Anyone going to see the Eclipse?

I have never seen totality personally but everybody who has agree it is uber amazing. I have seen a perfectly anular one though back in 2005. It was maybe not as amazing as a total one, light and temperature went down significantly, shadows were doing strange things, and there was a freaking cosmic fire ring in the sky.

We had great weather, and the eclipse was amazing - we had 2 min 20 s of totality with no clouds anywhere near the sun. Traffic was horrible both coming and going, but it was definitely worth it. Fewer than 100 people showed up to watch at the Red Bud campus, which I hadn't expected at all, although there were more across the street in the city park. I guess a lot of people kept moving through the town to somewhere else.

As it got dark the insects went crazy, and then the people went crazy. The corona was way brighter than I'd expected, but the sky wasn't all that dark - we could see Venus, but not any other planets or stars. The horizons were filled with clouds, and we got a light of reflected light from them Most of the people left almost immediately after the sun started to peek out again, but we watched until almost the very end. On the way back we had thunderstorms, and the power went out, leading to extra fun when the stoplights were out.

I got 2m40s of totality with no clouds! It was absolute amazeballs. Anyone who is ho hum hasn't experienced totality. It's a night and day difference, literally. I'll gush more later, but wow. I didn't get some photos but talked to some people weilding some heavy hardware at my viewing locale.

This. Words cannot describe it.

95% wont do it either. In an eclipse it is totality or it is not, there is not middle ground. Totality is totalizing, total and totalitarian.
This.

The sun's photosphere is so bright that even the faintest sliver outshines the Corona, But when it is completely obstructed it completely transforms and you see the whisps of superheated plasma.

Reminds you of the fact it's a giant dynamic roiling fusion reactor with insane electromagnetc crazy stuff not just a giant heat lamp.

This. Words cannot describe it.
Where were you?

Last edited by a moderator:
That moment when the sun came back though, that split second before you had to look away.... POW so cool.

I have never seen totality personally but everybody who has agree it is uber amazing. I have seen a perfectly anular one though back in 2005. It was maybe not as amazing as a total one, light and temperature went down significantly, shadows were doing strange things, and there was a freaking cosmic fire ring in the sky.
Reading this and looking up the difference it up sounds pretty similar.

That moment when the sun came back though, that split second before you had to look away.... POW so cool.
Oh god yes.
Reading this and looking up the difference it up sounds pretty similar.
annular eclipses are cool but in terms of what you can see isn't really better than a partial.

Oh it's like the partial eclipse but, in the annular moment, as if it was center-out instead of from the side. Sounds rad but yeah, total y'all gotta do it. Texas 2024 is 4+ minute totality!!

Oh god yes.
annular eclipses are cool but in terms of what you can see isn't really better than a partial.
In the one i saw sun was covered in a 92% only, so you could not look directly without protection. I used some photography film, and saw the perfectly circular ring. Light was weak thought, like if it was evening while it was really noon, it was not like a normal evening though, everything looked "blurry" and grey.

The next one in just 7 years.

J

The next total eclipse is on 2 July 2019.

I assume that you not one of the lucky few who live in southern Illinois where the tracks cross of the 2017 and 2024 eclipse.

I saw the 1999 total eclipse from the top of a hill near my home in south Devon. It was cloudy so I only saw about half of totality.

The next one I can get to cheaply is in southern Spain in 2027.

I assume that you not one of the lucky few who live in southern Illinois where the tracks cross of the 2017 and 2024 eclipse.

That would be me. Actually I'll have to go about 20 miles for the 2024 eclipse, but close enough.

I saw an annular eclipse about 25 years ago, and it was really exciting, but nothing like the total eclipse.

I saw the 1999 total eclipse from the top of a hill near my home in south Devon. It was cloudy so I only saw about half of totality.

:woohoo: i live just there! Apparently totality will pass over the Gibraltar Strait. The center line of the totality shadow is several kilometers off shore. I will rent a sailing ship to celebrate a totality party onboard.
:beer:[party]:dance:

We will have plenty, but ok.

Last edited:

Central Texas. I'll be able to step out my front door.

J

Top Bottom