• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Any *NIX gurus, or even a newbie, out there?

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
4,981
Location
NJ, USA
I am looking, again, to getting on the OSS/FS (Open Source Software / Free Software) bandwagon. So I was wondering if there were any converts in CFC land that would help me, and anyone else reading this thread, into it.
 
Originally posted by PaleHorse76
I am looking, again, to getting on the OSS/FS (Open Source Software / Free Software) bandwagon. So I was wondering if there were any converts in CFC land that would help me, and anyone else reading this thread, into it.

I use lots of open source (phpBB2 running on unix, apache) though I can't say I know a lot about it.
 
Cool....trying to get into Linux again, or even a BSD. Do you have a local Linux box that you use or are phpBB2 and Apache being run on a remote server?
 
Originally posted by PaleHorse76
Cool....trying to get into Linux again, or even a BSD. Do you have a local Linux box that you use or are phpBB2 and Apache being run on a remote server?

no, it's running on a remote server. Go Linux :)

It's also running a mySQL database. If you're gonna do something with a db then I recommend using phpMyAdmin (more free stuff), makes it much easier than just typing in commands.

...and in case you don't already know it http://sourceforge.net/ ;)
 
yea, sourceforge is a nice place...got bnetd from there before Bliz shut it down. :D
Damn, I need someone that actually installs and uses Linux...I need to pick your brain! ;)
 
Originally posted by PaleHorse76
yea, sourceforge is a nice place...got bnetd from there before Bliz shut it down. :D
Damn, I need someone that actually installs and uses Linux...I need to pick your brain! ;)

I have a place to recommend if you want to know anything about oss: www.phpbb.com/phpBB

call be a bit biased ;) but these people know a lot lot lot about this kind of Linux/Unix/Apache scene.
 
Originally posted by Black Fluffy Lion


I have a place to recommend if you want to know anything about oss: www.phpbb.com/phpBB

call be a bit biased ;) but these people know a lot lot lot about this kind of Linux/Unix/Apache scene.
Thanks....would be nice if there was a person from CFC that I could talk to. I feel strange asking complete strangers for help.....plus the whole learning on my own thing put me off from Linux the first time.
 
PaleHorse

If your new to linux in general your best bet is to try either Mandrake or Red Hat Linux. Mandrake is probably best for beginners and is the easiest to install (does yuk partitioning all by itself) and Red Hat is also quite good.

If the learning part is a problem try a bookstore or library, there are tons of books out there or alternatively try the websites of university's computer science faculty. They often have tutorials and other information available for beginners.
 
I got Mandrake-Linux to work on my computer at one time but uninstalled it. When I later tried to install a newer version of it I couldn't get the video to work and came up to the none-GUI logon. Needless to say I was lost! :D

If you could help me with general using, easy things like RPMs and unTARing through command line would be nice things to learn. Also setting it up to use the internet would be great. The first step is to get it to install! :goodjob:

Padma, if you have an instant messenger program then please add me so we can chat:
ICQ: 744424
MSN: junk467@hotmail.com
AIM: PaleHorse76
Y!: PaleHorse76
 
;) Oh, I know what you mean. You just have to train her correctly. I have trained my wife pretty good...the house looks like crap now, that's how you can tell! :lol:
 
Top Bottom