AoD2 - 1.11 BETA test

Umm...

Where can we download the beta mod?? I would like to play around with it, except it seems to have had the download removed (if the OP is anything to go by...)

Just look back in this thread, it's there somewhere.

Noticed an oddity while playing in the Beta. Not likely caused by the mod, but.... In battle with an AI and I capture a petty criminal outside one of his towns. Since he had moved already that turn, I didn't think to click on him again. On next turn, he committed suicide by trying to enter the home city of the AI. I would have thought that any orders he might have been given would have been canceled when he was captured???

Not only that, but you can't voluntarily initiate combat with non-combat units. They can only defend. Very odd indeed.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I looked, but missed it...

For future reference, it is in the middle of the second page (Post #31)

Now lets hope that the difficulty things are fixed :p I was slaughtering in the original Col II at the same difficulty I was BEING slaughtered in this mod :p As in, 700 points : 400 points in original, 300 points : 150 points in the mod (I was the 700 / 150 points person :p)

No question the harder levels are brutally hard in this, although more realistic in the beta instead of 1.10. You get attacked really early, and without provocation. Much more combat based, not just build up a big economy and declare independence early.

Brutally hard is an understatement...

Playing at Explorer difficulty, I opened WB up to see how many soldiers France and Spain had, after my scout saw 5 muskets...

Spain had 7 military units on turn 69, and France had 5.

For me, guns cost 17 gold per 100 units, so Spain had 350 units of guns (for the cost of 5100 gold (including the 50 free guns they get for thier first soldier), and France had 250 units of guns, for a cost of 3400 gold. I checked... none of thier colonies have a Weapon Shelter, or equivelent.

Personally, if I had 3000+ gold lying around, then I would build a few GALLEONS. I would be surprised if I managed to earn 3000 gold during those entire times (Even with my cigar factories working overtime)

By the way, I have 50 guns. And both civs have 3 dragoons as well >.<

I would continue playing, but I can't teach my citizens any skills either!! I just keep on getting this screen:

I select "Never Mind", and the citizen goes back to whatever he was working on before.

Note: I have a expert Lumberjack (farming), an Eldar Statesman (earning bells), a master Weaver (making cigars), and a master gunsmith (making guns ... duh :p) in that city.

This mod has many great bonuses, and I love the 'free skills' you get for working tiles for long times, and I love the more gradual building designs ... I just don't like the difficulty not scaling, and the minor bugs :(

[Edit]Never mind... it seems as if I don't quite fully understand how the schoolhouse system works :( [/Edit]

Teaching requires money and study time.

Did you know your ships can "Meet the Chief"? From the very first turn I have my caravel/start ship sail to as many tribes as possible and get heaps of gold that way. I can easily have 3000 gold by turn 50. It's even better if you get a couple good gold amounts early and get a second caravel doing this.

:)

Hi Dale,

Thanks for 1.11 Beta.

It solved my worst problem and was that the game crashed between turn 120-140. I had this problem since 1.08 I think.

I played China, Conquistador difficulty.

The AI expanded rather quickly in the beginning, untill I cut them off.
The AI didn't go to war with me.
And neither did the natives, but when I looked at their attitude towards me in midgame, it was like -30, they were furious and had been for quite a while. But that tribe just stayed in their village and didn't attack me or offer to give up their village. So I suspect that their is a bug somewhere.
I like it very much that your starting town has all the minor buildings.

Fountain of Youth is a nice add, but the bug is irritating. Maybe you can make it so that the player who discovers it getts a slightly bigger number (2 or 3) of free colonist from Europa.

Just before I declared Independence the advisor showed that the king would have 31 warships, but after Independence he had 64 warships...that was a bit of a shock. Besides that he had like 100 soldiers & Dragoons and 50 cannons.
I had roughly the same number of soldiers & dragoons, but 140 cannons. So I sunk 8 warships per turn from my 2 fortresses.
The King had so much troops, but he didnt land them at the same time. He would land roughly 20 units per turn close to 2 cities of my. Because of that I was able to defeat each wave in the turn after they landed.
I was able to do that because the King's troops were only 2 attack/defense strong.
I lost like 5 units defeating 100, this doesn't seem wright. In previous versions of the Mod his troops were as strong or stronger then mine, so battle was always close. But now it was a walkover.

I do feel that the Kings ship are too fast, they are at your doorstep the moment u declare Independence. I feel that this might take 2 or 3 turns.

But all taken into account it was fun playing a full game again, I became so frustated with the game crashing that I almost had given up.

Thanks for all the hard work you and the others have done to make this a great game.

