Anybody tried these changes?

modmyciv

Warlord
Hello, two changes I am about to experiment with:

I don't like the instant travel aspect of railways as it stops you having to make important strategic decisions about where to move your forces. So out they go. But you lose that extra production boost as you industrialise. Has anybody tried this? I guess I can compensate here and there, adding a bonus resource or two and upping the extras on others. Plus adding more factory style buidings. How does it play?

The other thought was about trucks for infantry. If you make tham an Army with a transport capacity of 1 foot unit and minimal stats. You could still put them on ships and so forth and the transported unit would do the fighting. Not sure how it would look on screen though. Anybody done this one too?

Cheers

unfortunately the AI cannot handle land based transports.... :( also I believe transporter units cannot load onto other transports...

No, transports can't load into other transports, and the Artificial Idiot does not recognise lorries, trains and other such land transports. You can simulate trains but it's pretty difficult, you have to sacrifice ships for that. :(

As I understood it the AI will load a single unit - just not fill armies, is this not right? An army can still load onto a ship and my shiny new transport planes

Another problem is you can't unload armies - so once wedded to the trucks that's it. as far as I can tell. Back to the drawing board for land transport then, probably. Still tempting though

Will try getting rid of ralways and see how it plays out.

Apparently, the AI does fill armies to the brim, but the circumstances have to be setup perfectly to accomplish it. Ares showed that AI will do it correctly under the perfect settings in game. Units that are faster must be made available at the correct times after armies are available and eventually AI will use them to their full capacity.

If this cannot be done, then 1 unit per army is best bet.

Or use special units that can be upgraded from leaders, like elite cavalry, royal guardsmen or such.

I already have my armies set at one capacity +4 HP - found I was getting too Army-centric, using them for all my attacks, and the AI only appeared to field one unit armies, apart from once - which was a shock when I came across an army of War Elephants.

Having special upgradde units is a neat idea - not thought of that. I could create a string of units for then to upgrade to. How do you stop them being available for building generally though? I wanted to do this with another unit and couldn't see an obvious way.

I don't like the instant travel aspect of railways as it stops you having to make important strategic decisions about where to move your forces.

Oops, never mind. I thought I was in the Civ 4 creation section.

Having special upgradde units is a neat idea - not thought of that. I could create a string of units for then to upgrade to. How do you stop them being available for building generally though? I wanted to do this with another unit and couldn't see an obvious way.

You have to make the unit a king unit (by marking the king ability). Then the unit cannot be built, but will still be available for autoproduction and to upgrade to. Beware there are some things to keep in mind when using this, such as; a king unit should not be made to upgrade to a king unit (or the leader of the civ's name shows up as the unit name), and king units are always on the bottom of a stack.

Beware there are some things to keep in mind when using this, such as; a king unit should not be made to upgrade to a king unit (or the leader of the civ's name shows up as the unit name), and king units are always on the bottom of a stack.
...IF the King Unit is a Pre-placed Unit, that Unit Keeps the same Name rather than the CIV King Unit.

Top Bottom