Aphorisms You Might Have Heard

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

The F of the S is more D than the M.
P. G. Wodehouse.

Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent, and original manner possible. - Richard Feynman.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

We also say "Misery doesn't come alone".
When something really bad happens, expect even more troubles soon.

I hope your memory is strong enough and you recall we have discussed this before ^_^
In ancient greek the analogous saying is "10000 (a myriad) ills follow from one".

By the way, here is a stylish Byzantine one:
"Her make-up (more literally: 'paint') is no longer passable".

In the byzantine era it was specifically said about women who were past their youth, and at times their make-up couldn't result to attracting the men they wanted. But in current greek the phrase is quite common, and since not all are aware of where it comes from it is used to mean generally that one's abilities no longer are what they were. Thus, due to "paint" being so ambiguous in the setting, it is used for males too.

Last edited:
We would say "mutton dressed as lamb" for an older person deliberately dressing or acting younger than they are.

Ah yes, Terentius, he whose most famous quote is probably Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto, or "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me."

Sadly, we still have a long way as a species to go before that's generally true.

Ah yes, Terentius, he whose most famous quote is probably Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto, or "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me."

Sadly, we still have a long way as a species to go before that's generally true.

It's unfortunate that most people claiming to be 'looking out for Number One' don't realize how much that entails making things better for those around them.

If your head comes to a point, it does not mean you're sharp.
The problem with nudist camps is quality control.
Fear is a superpower. It makes you faster, stronger and keeps you alert.
Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
It's rarely a bad idea to get caught doing your job.
When all else fails, read the directions.

A collection from a book. Used with permission

Learning hurts, because part of your innocence has died.
Sometimes you have the best time when you are not having a good time.
Attention to detail is what separates almost from "Oh My!"
Quiet people watch while others talk.
Routine is comforting. Routine is safe. Nothing about a baby is routine.
The Maestro's cane taps the floor. Listen for it.
F____ can eat anything, but she is always hungry.
Life is in four dimensions.
Twit means birdbrained. It comes from Twitter.

Never let what you are doing make you forget what you have done.
Never interrupt a client making a decision.
People never have time. People make time.
J

Old Irish saying: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Did you know that eating cheese kills mice? They love it, but mostly it's deadly to them.
That's kinda the point. The cheese is bait. Who cares if they die from the bait or the trap?

"Starting is half of everything".
Sensible. After all, when you start something, you need to form awareness of all the constituent parts. In time the work involved decreases, even if you move at a slow pace.
That said, you do still need to get to the end.
It will soon be three years since I got hooked on that computer game I've been writing about. The original plan was to take about a year to work on it. Now I will be surprised if I'm done at some point in the next three years.

It's a good thing nobody is paying me to finish this.

According to statistics, 99% of mice who started eating cheese, died in next 0.1 seconds!
It's the deadliest food for them.

100% of Italians who died, died at some point after eating pasta. Quit it while you can! Protect your lives!!

Top Bottom