[C3C] Unconnected City With Harbor

handofthrawn1844

Chieftain
Does anyone know why my city is not connected to my empire? It lacks luxuries. The city is Valetta, and it has a harbor. My cities in Egypt are having the same problem. I also have both Astronomy and Magnetism. I am not at war, so the city is not blockaded. The route is actually entirely coastal, but it does pass through another civ's territory. Can a valid route not pass through anyone's territory, even if you are at peace? This is a custom scenario, but I have not messed with harbors at all.
1694803009257.png

The route would be from Marseilles to Valletta. Ajaccio is receiving the resources fine, so harbors are not broken.
1694802962229.png

My Egyptian cities are having the same trouble:
1694803086147.png

I've also specifically confirmed that trading over ocean tiles is working with a quick scenario edit. Ajaccio is receiving resources still.
1694803275899.png

I've also tested that when one of my problem cities (like Alexandria) is directly linked to a resource by road, it does receive that resource.
I also receive all of the resources when I circuitously connect Alexandria by road. In this case, all I had to do was add a road through the Caucasus from Russia to the Ottomans.

I have some more details. I hope someone has seen this because I'm lost. If I change to having Palermo, then it is sill not fixed. However, Palermo (which is sitting on Ivory) can trade with Valletta. This means that the issue is not going through another civ's territory (since I still go through Naples' territory between Palermo and Valletta).
1694804618420.png

However, Alexandria is not receiving the ivory from Palermo / Valetta. Even stranger, Valletta still can not receive the incense from Alexandria! Connecting Valletta to Palermo works, but Valletta can not connect to Alexandria. This is especially odd because the route is very simple (see below).
1694804594416.png

I also tried mutual protection / right of passage and they didn't help.

Have you tried an ROP with the civ whose water you need to pass through?
I have, and it had no effect. I also don't think that should be required, but thanks for suggesting that. I found that the issue auto corrects itself at the end of the turn (so it works on turn 2). There's still something strange going on, but I guess if it only affects turn one it's no big deal. It still is puzzling though because I've never seen this issue in other scenarios

Very strange indeed! I agree I would have been surprised if ROP made a difference but thought maybe worth trying. Clutching at straws, does a harbour require a particular resource or tech in your scenario?

Very strange indeed! I agree I would have been surprised if ROP made a difference but thought maybe worth trying. Clutching at straws, does a harbour require a particular resource or tech in your scenario?
Good idea, but no! I haven't edited harbors, Astronomy, or Magnetism at all. Also my harbors are working in Corsica (Ajaccio), connecting it to Marseilles. They also are working over ocean in that case. I really don't get it to be honest. The scenario is here if you want to check it out, but harbors really shouldn't be affected

In the possibly unlikely event that an explanation can be found it might require to have the scenario and posssibly all other files required by the scenario at hand. I suspect that this is just an expanded map of the Napoleon-Scenario from Conquests, so the mere biq might suffice for bughunting. In an unmodded version the scenario had locked alliances.

Also this thread may be better off in the subforum creation & customization.

In the possibly unlikely event that an explanation can be found it might require to have the scenario and posssibly all other files required by the scenario at hand. I suspect that this is just an expanded map of the Napoleon-Scenario from Conquests, so the mere biq might suffice for bughunting. In an unmodded version the scenario had locked alliances.

Also this thread may be better off in the subforum creation & customization.

Very true. The link is in the other post but here's the entire scenario download link: Source on GitHub. I do still have locked alliances but they do not start out at war with each other.
That forum makes sense. Can I move which forum a thread is in? Sorry, I'm new to this

It still is puzzling though because I've never seen this issue in other scenarios
I have seen the same behavior in the standard scenarion "WW II in the Pacific", which comes with C3C. I think it is caused by the fact, that in that scenario, only Japan can move on the first turn, the other nations only on the second turn (in order to give Japan the chance for an undefended strike against Pearl Harbor). Are you using a similar feature in your scenario?

And I'll move this into Creation & Customization... Already the third thread today, that moves there... :)

I have seen the same behavior in the standard scenarion "WW II in the Pacific", which comes with C3C. I think it is caused by the fact, that in that scenario, only Japan can move on the first turn, the other nations only on the second turn (in order to give Japan the chance for an undefended strike against Pearl Harbor). Are you using a similar feature in your scenario?

And I'll move this into Creation & Customization... Already the third thread today, that moves there... :)
Hmm, I'm not using that feature. That gives us another clue though. I'll look for other similarities between the two

Perhaps a bit of a dumb question, but is the entire map visible on the first turn?
The real question is, is the map visible before the first turn? What's happening here is that the game is building the trade network before it marks all the tiles as explored according to the "reveal entire map" setting. Trade networks can't pass through unexplored tiles. Of course the network is built after cities and units have been placed so it can still pass over tiles that are directly visible, but it can't connect from Ajaccio to Valletta because there's no explored path between them at the time when it's built. Just to prove the point, Valletta will be connected to the trade network on the first turn if you place a few ships to extend a continuous line of vision there from the rest of the empire.

The real question is, is the map visible before the first turn? What's happening here is that the game is building the trade network before it marks all the tiles as explored according to the "reveal entire map" setting. Trade networks can't pass through unexplored tiles. Of course the network is built after cities and units have been placed so it can still pass over tiles that are directly visible, but it can't connect from Ajaccio to Valletta because there's no explored path between them at the time when it's built. Just to prove the point, Valletta will be connected to the trade network on the first turn if you place a few ships to extend a continuous line of vision there from the rest of the empire.
Awesome, that must be it. I'll double check but I think that is it.

Top Bottom