1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Classic SG ...

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

I will offiically answer these:

1. Yes, Japanese are gone
    2. Foothold in Eastern English continent - though soon in American
    3 American did a sneak attack with a stupid dragoon on a very fortified city. Silly AI
    4. Just the small city of Lahinch. No biggie but still annoying because I had to spend resources there.
    5. The engineer - as I explained in my notes - was supposed to be my foothold on the American continent. I landed it on a forest with a road that leads right to it, and without any support for defense (my oversight). Yes, we ARE still at war with America.
    6. Well, Apollo does sort-of go boom... Wanted to see the map and I just do not fear any space race at this point.
    7. The four items that filled my day were Mass Transit and Airports for improvements (never ending with those) and freight and howitzers with units (flown about via airports). Basically, if you did not have it, you got a mass transit. Then, if you did not have it, you got an airport. Then, if you had a barracks, you built a howie. If not, freight. If all of your routes were accounted for, then perhaps something else. Of course, once stealth hit, the fighters started becoming priority.

2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

The Duke is up next isn't he?

3. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

that's my understanding...

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Yes, I'm up. I've been trying to find time to even look at it right now. I don't think I'll get to it and I'll be without an internet connection for a week in a day or two, so I need to be skipped for now.

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

I would be up after Duke, but won't be able to look at things until early next week, so Duke - by all means keep your place.

6. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

If I understand correctly Duke cannot play until a week from now so perhaps it would be best if Sharkbait played now followed by Duke ?

BTW nice set of turns by Kev. It's now obvious that if I want to I will be able to nuke every AI civ left once it's my turn since we are close to the Americans now :D :nuke:.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

I got the save onto my laptop, so I'll play it and post when I have access to an internet connection again sometime next week.

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Just a quick update....

I'm only on the second turn so far.

15 or so cities taken thus far; major barb uprising very close to our transportation route. Hopefully I'll be able to get some troops down there to keep them from taking the city.

Vikings and English may not make it past my round of turns.

9. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I'm back in town after a week+ of visiting family. Fine work once again by the experts -- oh yeah, Kev, I'm with you on the moustache drawing -- I'd like to someday get into inks over crayons...;)

I'm wondering if the good Duke will put the chalenge in for Sharkbait:

Launch a top flight spaceship & see if the next player can conquer in his set of five turns.

10. Duke of Marlbrough

I haven't even thought about a spaceship.

33 structruals, 16 components, 3 modules would need, what, 83 freight. I think I could get one built by the end of my turns.

The Spanish are basically set to lose all but 9 of their cities in the first assault wave. The only challenge would be to get to all the American cities in time.

It would be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BTW, another round of Barbs showed up.

11. Duke of Marlbrough

Ok, here's as much as I played.

1778 AD –

American Transport sunk outside Baltimore; 5 units killed.

After delivering 11,000 gold worth of freight, the English cities of Cambridge, Reading, Brighton, Exeter, and Naples taken. A couple spies used to sabotage units to gain vet status. (later realizing that vet spies aren’t much use since we aren’t bribing cities) Partisans removed after taking cities.

Jorvik, Aarhus, and Jarrow taken from the Vikings. Partisan removal completed.

Spanish Develop Steel. Brand new Cruiser comes out of Spanish city. I love those same turn productions.

American Bomber kills Engineer sitting in the woods, Ironclad sinks Transport.
    Diplomat attempt stopped by Spy in Dover (I guess vet spies have a bit of a use for this).
    English Ironclad kills Howitzer along the cost.
    English Bomber attacks Isle of Skye and dies against Aegis Cruiser in city.

Barbarian Uprising near Portadown.

1780 AD –

Viking cities of Lunde, Sigtuna, Birka, Trondheim, Kaupang, and Roskilde taken.

Spanish Steel Fusion Power.

Decline chance to cancel Alliance since I have engineers in the field pre-railroading for the invasion.

English capital to Birmingham. Various English attacks repelled.

Barb uprising near Kells.

1782 –

72 barbs killed in main stack from last turn.

Cunaxa, and Leeds taken from English. Carlisle, Leicester, Gloucester, and Birming ham emptied of defenders.

Viking cities of Lindholm, Hladir, and Westness emptied of defenders.

Various deliveries made.

Two stealth fighters rush built to handle the new Barb uprising, but the quick reaction force was able to take out the new stack, killing 72.

Spaceship production started per Old n Slows idea. :D 3 Modules built.

1784 –

All Viking cities emptied, lone Partisan claims all the cities; 20 or so Partisans disappear in the blink of an eye. Viking civilization destroyed.

Paratrooper dropped into the old Barb uprising and captures leader for 200 gold.

Same process as the Viking cities for the English. English civilization destroyed.

33 structurals and 16 components built.

Spanish develop Refining.

Multiple American attacks repelled. They have a LOT of units in the sea, including a couple loaded transports and plenty of air/sea units for support. If we don't clear the seas soon, they will probably be on our shores soon.

The spaceship is built and ready to launch, but I didn't want to lock sharkbait into it being sent. If he sees fit to try it out, he can launch it and then let the race begin.

