mostly farms until Sushi, then workshops everywhere.

Stats:

Spoiler Stats :

Overall a very interesting and fun challenge. Thanks twansalem for posting it :thumbsup:

Attachments

• culturechallenge_win.JPG
    culturechallenge_win.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,552
  • culturechallenge_stats.JPG
    culturechallenge_stats.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,492
1836 AD

With some luck and more EP optimization WAY faster should be possible, but here's the theory:

1) Whore early wonders, ESPECIALLY sistine + AP
2) Spread culture espionage mission

View attachment Louis XIV AD-1836.CivBeyondSwordSave

That's a first attempt, I can't be bothered to optimize in such games so feel free to beat it.

Wow Impressive. But probably not as fun as getting a huge stack and smashing people to bits.

Is it me or is Rome a dummy civ here? I can't find them anywhere.

Anyway, I think the key is flipping that first city asap. I don't know if it was settling in the position that I did or not. Also, I started using espionage culture asap but should have focused it on one city as opposed to several. Ridiculous how long it took to flip the first city.

Thanks OP for very interesting challenge, but it is imo too much luck dependant.

I got half of the AI's through AP resolutions :). The other half through cultural revolts.

Around 1800 AD I had 4 AI's left, culture over 75% everywhere and yet I finished at 1905.

If anyone knows foolproof way of flipping not based on 6-8% chance, tell me (except for AP resolutions which stopped popping with 4 AI's left).

Just for lulz i post screenshot of number of spies built. Never before I buit so many spies (and maybe not even military units :-D)

Spoiler :

Top Bottom