Anno Domini for Civ IV

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
As some of you know, I created Anno Domini for Civ III, which took the best part of a year to make and it was released around the same time as Civ IV. It even had its own website - which I plan to make into a website dedicated to the Civ IV version. You can link to the website from my signature. For those of you not in the know, it's a pre-gunpowder mod, going from the dawn of time to around the time of the Magna Carta.

My plan was to start creating Civ IV AD as soon as Warlords came out (which is next Friday for us in the UK) - so the time has come!! I aim to take a month or so to upload an initial version and add to it over time.

In the original game, there were mainly European and Mediterranean civs, though there were also civs such as India and Arabia. In the Civ IV version, I'd aim to add Asian civs too. As a leaderhead creator in Civ III, I'd like the new version to have animated leaderheads....but unique animated leaderheads are currently not possible in Civ IV. Whilst the amended leaderheads are very well done, it would be nice to use new artwork.

What I thought I'd do is create some static leaderheads as placeholders for when we do find out how to make our own animated ones. I'll keep the animated ones that are being used for now and probably re-use a couple - Mehmed II would be usable as Alp Arslan of the Seljuk Turks and Shaka as Menelik of Ethiopia.

So the questions are: which civs should be included? Who should be the leaders? What traits should they have (two per civ)? What about unique units and buildings? I'd like to keep it to one unique unit per civ - at least for now - though flavour units are fine (i.e. where the artwork is different but the stats precisely the same as the core unit). The techs, wonders, buildings and units will be similar to those used in the Civ III version.

The ones that I would like to see are:

King Agis of Sparta : Aggressive and Protective : unique unit = Spartan Officer (Phalanx with Shock and Cover) : unique building = war academy (replaces barracks : all units get City Garrison I)

Queen Teuta of Illyria : Aggressive and Industrious : unique unit = Illyrian Raider (Swordsman with Amphibious and City Raider I) : unique building = pirate harbour (replaces harbour : all ships get Navigation I)

and of course....

Boudicca of the Iceni : Charismatic and Financial : unique unit = Iceni Chariot (Chariot with Shock and March) : unique building = Iceni Shrine (replaces shrine : -25% war weariness)

Excellent Rob. Great news.

You don't need to limit yourself to the same vanilla traits for leaders and certainly don't need to keep them all at just 2 per leader. Create new ones, weigh them differently, and make each leader truly unique.

You have some excellent mods to borrow ideas, graphics, civic ideas, ect from as well; including TAM, EE3, and the middle ages mod.

Definitely keep us updated!

I thought that as you can have multiple leaders for each civ, it would allow me to "sneak in" artwork that would have been met with "this civ needs to have X as a ruler, not the leaderhead you've done!" back in the Civ III days. Here's an example of such art : Ripsimia of the Bulgars.

Great graphical work! I'm blown away!

I presume this mod will only take place in the "old world", then? No Maya/Inca/Aztec...?

dh_epic said:
Great graphical work! I'm blown away!
Thank-you very much!!

dh_epic said:
I presume this mod will only take place in the "old world", then? No Maya/Inca/Aztec...?
Yes, that would be correct - it's an "old world" mod.

Here's Geiseric of the Vandals : busy sacking Rome at the point I did this ;) .

Has anyone got any suggestions for civs/traits/etc as per post one?

The Vandal guys actually looks like he's in a part of Rome that I saw and forgot the name of. (Hint-It's where the Italian president lives.)

Prestidigitator said:
I'd love to see a Babylon in your mod.
Babylon will be there, along with your Mesopotamian additions!

Prestidigitator said:
Rob, isn't it ?:thumbsup:
Sure is!!

The final preview of the evening is Teuta of Illyria. Don't be fooled by that sweet exterior - she's got her raiders set to plunder your cities!!

In Africa, you need to cover the bases.

Bantu (before Zulu) in South Africa.
Ghana (preceded Mali) in West Africa.
Egypt and Phoenicia/Carthage in North Africa.
Nubia/Kush and/or Ethiopia/Aksum in East Africa.

To have at least a solid 4 African Civilizations would seem reasonable, along with several middle eastern civs, several asian civs, and dozens of european civs. Ideally, I'd like to see 6. (I know I'm just speaking for myself.)

dh_epic said:
In Africa, you need to cover the bases.

Bantu (before Zulu) in South Africa.
Ghana (preceded Mali) in West Africa.
Egypt and Phoenicia/Carthage in North Africa.
Nubia/Kush and/or Ethiopia/Aksum in East Africa.

To have at least a solid 4 African Civilizations would seem reasonable, along with several middle eastern civs, several asian civs, and dozens of european civs. Ideally, I'd like to see 6. (I know I'm just speaking for myself.)

You'll be pleased to know that I plan to have the above civs in there. Also included in Africa are the Nok and the Isoko, both being in the Civ III version of the game at some point in its development (although the Nok didn't make the final cut due to the 31 civ limit).

Cool stuff! I enjoyed your mod in civ 3. Look forward to this one. I can play test this when time comes. If that would help? I have no outside life besides work. So i play about 60 hours a week, lol it actually keeps me sane!

rockinroger said:
Cool stuff! I enjoyed your mod in civ 3. Look forward to this one. I can play test this when time comes. If that would help? I have no outside life besides work. So i play about 60 hours a week, lol it actually keeps me sane!
Once the initial stuff's done, I'm uploading it so that everyone can playtest. It's a completely different policy to what I did in Anno Domini for Civ III, where I waited until the end. I've noticed that uploading the mod and then improving it, getting feedback along the way, works well for other Civ IV mods.

Top Bottom