Overall, we have tons of units, but so do the Spanish and Americans. The Americans advantage of being way up north will help them (slightly), but their rough terrain may help them even more. My plan was to build a drop off city at (33,27) to feed troops into.

Stealth Fighters and paratroopers are ready to hit most of the island cities that exsist. We have tons of troops on the Spanish mainland, so I doubt they will be much of an issue. The trick there will be triggering a war with them (which is why I didn't launch the spaceship). I think just talking with them may drop us out of the alliance as their happiness with us seems to have dropped a bit. Maybe demanding they remove their units will goad them to war?

This is the save right when the turn first starts, so I guess the first thing to do is to clear all of the engineers of their mining orders so they are precharged for rail building.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

A quick update - launched ship 1786, arrival 1791. 1787 - 3 cities American left (and won't be able to get to this turn) and 0 Spanish cities left.

13. Duke of Marlbrough

I figured as much. I almost sent stuff one turn backwards instead of getting them in position for attacking, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I hope the paratroopers helped with the osland cities. :)

14. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

They certainly did - many thanks. :goodjob:

I built Manhattan, but haven't had a chance to suitcase anything since I needed all my engineers for Spain rather than for cleaning up, and the remaining cities are a bit isolated so may not be able to clear up on the same turn.

15. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

Thanks to the situation set up by the great players before me, this was a cakewalk. A bit disappointed with myself in not getting the last 3 cities in 1787 - I didn't actually try and RB a unit in every city the turn before - thought I had enough. But even so I'm not sure I'd have had units that could reach all of them.

The shortish version to spare you all the bloodshed:

1786(1):

Freight production ended - engineers and howies, with a few stealth fighters and paratroops where needed. Lots of rush buying.

Founded Bash Cunaxa on east side of Spain cities for when alliance dissolved. Engineers nearby charged.

US Beachhead founded at (32,26) - done here so that I get get started this turn. Washington, Philadelphia, NY, Boston, Baltimore, Oxford, Denver taken, New Orleans emptied. Capital to Chicago. Barb city of Skara taken.

Manhattan project and SETI RB from a few shields.

Spaceship launched - to arrive 1791.

Meet Spanish, refuse demand for Rocketry, still won't cancel alliance. Ask for gift, and this works - alliance dissolved! :)

I lose Boston to Americans as I only had an engineer in it - 11g taken plus Computers, start SETI.

1787(1):

Visit Spain - insist troops withdrawn - WAR!!! :D

Lots of death and destruction, Spain falls, US down 3 cities I can't reach but will die next turn. If anyone wants more details I will be happy to supply. Didn't have too much to spare taking Spain.

Guerilla uprising near Portadown.

1788(2):

Last 3 cities fall.

Tax to 100%. No further efforts at points mongering though. Hit space bar many times to get to end of turn.

Score 4198 (-20 pollution I couldn't reach). 671% (Magnificent). Pop 157MM.

86 engineers, 108 howies, 76 transports, 27 stealth fighters (a word of advice: when I rule the world and you are all my adoring subjects, don't volunteer to be a stealth fighter pilot. The chances of you being sent on a one way mission are roughly 100%).

So when's the next game????

So here's the save just before the last city falls:

Attached Files:

16. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

For some reason I managed not to notice until now that Sharkbait has finshed playing (actually almost 2 weeks ago).

After Duke conquered more cities than I expected I was ready for the worst: That I wouldn't get the chance to nuke anyone. Actually I don't think I fired a single shot at the AI civs in this game :D (I killed a few barbs though).

I for one am interested in another game, possibly with some new restrictions/rules (a possibly interesting idea: No more than one caravan/freight delivery per turn). Anyone else from this game interested ?

Regarding this save: I assume the game is finished and we are not going for a spaceship landing ?

17. TimTheEnchanter

I'm up for another one - the NFL season is upon us so my obsessions will be more focused in that direction, but I should have enough time to handle a succession game every now and then.

18. Duke of Marlbrough

19. TimTheEnchanter

The speed with which this game ended was astounding. My last set of turns ended 1730. I'm pretty sure we made it to 1750 without firing a shot in anger against the AIs. To completely conquer a map of this size, where the AI civs had so many cities, in less than 40 years (20 turns) just blows me away. I know we did a lot of preparations and infrastructure work before going on the offensive, but I didn't think we were that close to total domination yet.

I almost wonder if a smaller map might be more of a challenge because the AIs will be able to dominate the map before we have a chance to expand our base.

20. Duke of Marlbrough

Once I opened the save for my round I figured I could have wiped out the map if I played the full 5 turns. The only things that I felt were lacking were some engineers, some transports at the front, and extra units (just to make sure). The pile of freight that got delivered before pushing on the English provided plenty of cash to get all that done (and even rush produce a fast spaceship in one turn).

The advanced planning and set-up was more than I could have even hoped for. :goodjob:

I think a smaller map, with large landmasses would be more difficult (initially) but then be easier once we were able to turn the corner against the AI.