Any upcoming patches? and do you have any hope for this game?

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
Just want to know.

I think this game is pretty addicting now, but with many SEVERE flaws (I won't reiterate them, you already know what they are.) The most recent patch really improved the combat AI and marginally improved the diplomatic AI (though on the flip side, they rarely make fair trades). I have my fingers crossed that patches will fix the rest of the issues. :)

There's certainly more patches coming. Not right this minute since one just came out days ago, but there will be more...whether or not the fix the issues the game still has remains to be seen. This first one was a good patch so there's definitely hope.

At the very least I'm expecting the MP patch which was promised. I'm itching to play this game on a huge map with the max # of real human players. ;) Pitboss was awesome in Civ4 so I hope it is coming for this one as well.

Bernout

It's a given that the game will be patched well. What we got is a beta product which I (to an extent) enjoy. The AI seems alot better the past 2-3 games I've played since the patch. While I have my issues with certain aspects of the game, the turn timer needs to be seriously sped up. Watching some civ II videos and I feel like they've taken a step back in game speed.

I'd like to see more information. I'm a complete stat whore. I want to know everything about anything in my civ. Additionally, this should be easily accessible.

I've got faith.

The game is a couple things away from being good:

1. No more bugs/crashes/interface problems.
2. Game runs smoothly on advertised specs
3. Strategic balance (balance the power of warfare vs alternative options and choices will be more engaging)
4. Improve the AI's ability to not roll over dead from small breezes (even vs other AI).

After this clumsy nerf bat to trade, my optimism that things will improve anytime soon is gone. I can't believe anyone even playtested the trade change once. It becomes apparent very quickly, that not only will the AI not trade resources reasonably with you, but they treat each other in a similar manner. Every game each AI has all its resources available for trade, because no one can afford the ridiculous prices they think they are worth. In other words trade is essentially dead, and the already limited and shallow diplomacy is now gone. Forget it. :rolleyes:

The first patch was very good and was out relatively quick. Judging by Shafer's comments, I think this game will have a healthy dose of patching.

The game would have a much better chance if the same people who let get this bad werent involved in the decision making involved in fixing it.

After this clumsy nerf bat to trade, my optimism that things will improve anytime soon is gone. I can't believe anyone even playtested the trade change once. It becomes apparent very quickly, that not only will the AI not trade resources reasonably with you, but they treat each other in a similar manner. Every game each AI has all its resources available for trade, because no one can afford the ridiculous prices they think they are worth. In other words trade is essentially dead, and the already limited and shallow diplomacy is now gone. Forget it. :rolleyes:

This is an important tell. When faced with players doing something that they didn't anticipate they responded by making the game harsher. They seem obsessed with making interactions even more hostile and war-game like, under the theory that unless the AI is attacking the players they aren't "playing to win."

Improving the military AI will make this game worse, not better, by distorting the game towards war even more. Fortunately it'll be hard to make it much better, but they could add some annoying tricks that would be irritating. And this set of game designers seems to be unable to distinguish "challenging" from "obnoxious and aggravating".

Not to forget that since the last patch the city governor has an unhealthy attitude to let your cities starve.

I have hope in this game (it's already pretty good and I'm sure it will be improved in the future), but not in this forum, which seems to be hopelessly flooded with hate posts.

I have hope in this game (it's already pretty good and I'm sure it will be improved in the future), but not in this forum, which seems to be hopelessly flooded with hate posts.

Agreed, people will always hate change.

Back to the OP, i love the game pre patched, and now I love the challenge the game provided post patch. I'm excited for the new future patches

God, I know. I hate change SO MUCH. It's like... why do things have to be different than they used to be? Ever? Because changing things is bad. It's like, really bad.

I only play Pong. That's the only game I accept. It's perfect - bug free on release, too. No DLC, no crappy Civilopedia without any real information, it doesn't freeze up or break my save games, and it never, ever lags because the system requirements are so good. Plus, it's streamlined and organic, which makes it very accessible new players who want a little more depth, but not too much complexity.

All games since Pong have sucked. Why did they have to change the paddles into horsemen / zerglings / MG-42s / airblasting pyros / night elf hunters??? GOSH :mad:

1 month post-release and there's already one fairly decent patch out. Pretty sure there will be more coming to iron out more aspects and do more balancing.

Never mind next fall there will likely be an expansion to throw on new features and do some more major re-balancing.

I think the game is a very solid foundation and the first patch was excellent. The game still needs quite a bit more patching. Hopefully this forum will become more usable as the hate filled people slowly tired, find other games, or go back to civ 4. This forum really has been unusable since release.

I love constructive discussions and criticisms of the game (lord knows it has tons of flaws), the hate filled crying about how this isn't everything you thought it would be just drives me crazy.

Losing hope.

I was excited Friday to try out the patch -- and played a bit on Saturday with it... Pleased that I didn't run into the gambreakers (endless peace, resource trade bugs) pre-patch... but then quickly disappointed that the devs seem to think the answer to complaints is to make the AI MORE of a sociopath.

Still far too many stupid tactical decisions (lack of screens for ranged/siege units, embarking right into ships who then sink the embarked units).... but - I could live with that as I'm really not a warmonger.

Problem is -- the V braintrust seems to be thinking "wargame or bust!" -- diplomacy has now likewise been lopped out of gameplay for the peaceful player.

Top Bottom