Anyone going to see the Eclipse?

Just moments to go until the Philippines, planet Earth, the moon, and the sun come into perfect alignment.

Will gravity for me at that point completely disappear, and I'll float off into space? No one knows. :scan:

Hot here, partly cloudy. So seeing totality is a risky. We'll see about photography. I don't have good equipment for that and don't want to spend time I could be looking with fiddly techy stuff.

At least eclipse will cool things down a bit.

Will have full mission report afterwards, soon will be going radio silent.

It is happening! :woohoo:

But i can see it here. I find it discriminatory. :cry:

It's a bit unique in that the length of the diameter of the moon as visible from the surface of the Earth is basically exactly as long as the diameter of the sun as visible from the surface of the Earth. Creating a neat effect that is probably somewhat rare.s

Well that's the minimum. You still get eclipses with a moon that's with a larger apparent size than the sun.

We are about 20 minutes from the 70% maximum. The light definitely looks different. Perfect viewing conditions.

edit: Just passed the max. Light level is about the same as dusk but the quality of the light is very different. The shadow is making an impact on the air temperature, which is almost 5° (10° F) below yesterday.

I'm looking forward to 2024. Viewing here will be much better.

J

Last edited:
Well that's the minimum. You still get eclipses with a moon that's with a larger apparent size than the sun.

Yeah but this covers up the whole sun and only shows you the corona. In theory. Either way it's a neat coincidence that they line up like that

From here it only looks like a chunk is bitten out of the sun.

Darn overcast. But you could still see it through the clouds (chicago)

Came home to see it which is just outside the totality. I set up a speical camera to record it. Rain cloud passed over just as it started and missed the whole thing. I'm pretty sure it's overrated anyway.

I got 2m40s of totality with no clouds! It was absolute amazeballs. Anyone who is ho hum hasn't experienced totality. It's a night and day difference, literally. I'll gush more later, but wow. I didn't get some photos but talked to some people weilding some heavy hardware at my viewing locale.

It darkened here a smidge. But that could have been due to the cloud bank that zoomed overhead, and the fact that the air outside is smoky from the forest fires west of here.

I had 2 minutes of totality. I can't explain it. If you have a chance in your life go for the 100%. It's the most amazing thing I've seen.

It was going to be a 95% eclipse here but clouds ruined it :mad:

The sky cleared a bit later so I saw a little over half of an eclipse so it wasn't a total loss.

Stupid weather

95% wont do it either. In an eclipse it is totality or it is not, there is not middle ground. Totality is totalizing, total and totalitarian.

I saw an eclipse (not total) in the 80s Utah, sky darkened and it cooled off 10-15 degrees... Today, close to totality, barely noticed it. We were overcast but the sun did peak out during the eclipse, but it didn't get that dark and didn't cool off. Maybe all that moisture in the air reduced the effect I was expecting after the last one I saw in clear and dry weather.

Top Bottom