Anti-Steam Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beware of morale-abusers.
They come with a smile on their face. pretending friendly intention: BUT THEY ONLY SMILE BECAUSE THEY CANT WAIT TO BURN DOWN UR HOUSE! (free portation of Max Frisch "Biedermann und die Brandstifter")

Goddam capitalist slave.

So you are a communist?

Cannot tell if parody ^^

No, actually i plan to wage war against all STEAM-Users ;-)

Prob is - the social destructive influence of STEAM as instrument of surveillance.
Another part of the machinery to enslave freedom for econmy.

But of course:
STEAM is Anti-Terrorism, prevents our homes and neighbors from being abused by the evil, so we feel amused by opening our privacy to marketing-analysts.

Again:

Fu ck STEAM.

Half-Life series?

What were your annoyances?

Occasional crashing

Spam from messages

Having to run Steam to play the game.

Steam lag (TF2 has huge issues with this)

Again, False Choice. My point 2 was "2- option to get the DD via steam, authenticate installation online with steam, then not require steam to run in the background to play a single-player game offline". Using steam to authenticate a DD is fine with me as I clearly said.

I feel we're going around in circles here. One time authentication is no use if then the person can zip it up and distribute it to whoever. The whole point of the 'keep it running in the background' is kinda instrumental to the point of DRM.

And it's that kind of DRM you're going to get regardless as while they are eminently crackable they are a lot harder to crack, and thus by the time they have been cracked a lot of legit copies have been sold. Job done. That's why DRM exists otherwise they could just require the DVD be in the drive and have done with it.

What you're saying is 'I don't want steam, I want an even less punishing DRM than that' but that's not going to happen in this present climate. Get used to it. Steam is WAY better than any other VIABLE choice they have. Of course there are other methods that would be better for YOU. But guess what? You haven't pumped millions of dollars of development costs into Civ 5. I'm pretty sure it's up to them, not you. ;D So you're not going to play it because of that. Fair enough. I just think it's silly. You're missing out on what I imagine is a pretty important game for most people here, and doing it out of principle is pointless and misdirected IMO.

When it comes to principles like this, which on the face of it seem rather noble, you don't rebel against those being as reasonable as possible, you rebel against the worst of the worst. The ones doing the real damage. Not just throwing a wobbler whenever you're slightly inconvenienced by a product and throwing the word 'petition' and 'boycott' around like they're going out of fashion, as this just gets in the way of fighting against genuine wrongdoings in the industry and makes internet boycotters look like spoilt brats. So all in all it does more harm than good, really. Good being no good at all as a petition signed by a few hundred people, even to a community aware company like Firaxis, matters not a jot on a gargantuan issue like DRM (will be Take Two's call anyway) that has probably had 6 months of development time already spent on it.

At least go after Ubisoft, geez. ;)

Newsflash: Steam has just been release for Mac and to celebrate the event, Valve is offering Portal for free for both PC and Mac!

Warning: If you are wearing a tinfoil hat while following this thread, don't fall for it, it's a trap!!!

Sign me up.
If CIV5 requires steam I will NOT be buying it.

Newsflash: Steam has just been release for Mac and to celebrate the event, Valve is offering Portal for free for both PC and Mac!

Warning: If you are wearing a tinfoil hat while following this thread, don't fall for it, it's a trap!!!

Anyone who has not experienced Steam should take advantage of this free offer. Portal is an absolute masterpiece no matter what your genre preferences are and it will give you a good idea what it will be like to play Civilization 5 using the system.

U r just so imba in ur porcelain-tower, i wonder what happens if u get in touch with reality?
maybe something like this?
Spoiler :

Of Course Marketing-Analysis is a great gift to mankind.

Now they found more efficient ways to provide bull-sh-it.
But thats what we want, because they proved so.

Noobs.
i am a marxist capitalist slave! is there any hope of salvation? :cry:
should i immediately create a steam account to cleanse my soul?

bla bla

At least go after Ubisoft, geez. ;)
so your argument boils down to you will eat what you are fed and must like it because there is no better alternative. and as have been mentioned before, the point of online DRM is not to stop piracy but to prevent resale of games.

who said boycott? we are all going to buy play civ5 anyway! :lol:

If you think the Civ fanbase is as weak-willed as the MW2 fanbase, I think people will be surprised.

$20 max for a game with Steam DRM.

$20 max for a game with Steam DRM.

Why? Many of us. 2 million online on steam right now, see Steam as a good thing. A game being on steam is like 'oh good, it's on Steam' A game having Steam matchmaking is like 'oh even better, it uses Steam properly'.

Just because you don't like it, a lot of people see Steam as a great thing to happen to PC gaming and actively buy games off Steam to help support it.

Saying $20 max for a Steam game is ridiculous. In fact, some of my dearest indie developer friends are lucky enough to get their games onto Steam, which is helping greatly in promoting their games that would otherwise perhaps never get the exposure they deserve. What right do you have to arbitrarily suggest a cap on what they can charge for their games?

Isn't helping promote small independent developers a good thing? Apparently not. Valve are such monsters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom