1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any game is winnable they said...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by sadv, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

But everybody said that only a few Archers/CBs can hold off a large army. Guess not. ;)

2. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

You should have at least built city walls and take Oligarchy in Tradition. With a garrisoned unit your city should be strong enough to withstand a fairly decent sized siege. I think people underrate city walls, its saved me a number of times.If your position is precarious you are better to invest in walls then an extra unit that will get easily killed by a legion.

3. Finnrat

Finnrat Chieftain

ok, I give up on this map. I got peace with Augustus just peace for peace. But in t120 he attacked me again. This time with 11 Legos (10 of which are already level 2 with +33% Defense against Ranged), 5 Ballistae, 2 horsemen. No way I can win this.

oh yes, and he has Statue of Zeus, so even with city walls, he takes them very fast.

4. kb27787

kb27787 Emperor

Can you sneak in a horse (if you managed to get one) to his city skirts and pillage his iron mines?
    (not that strategic penalty is anything in deity, but at least it helps....)

5. nothanks

nothanks Chieftain

Do you have the initial autosave? I really hate not settling on a hill (and this exact scenario shows why!)

6. sadv

sadv Chieftain

I tried it again, this time going liberty and focused primary on my military. I lasted a little longer. And yes I made walls. I just can't produce enough bows to keep up with his production of legions. I'll try it again later today and try to nab the military CS to see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately I don't. I usually try to settle on hills, but I really wanted to be on the river for the Garden bonus.

Attached Files:

7. nothanks

nothanks Chieftain

So, I tried two times. The first time, I signed a DoF with Rome at around turn 40, but he attacked me anyways about 15 turns later. That surprised me, haven't seen the BNW AI break any friendships until now, especially in the early game. Second time, I prepared, but I died. This really proved to me just how important putting your capital on a hill is. At a certain level of city defense (24? somewhere around there, maybe a little higher for Legions), the computer won't even attack your city with warriors/swordsman because it hurts them too much. Also, with a city defense that high, you can take out cats and ballistas in one turn, or close to it. Completely night and day.

8. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

So there is an autosave for this? I would be interested to try it.

9. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Oops just saw the file now :blush:

10. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

DoF with Rome turn 51 :

Spoiler :

11. sadv

sadv Chieftain

But will it last? nothanks got a DoF at turn 40 but was attacked anyways.

So I tried it again. This time, I was able to get around Rome's borders and meet Hiawatha. I also managed to ally both of my nearby CS, build 6 archers, and almost start my third city. I even got Rome to trade me 5 of his Iron. But despite all of that, he still DoWed me, he was even at war with Hiawatha.

Attached Files:

12. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Well it helped a LOT to fund a massive upgrade of 7 CBs and built 2-3 more warriors for meat shield. Somehow, they throwed a lot of units and i lost around 60% of them. I think he attacked me around the turn 65. I upgraded on same turn, got construction before philo.

He attacked me right after he made peace with Hiawatha. So i couldnt bribe anymore and had to face him. When i could, i bribed Hiawatha to DoW Rome. I put a citadel next to capital when i could. He suffered a lot and went back for a moment.

The flow of units grantly reduced, i sqeezed the NC and 2 more settlers thanks to Hiawatha's gold. Thankfully, the cs quests are fast and easy and i will eventually be allied with Valetta after connecting the marble(5 more turns).

Turn 100 now, i built up army to a decent one again. Rome made peace with Hiawatha again, but this time i'M going for machinery and put myself all-in against him. If i can't march in one of his cities i will have hard times with the detour to Education and other stuff. He built some nice wonders like Zeus and the CI so i need to be clever for next turns or i will slowly die to someone later.

Tradition completed in 5 turns. It looks very calm on the picture...

Spoiler :

13. glory7

glory7 King

is that a mod showing how many turns left for DoF? I really wanted that info during the game.

14. glory7

glory7 King

btw, if you see an aggresive neighbor and not-so-good-capital, just go liberty 3 cities and beeline CB. For BNW, it's really easy to catch up tech later if needed.

15. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Well its taken me a few goes to try and get the gist of this. I had plenty of archers with Accuracy promotion behind the river and I also chopped the forests down that makes it easier to rain death on those romans. I also parked some scouts/warriors outside of my city it does slow them down and buys some extra time for my archers.

I'm on turn 73, economy isn't good but nearly got 2nd city up. Its funny cause i sent Rome my truffles, then after a few turns they offered friendship and i gave them an embassy. So I had 3 green diplomatic points, they even set up a trade route before the backstab but eitherway I think it bought some more time for me.

I should add that the Romans didnt coordinate their attack real well, only a couple melee units were able to threaten the capital, the rest were Ballistas. So I was able to stay alive with my city on 0 while surrounded by ballistas!

Attached Files:

16. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

I decided to give it a try for some masochistic reason...

The problem is the city itself sucks. I fended off Rome with no problem (yes, all it took was 3 CB's and a spear), took Antium away from him (4 CB's, a scout, a spear, and a sacrifical warior).

Got a DoF from him, and then bribed Hyawatha to DoW him right before the backstab.

So now I have a cap with not enough infrastructure and pop, and a decent little pupet sitting right next to Rome (he covets). Lizzy came all the way over to make me a Protestant and then went away (pagodas). in other words I can survive and continue to survive and try for a gimpy end run at a diplo victory, unless I take autocracy and steal my way up the tech tree and warmonger which will be dificult because the cap sucks lol

This map needs some one better at early war than me. I gave him peace because Rome looked impossible to take. After scouting behind it though, it is easy pickings from the back, and Cumae is also ripe.

17. Walter E Kurtz

Walter E Kurtz Warlord

So wait for crossbows, or?

18. Hyperion529

Hyperion529 Prince

that's not a mod, it's a new feature that came with the hotfix yesterday. was about time they included something like this imho

19. _megafone_

_megafone_ Warlord

Game would be a hell of a lot easier if that cap was on the coast 2 tiles north imo... naval food caravans are great to make up for bad starts.

Way it's set up, I got stomped twice by the Romans and quit. :(

20. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

The cap was up to 26 defense by the time I had x-bows out. Doable, but I would assume losing a few units. Someone who is used to doing fast early dom vicotries could push in there and get it done. I tend to focus too much on growth and infrastructure early and to me every unit I make is a building I did not.