Any way to play PAL VHS without buying anything?

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Okay, I got a tape today only to find out it wont play. Came from England, so I suspect it's PAL.

I put it here as I don't know where else.

Any way to play it without buying anything new?

I got a Magnavox DVD/CD player with Video Cassette Recorder, CMWD2206.

Already checked the manual.

There are none available. Out of print tape.

I looked it up, apparently there's no way to do it except spend a fortune. :( im upset. very upset.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers -- A Bunch Of Videos And Some Other Stuff

There is a torrent, but I tried it once and there's parts missing.

Thats what everyones telling me. But I want to see it. :(

Ebay for an old PAL vhs/vcr from the UK? they can't cost that much. How much are you willing to spend?

Ebay for an old PAL vhs/vcr from the UK? they can't cost that much. How much are you willing to spend?

Keep in mind that England (and other European countries) use 220-240V @50Hz. I always thought that all VCR's recorded NTSC. I have a VCR which has the text 'NTSC playback on PAL TV'.

That's true... I guess if you bought a PAL video player it wouldn't work on an American tv screen! Unless it was scart...

I looked it up, I think you need a VCR and a converter thingy. I knew exactly what it was because the tape came from England and just wouldn't play. (Although I did see it hiccup when I hit the play button.) Turns out I'm right.

I'm also gonna see if the local video store converts. 'Cause it's only a one-time thing, not a huge pile of videos. Or even if they can get it onto a PAL DVD which will probably be better quality -- 'cause my computer can support PAL.

Actually, I asked for something to convert VHS to DVD for Christmas. So maybe I'll get something...hmmmm. If you have an NTSC player, and use the cord to hook it up to a computer, would a PAL VHS copy right? (I don't know if I actually got anything.)

Also looked it up, for some reason PAL players can play NTSC movies, not the other way around. Right now I wish I lived in England. LOL.

Yeah, but you'd think they'd incorporate PAL into the newer players. :confused:

Okay, we called the local video store, they can convert it to DVD on Saturday. Great thing is that I was gonna convert it to a DVD anyways (I promised to make a digital video for a friend when I got it). :)

The player I have is actually a VCR/DVD combo. I still play a lot of VHS.

That explains the test on my VCR, it's hardly surprising because PAL technology came around later then NTSC.

However, PAL was invented a very long time ago (as an improvement to NTSC based on previous experience. People in the US apparently lose their colour when in bad reception areas with analogue transmissions)

NTSC playback on a PAL video is a more recent innovation simply brought about as an easy step for manufacturers catering to international markets.

Top Bottom