An objective(ish) comparison between this and New Dawn?

ktek78

Chieftain
Hello all. After getting a little tired of Civ 6, I've decided to jump into one of the big overhauls of Civ IV. It seems like it's a toss-up between Realism Invictus and A New Dawn, but I'd be interested to hear what the similarities and differences between the two mods are from people who've played both of them.

I'm looking for the deepest (therefore most satisfying) Civ experience possible, particularly for multiplayer. On the RI homepage, I'm seeing a lot of references to realism and historical detail, but does it add AND things like revolutions, barbarians becoming their own Civs, deeper diplomacy etc? I also quite like the idea of AND's flexible difficulty, which will hopefully keep weaker players in my group from getting bored halfway through a game!

In short, I don't know much about RI, and want to know whether this or A New Dawn is better suited to the experience I'm looking for.

Anyone care to chime in?

Well, I could try answering your questions regarding RI, but I couldn't compare RI to AND since I haven't played it. RI doesn't have the things you mentioned (revolutions, barbarians becoming civs and dynamic difficulty), but it adds a lot of other stuff. So if there is anything in particular you're interested in, ask and I'll answer.

Well, I could try answering your questions regarding RI, but I couldn't compare RI to AND since I haven't played it. RI doesn't have the things you mentioned (revolutions, barbarians becoming civs and dynamic difficulty), but it adds a lot of other stuff. So if there is anything in particular you're interested in, ask and I'll answer.

Thanks for the reply. Sure, so what are 'headline' systems that RI adds to the based game, when it comes to diplomacy, tech trees, the kinds of things I mentioned earlier etc? The RI website really doesn't tell me much. Or is there maybe a document I could look at that shows all the main features that RI adds?

RI has a manual that outlines all the basic features (and has some lengthy rants on our overall design philosophy). Don't know if it is too much info, but you can always just skim through.

Attachments

• Realism Invictus 3.4 Manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 595
Just what I needed. Cheers.

Try both. Honestly RI, AND, and FFH2 are probobly all better than any of the mainline games anyway, so you are gonna have a good time no matter which you pick.
Personally I like to stick with RI just because the flavor is good, and the balancing is fantastic. Going back to using generic swordsmen for every civ just doesn't feel as good.

Not Revolutions, but Realism Invictus does have Revolts.
When we are in the Slavery or Serfdom Civics, Barbarian slaves appear outside our cities occasionally and will pillage tiles and attack our units.

Top Bottom