1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any game is winnable they said...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by sadv, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sadv

sadv Chieftain

Rome conquers me on turn 55. I did take a bit too long to start getting out my first Settler, but I was having barb troubles, so I built infrastructure instead. I don't know if there was anything I could do in this game to defend myself from that many swords.

Attached Files:

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Building archers would protect you from barbarians and Romans...

3. sadv

sadv Chieftain

Ya, I would have made a few more of those if I expected him to attack me that early. I know Rome has a tendency to conquer, but he didn't actually covet my lands until a few turns before the DoW.

4. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Pretty awful start, i'll give you that.

Manageable, still..

Spoiler :

5. slowcar

slowcar King

If the AI is that close to you expect the DoW, if you cannot bribe them to declare on somebody else they will come for you as soon as possible. Having a scout around to see their troops getting the go signal might give you a few more turns to prepare.

And not every game is winnable. Still, knowing that your neighbours will come knocking you have a good exercise at hand.

6. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

Lot deity challanges been posted and all got beaten - above is just wrong.

By using op human brain and creativite u can allways find ways to win.
    The creativite part is just missing by lot people, who arent able to think outside their little box.

7. Walter E Kurtz

Walter E Kurtz Warlord

You won't be very creative with combustion engines until you're an engineer. You need to put a lot of time into something before the creative process kicks in. Not everyone has the time to play 10 deity games a week.

8. BBMorti

BBMorti Warlord

The point is that when people conclude something is impossible because *they* can't do it, it becomes a somewhat arrogant statement.

All major breakthroughs on this planet were made, not, by those who gave up easily, and concluded it was impossible, but by those who put a bit more energy or thought into making things happen.
    This includes the inventor of the combustion engine.

9. BroOfTheSun

BroOfTheSun Warlord

I hope they nerf OP human brain in next patch.

Creativite...i need more of that. is that made in juice form?

10. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I'm tending to go with a build order of scout-scout-monument-archer-worker-archer-archer-granary-caravan

11. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

I really hate Brazil's start bias ...

Although one time I started on the edge of a jungle (three tiles away) as Brazil and I absolutely murdered that game culturally.

12. glory7

glory7 King

nice one!

13. Maxym

Maxym King

that might have been correct in GK, in BNW as it is now, every game is, IMHO.

I like the understated comment from DaveMcW :)

:goodjob: Moriarte, that's how you do it (what level was it?) those roman armies looked a bit light for deity...

14. Ergo Sum

Ergo Sum Prince

Did you open liberty? Seems like the logical option would be to cap Rome and rex the rest of the continent. What level is this?

15. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Tough start, but your cue to see it coming is that Rome, an early game warring civ, is close to you, and more importantly, has forward settled on you. This is a clear sign they'll DOW you if they smell weakness. When they drop their second city, that's when you need to abandon your early game plans, spam archers, and tech up to construction, maybe even taking some of honour if you have to. Getting an early army will not only increase your ability to withstand attacks, but also decrease the chance of getting the DOW in the first place, so you'll be able to use your army asset for taking out barb camps, stealing workers, or even taking that weaker second city for yourself.

edit: If it did come to war either on O or D, their UU has an iron requirement, so I'd by looking to see if I could pillage their iron resource (if it's on the flat you don't need to have BW to see it) and make it effectively warriors and archers again. The other UU is no good in the open field or defence :).

16. sadv

sadv Chieftain

Deity

Thing is, they didn't forward settle on me, they actually settled towards Hiawatha. I also scouted south first and used my warrior to kill a camp before I went north and found Rome.

17. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Really? second screen shows location of Rome, first shows a second city dropped to the south east, i.e. towards you. Or was that their 3rd city perhaps? either way...

18. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

The purpose of scouts is to scout, not help your starting warrior clear barb camps. You should build more than one scout especially deity, where the AI starts with all the first row of ancient techs and the tech being cheaper for each person you know who knows it. But if you only build one scout, at least send him in the opposite direction of your starting warrior. You would have seen Rome by turn 10.

Then you park a unit next to his land and watch for him mustering an army, keep the screen over Rome during his turn and listen for the unit ready sound, turn off instant moves if you have it enabled so you can see how he moves his units, watch for his workers building a mine on flat terrain, knowledge is power, etc. This goes for any close neighbor, not just the ones with early UUs.

If he is building legions, and you are his only neighbor, guess what? You need to tech construction and have some archers ready to upgrade.

19. Finnrat

Finnrat Chieftain

I tried this twice and it was brutal in both cases. The first attempt, Augustus attacked me in t48 with 5 Legos, 2 Ballista, 1 spearman. I had 1 warrior and 6 archers. But I could hardly do any damage as they had the +15% near friendly unit bonus. My archers did 5-7 damage against Legos. And they in turn would just sometimes kill me in a single blow.

The second try, Augustus went for Tradition so no bonus. Instead of getting attacked by a coordinated force, I attacked at around t38. From them on all I built until t85 was archers and spearmen. Nothing else. And they would die just as fast as I built them. This sounds like a tie, but I was running out of money as the troops cost me all my income.
    since I could not get a peace deal without sacrificing my 2nd city, I decided to march for his city and hoped he would give in. In T90 I took Cumae, and now he wants my 2nd city + Cumae for a peace.
    I'm falling behind very much as all I do is build troops and fight.

edit: oh yes, and he of course has the +30% city damage pantheon, so I have only few troops left now

20. kb27787

kb27787 Emperor

Question (why on earth are you researching drama and poetry, of all things, under these circumstances) :D You play just like me :D

Yeah, if your city is wide open like that rushing theology and education is very risky. (only do it if your city has a choke or is surrounded by mountains, or is on the coast with rough terrain around)