• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Amphibious Elephants :confused:

Matthew5117

Emperor
"Elephant Rush Tactical Guide"

Getting to construction and war elephants before the enemy has built up an impeneratrable defense and without having to use catapults to storm cities has baffled the minds of such leaders as Hannible and Porus. Keep in mind the term "rush" implies a swift decisive victory, ergo 2 movement is required for a 1 movement unit that comes later than a standard rush in the game. A quandry, but to quote the great chess master Capablanca , "A good player is always lucky." The theory is threefold. The army should consist of
1. spies to lower city defense to zero
2. Strong navy with good trireme or caravel support
3. Amphibeous Marine War Elephants.

The attack route should follow the coast- a land invasion in conjunction with the navy in order to get promotions to make sure your elephants make it to amphibeous and you can swap them back and forth between the fleet. Any surviving land units park outside the non target first coastal city and pillage
while that city is building reinforcements. The fleet then hits the second coastal city and razes. disembarked troops hang a second then reload and head towards the easiest Spy located target, Marine elephants attack and raze.
something Hannible should have done if he were a better general.

This is a quote from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6869854, unfortunately, it has been closed.

Anyways, why are Amphibious Elephants so good? Why do people consider the amphibious promotion worthwhile? While were at this, could amphibious elephants consist of a whole army (meaning no catapults, horse archers, mace men etc.) except for spies?

Attacko's tips are not to be taken in earnest. :3

get this man some salt

'n pepa....

Push it real good.

"this is why the thread is locked "

That is incorrect. The thread was closed because it is a tactic and not a strategy. No where does the moderator state any opinion as to the effectiveness or non effectiveness of this proven method.:scan:

SPAM! I SAY SPAM!

Guys, seriously, I'm here to get answers.

So, stop discussing why the thread was locked, and write something understandable while you're at it.

'n pepa? get the man some salt? *what in the world?*

Although the thread locking tactic always seems effective to me ;) QED

SPAM! I SAY SPAM!

Guys, seriously, I'm here to get answers.

So, stop discussing why the thread was locked, and speak english while you're at it.

'n pepa? *what in the world?*

Never heard of salt 'n pepa? I feel really really old now :(

EDIT: My soundcard isn't working, but these may be the droids you are looking for (Jedi mind trick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV5yGKWjv4

EDIT2: Yes, they are chubby. This was before talent got pwned by mimers ;)

Ahh... that makes so much more sense. Salt and pepa (pepper).

lol

I searched for amphibious elephants but nothing relevant came up. Could you give me the link please?

Never mind.

Elephants are good but slow

Ships are fast(er)

Amphibious is necessary for effective sea attacks.. without it you get a -50% penalty for attacking from a boat (-25% attacking across a river).

Sure it's a sound tactic, but doesn't wreak havoc on the AI the way scouts with commando promotion do. You can move all over their empire, drawing the units out of their cities to sack with your main force. Also, this tactic has a much longer time window as you can even upgrade to explorers; and scouts only cost 15 hammers to build so it doesn't matter if you lose some!

Spoiler :
Spoilered For Immense Sarcasm
Well, I for one would say the elephants strategy is completely weak; I don't know if that original thread was a joke or spam though. If you asked me to evaluate the strategy seriously, it's very dangerous and ineffective; at any level of play where one can't already walk over the AI it might well cost you the game. Elephants can't gain city raider promotions and thus couldn't kill anything much stronger than archers, certainly not longbowmen, even with amphibious. Plus, ships are expensive investments and can easily be sunk because the highest defensive bonus is 10%; you'd be much better off building more land troops and walking on roads to your enemies at that point in the game. It is possible this "guide" was written for low difficulty level players where it's a joke to outresearch and outproduce the AI anyway, but the strategy is not ideal.

Amphib Elephants are not useful because the amphib promotion is available after combat 2 which means you need to get to 10XP or 8XP for char leaders. So to do that you need to go into vassalage and theo and still need a another 2xp to get there. But for the Char leaders i guess it could work lol

Amphib Elephants are not useful because the amphib promotion is available after combat 2 which means you need to get to 10XP or 8XP for char leaders. So to do that you need to go into vassalage and theo and still need a another 2xp to get there. But for the Char leaders i guess it could work lol

You could do it with gers also.

" Elephants can't gain city raider promotions and thus couldn't kill anything much stronger than archers, certainly not longbowmen, even with amphibious"

This is a strange assertion - it has been my experience that War Elephants tear through longbowmen better than any other unit and are almost overpowered compared to other units of the era. The tactic described was formulated to answer a question on an old thread asking about how one could best pull off an elephant rush. Since "rush" implies speed this method was theorized.

Finally answers.

I thought this was a tactic for higher levels (monarch for example), but as mentioned, I guess it's for lower levels and various reasons support that. Thank you for the great replies though.

@Soirana
Need I mention that I no longer need the link since I found it on my own.

It's a tactic for lower levels insofar as you can get away with all kind of bad tactics at lower levels as long as you do some things right at the same time.

Just to keep this thread as de-railed as possible, I think the "salt" comment from Jerry meant "Take Attacko's articles with a grain of salt".

Top Bottom