Annoying freasing up.

Souron

The Dark Lord
As of last week, my computer has been having a problem: every few miniutes or so the process "System" takes up ~100% of the CPU and freases up the mouse and other programs. It takes a few seconds durring wich my mouse is jerky, and programs, even including solitaire, run very slowly.

I've tried running Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, Norton, McAfee Virus scan Enterprise, and hijackthis. None of these fixed the problem.
Obviously since it is the system process, I cannot terminate it from task manager.

The only thing I remmember doing before this started was installing firefox extentions.

Please help.

My computer frose up like this three times while I was typeing this message.

Have you tried uninstalling the firefox extensions and seeing if that solves the problem? Or perhaps using the system restore function to go back before the install? (Since something may have been installed along with the extentions...)

Turner said:
Have you tried uninstalling the firefox extensions and seeing if that solves the problem? Or perhaps using the system restore function to go back before the install? (Since something may have been installed along with the extentions...)
I got rid of one of them. The others I can't immagine being the problem. And even if one of them did install this bug, chances are uninstalling it won't uninstall the bug. It is not the function of Firefox extentions to mess with the operating system.

I don't back up my system often, so my restore point may be as much as a year old.

Souron said:
I got rid of one of them. The others I can't immagine being the problem. And even if one of them did install this bug, chances are uninstalling it won't uninstall the bug. It is not the function of Firefox extentions to mess with the operating system.

I don't back up my system often, so my restore point may be as much as a year old.
Which is why I suggested the system restore option. Usually, tho, it's done automatically. Might as well try it and see if it did one. And if it didn't, you're no worse of than you are now, right?

My only experience of computer freeze was due to a worm virus. But that was many years ago. However, Turner's advice for a system restore was very helpful to me recently and very sucessful. I would also recommend you give it a try.

Turner said:
Which is why I suggested the system restore option. Usually, tho, it's done automatically. Might as well try it and see if it did one. And if it didn't, you're no worse of than you are now, right?
Well this worked, except now Firefox won't run. That is it runs, but as a backround process without a window.

Maybe I'll try to reinstall it.

Top Bottom