Apolytonian Chat - 29 July

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
Session Start: Tue Jul 29 01:03:03 2003
[01:03] *** Now Talking in #ISDGFAMTALKS.
[01:03] <OctavianX> I need to talk with someone, RE construction...
[01:04] <Togas> hello
[01:04] <Togas> what's the news?
[01:06] <OctavianX> From what I can tell, we've come to the agreement that we have breached our previous tech-trade deal.
[01:07] <OctavianX> Because of this, we will not hand over construction at the moment.
[01:07] <Togas> ??
[01:08] <OctavianX> We will, however, hand it over for an open declartion of war, or at least plans for an attack, on GCa.
[01:08] <Togas> I don't follow. Perhaps you can explain.
[01:09] <OctavianX> Call it a bribe, or just being mean. That's FortyJ's position.
[01:09] <BigFree> hmm
[01:09] <Togas> We went along with this plan with the understanding that it would not intefere with our tech trade.
[01:10] <Togas> You know as well as I do how individuals like NYE will feel when I tell him about this.
[01:10] <BigFree> so, we did nothing to cause our deal to go sour, Forty only wnats us to decalre war and is using Construction to achieve that?
[01:10] <OctavianX> Yes, I do.
[01:10] <OctavianX> Believe me, I'm working my best to change that position.
[01:10] <Togas> Forty is going to sour relations with us really fast this way.
[01:10] <OctavianX> I know.
[01:11] <OctavianX> I'm just saying we do indeed have construction, but we're not going to give it up right away.
[01:11] <Togas> I'm not sure there's anything else to say. I'm just really dissapointed.
[01:12] <OctavianX> Give me a day or two. This little conversation will almost surely change some minds.
[01:13] <Togas> I really hope that it does. We have an alliance and a new NAP that formalizes those terms.
[01:14] <OctavianX> Because of that construction clause, FortyJ and others are wary of the new NAP.
[01:14] <Togas> I hope that FortyJ doesn't want to throw away an alliance with us over Construction
[01:14] *** WhiteBandit (~whiteband@lsanca1-ar17-4-61-197-058.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.net) [joined] #ISDGFAMTALKS.
[01:16] <OctavianX> That's my hope as well.
[01:16] <Togas> But please, for both of our sakes, explain to FortyJ the sort of people he's dealing with. Apolyton believes, and I assured the Consuls of this, that our tech treaty would not be harmed.
[01:17] <Togas> This news will seem like a stab in the back to some of them.
[01:18] <OctavianX> Apparently, FortyJ is of the opinion that the actions taken by bootstoots and CivGeneral were ones not to be recognized. I really don't know what's going thorough his head.
[01:18] <Togas> nor do I.
[01:19] <OctavianX> On a different subject...
[01:19] <OctavianX> What would Apolyton think if we were indeed to hammer out a peace treaty with GCA?
[01:19] <Togas> not sure. We have been expecting a war.
[01:20] <Togas> We haven't really thought much about the possibility of peace.
[01:20] <OctavianX> We're just looking for a border at the Balance of Power.
[01:20] <Togas> that's a reasonable border
[01:20] <OctavianX> If GCA ever decided to accept peace and a border there, the war would be over.
[01:21] <Togas> Is GCA still looking for that valley?
[01:21] <OctavianX> They intially wanted all of those grasslands west of Balace of Power
[01:21] <OctavianX> Our hope is that their expansionistic desires were ended by Elucidium's fall.
[01:21] <Togas> any new offers from them?
[01:22] <OctavianX> We've been plotting a reponse to their offer for tech-trade negotiation.
[01:22] <OctavianX> (assuming Trip told you about those messages)
[01:22] <Togas> can't trade techs while in a state of war.
[01:23] <OctavianX> Didn't you here about this message from Trip?
[01:23] <OctavianX> Hi,
[01:23] <OctavianX> we fully acknowledge the continued state of war between our two nations and your unwillingness to end it.
[01:23] <OctavianX> Therefore this is not a p
[01:23] <OctavianX> damn, wait..
[01:23] <OctavianX> Hi,
[01:23] <OctavianX> we fully acknowledge the continued state of war between our two nations and your unwillingness to end it.
[01:23] <OctavianX> Therefore this is not a peace envoy or a proposal of any kind of armistice. But this proposal is more a question, whether your empire is interested in tech trades nonetheless. We think we might have several interesting offers to make to your people and despite the state of war we are willing to agree to fair exchanges of technology that is not vital to each others military.
[01:23] <OctavianX> So, please reply whether you are interested in any kind of tech trade in the near future.
[01:23] <OctavianX> Sincerely
[01:23] <OctavianX> Lucky
[01:23] <OctavianX> GCA President
[01:23] <Togas> very interesting
[01:23] <Togas> how would they trade, though?
[01:24] <OctavianX> In-game peace and out-of-game war, I assume.
[01:24] <OctavianX> Sorta like the current peace/war of GoW and RP
[01:24] <Togas> 1 turn peace.
