Another Harbor Situation...

JimboThrasher

Chieftain
I realize this is commonly brought up but i believe i understand the mechanics of the game, yet do not understand why my trade routes arn't connecting.

-I build a harbor in my capital city first, before any other one was created.
-I then build a harbor on the new continent, no trade route.
-Researched Astronomy, no trade route again.
-purchased another harbor on my new continent after astronomy and still no trade route.

I attached some pictures of the cities as well as the save file... Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction because i'm confused... the only thing i can think of is if the capital and new continent are on different bodies of water, and thats impossible since i sailed from one to the other.

Thanks

-JimboThrasher
EDIT: I just ran the verify integrity of game content and it said one file failed and will will be required, could this have been the issue?

Attachments

• New World.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 137
Explore the ocean around those two cities; is the most southern one connected?

no the southern most one is landlocked. I'll try to explore the ocean a little and see what that does.

EDIT: No it didnt work, i explored around the two cities i want to connect and it didn't do anything...

I think you need a clear path through the ocean for it to trigger

yep wydon you were exactly right! Learn something new everyday. I built a caravel and just ran to my cities and they all popped. Thanks for your help figuring that out.

Do harbors have to be on different cities for their effect to work? The Arabs once built a city right on an isthmus connecting my capital to 2 cities on a landmass. I built a harbor on both of them, I had a path cleared, and there was no trade route. Does your capital have to be a coastal city for it to work?

Do harbors have to be on different cities for their effect to work? The Arabs once built a city right on an isthmus connecting my capital to 2 cities on a landmass. I built a harbor on both of them, I had a path cleared, and there was no trade route. Does your capital have to be a coastal city for it to work?

*If* harbors mean insta trade routes in ALL 'friendly' water tiles accesible to a city, then I guess there could be a situation in which you have a road connected from a landlocked capital to an AI-coastal-harbor-city with whom you share an open border, and a city of yours with a harbor. A trade route might just form (between your landlocked capital and your harbor-city).

It works with a road; playing on a TSL earth map (no other mods) as Germany, England took Paris and I took a city on the coast of Normandy. There was a road connecting Normandy-Paris-Berlin, and once I OB with Lizzy, Normandy and Berlin were connected. :) So it could work with a harbor too.

If this is proven to be true, then the devs might have intented to allow foreign trade routes.. but dropped them out during the development :(

*If* harbors mean insta trade routes in ALL 'friendly' water tiles accesible to a city, then I guess there could be a situation in which you have a road connected from a landlocked capital to an AI-coastal-harbor-city with whom you share an open border, and a city of yours with a harbor. A trade route might just form (between your landlocked capital and your harbor-city).

It works with a road; playing on a TSL earth map (no other mods) as Germany, England took Paris and I took a city on the coast of Normandy. There was a road connecting Normandy-Paris-Berlin, and once I OB with Lizzy, Normandy and Berlin were connected. :) So it could work with a harbor too.

If this is proven to be true, then the devs might have intented to allow foreign trade routes.. but dropped them out during the development :(

They were always fun in civ IV. Maybe they should add them back in, with a positive diplo modifier. That could loosen up some really violent leaders like Monty and Napoleon.

They were always fun in civ IV. Maybe they should add them back in, with a positive diplo modifier. That could loosen up some really violent leaders like Monty and Napoleon.

Don't you think they would be a little OP? Getting at least 2.25 gold/AI city is a little too much. Unless it would be only be a capital-to-capital trade route. Hmm

Don't you think they would be a little OP? Getting at least 2.25 gold/AI city is a little too much. Unless it would be only be a capital-to-capital trade route. Hmm

OP or not, It would allow for some great diplomatic interactions. Maybe trade routes within the Empire could give less gold, and foreign trade routes more gold.

OP or not, It would allow for some great diplomatic interactions. Maybe trade routes within the Empire could give less gold, and foreign trade routes more gold.

I agree, I never consider connecting another civ or city state to my empire by a road and this would add an interesting codependent element to the diplomatic portion of the game.

Top Bottom