Seems to match what I'm seeing too... The AI, as in other colonies and natives, are quite hard, which is nice, but during the WoI, the european power is pretty wimpy on the lower levels. This seems to be more like the original, where it was harder getting to the WoI but pretty easy when you get there.

I like it this way personally, however if the Euro soldiers have 2 strength on conquistador, that seems a little weak... they're weaker than regular natives when you factor in the terrain bonuses.

In the conquistador game I won, I never actually had the chance to see the strength of the kings units, because none of them successfully touched ground. They all died throwing themselves against my defense. This is maybe 50 turns after the natives almost wiped me out.

Sounds like strength 3 as the default King's soldier for conquistador is the way to go then.

I'd agree.

How is it scaled now? Can you let us know what the strengths of the soldiers are at now over the various difficulty levels?

I've resolved a number of OOS MP issues, including the elusive shortfall purchase OOS. Finally, I think that one has been in since 1.03 or something. :lol:

How is it scaled now? Can you let us know what the strengths of the soldiers are at now over the various difficulty levels?

King's troops are scaled on a percentage basis, as in on the middle levels the units are 100% strength as defined in the XML, on harder levels the percentage is higher, and easier levels the percentage is lower. It's all defined in Civ4HandicapInfos.xml.

Great to hear you found some fixes for the MP side. Have another quirk from MP. I had saved our game from yesterday after he had ended his turn. When we started today, the first thing he was faced with was a request to say what the student should be learning in school. Since he had already answered that question before he ended his turn, I told him not to worry since I saved afterward. WRONG. If he didn't respond, the student was no longer in the school. So, if he didn't remember what he was in school for, he would have to guess. I am not 100% sure the student went in on that turn or was there previously and had just not graduated.

Will play some more tomorrow.

PudgyOne

I have played a couple of games of 1.11b and it seems to work very well. I declared war against Spain early on for more territory and had a good fight. I was taking losses but taking towns until I spent a couple of turns healing up before hitting his capital. Bad timing on my part as I watched a galleon arrive and suddenly there was 6 milita soldiers. More losses but I took the town and it wasn't the wonder city of 1.10.

Good fight and good fun. Thanks to Dale et al for all your hard work.

One thing I noticed that hasn't changed is the problem with starting as the Chinese on the west coast. About 80% of the time their starting ship is either at the north or south pole which I don't like. Another 10% of the time they start about 10 spaces from the mainland as the ocean 'travel' squares are not properly drawn 4 spaces from the mainland. This is on the dreamland map. This was also true in 1.10 but I forgot to mention it.

the first thing he was faced with was a request to say what the student should be learning in school. Since he had already answered that question before he ended his turn, I told him not to worry since I saved afterward. WRONG. If he didn't respond, the student was no longer in the school. So, if he didn't remember what he was in school for, he would have to guess.

PudgyOne

We have had this same problem, but it has been throughout the whole time that we've played AoD2. (Not sure where we started - maybe 1.06 or so). My computer has XP, my hubby's has Vista. We just assumed that this was a Vista quirk as he gets this all of the time and I am pretty sure that it has not happened on mine. That said, we have yet to get very far in our Beta2 game to test. The other quirk that he has is similar - every time we re-load or load a saved game he has to say where his colonists are supposed to be (i.e. farmer, lumberjack, fisherman, etc.). Again, we just blamed Vista :rolleyes:

Dale,

We still had an OOS error in trying to buy shortfall. :sad:

refreshing:
MP, one Vista, one XP
Using Beta2

Everything else is going well, so far. Thanks again for your marvelous work!!

:)

You'll still have it because I fixed that bug after posting BETA2. :)

You'll still have it because I fixed that bug after posting BETA2. :)

Whoopsie. :)

That's what I get for relying on my memory instead of checking. I thought that I had read that in your initial changelog.

SBT!!

:blush:

Have an unusual question. In MP, my opponent can't make Veteran soldiers in his university, but I can make them in my college. Is there something wrong with his patching (everything else works great and we are on the latest update) or could this be a bug?

PudgyOne

Does he have a VS actually in the colony? And enough gold?

Dale,

I checked our game by loading it in hot seat. He has a college and a university (China) and I just have a college. When I take his turn and make sure he has a veteran soldier in each town before sending a student (free colonist), he does not get the choice of veteran soldier. He has plenty of money.

I, on the other hand, can put a student into my college and get an option to make a veteran soldier, even though I do not have one in this town. I am playing as Portugal.

Don't know what to make of it.

PudgyOne

Top Bottom