[01:25] <OctavianX> Our planned response is that we won't trade techs unless we have peace treaty signed and ratified.
[01:25] <Togas> you know, with an alliance between us, and tech sharing, we could get into the middle ages, get feudalism before GCA, and end this war very quickly.
[01:25] <Togas> I don't see why GCA oughta get any closer to the middle ages.
[01:26] <OctavianX> We plan to offer peace and a border at Balance of Power in that message, especially in response to the recent growth of the other four teams.
[01:26] <Togas> but if you do, aren't you completely throwing away your promise to CDG?
[01:27] <Togas> their dieing wish?
[01:28] <OctavianX> We're gonna attack again when we are actually ready to put up a meaningfull offensive. That's a given.
[01:28] <Togas> is it?
[01:31] <Togas> I doubt a cease fire is going to help win the war. GC has a better industry and a stronger military.
[01:31] <OctavianX> Still, we need time to build up.
[01:32] <OctavianX> Before we do have the time for putting up an offensive that actually has a chance of taking Balance of Power, GCA will have that army, and more, breathing down our necks.
[01:32] <Togas> it sounds like a lose-lose situation.
[01:34] <OctavianX> We've noticed. A peace time, to us, seems like the best chance for our survival.
[01:35] <Togas> OK, I've been cleared to tell you the following information:
[01:35] <Togas> we have found a goodie hut.
[01:35] <Togas> We have aquired Polytheism.
[01:36] <Togas> We are about to pop the hut and are praying for Curency
[01:36] <Togas> IF we get it, we want to give Poly, Currency, and YOUR construction to CDG before we take their last city
[01:36] <Togas> we would do this next turn.
[01:36] <Togas> assuming we get currency, of course.
[01:36] <Togas> it would result in CDG getting Feudalism, which we'd give to you.
[01:36] <BigFree> but we need Construction before we pop the hut to pull it off
[01:37] <OctavianX> ahhh....
[01:37] <Togas> constr costs more than currency, so currency would appear.
[01:37] <OctavianX> And if currency doesn't come out?
[01:37] <Togas> we keep on sailing for the next hut
[01:37] *** Trip (~trip@12-211-215-245.client.attbi.com) [joined] #isdgfamtalks.
[01:37] <BigFree> then we hunt for more :)
[01:37] <WhiteBandit> we cry :)
[01:38] <BigFree> but it is an ecellent shot at keeping GCA in the dark ages
[01:38] <OctavianX> I'll bring it up in the forum...
[01:38] <Togas> don't waste our time on this.
[01:39] <Togas> endless debates and bureaucracy is going to spoil this chance, and ruin our friendship. And distrustful leaders on your side are going to result in us not trusting you either.
[01:39] *** MasterZen (Master@dup-200-66-239-189.prodigy.net.mx) [joined] #isdgfamtalks.
[01:39] *** nye (notyoueith@h24-86-76-127.ed.shawcable.net) [joined] #isdgfamtalks.
[01:39] <nye> hello, octavian.
[01:39] * OctavianX is beginning to feel a bit crowded.
[01:39] <OctavianX> Hello all
[01:39] <MasterZen> don't let us intimidate you ;)
[01:39] * MasterZen brings in his bodyguards, Guido and Nunzio
[01:39] <Togas> I mentioned to them in POly chat about this conversation
[01:40] <Togas> and they wanted to check it out.
[01:40] <OctavianX> I will bring up that possibility with the greatest urgency...
[01:40] <OctavianX> Also, remember, bureacracy is something our democracy games like to set up. ;)
[01:41] <nye> Octavian. I am somewhat alarmed that the grave of CDG is not yet covered, and promises are being... reconsidered
[01:42] <MasterZen> bureacracy is good insofar it is a tool to beat passion with logic
[01:43] <OctavianX> I'm sorry to say there was little legitimacy of the promises made by CivGeneral and bootstoots.
[01:44] <OctavianX> Discussion has been bogged down a ton recently.
[01:44] <nye> well. that is unfortunate, considering that civs have taken action based on those words
[01:44] <Togas> even so, Poly did rely on those promises and they meant something to us. They still do.
[01:44] <MasterZen> plus, those promises were made days ago, it's not like you couldn't have reviewed them and rejected them sooner
[01:45] <OctavianX> This is only a result of a lack of inactivity. People disappear all the time over here.
[01:45] <nye> i understand.
[01:45] <nye> however.
[01:45] <nye> people come and go here as well, we do not change coats so easily
[01:45] <OctavianX> Your concerns are warranted. I would feel the same way...
[01:46] <nye> i am glad you can see our view
[01:46] <OctavianX> I'm just the messenger. From a political standpoint, I hold little power.
[01:46] <nye> has togas adequately outlined what could happen if we hold our present courses?
[01:46] <Togas> Thank you for speaking to us. It's difficult being the bearer of bad news.
[01:47] <OctavianX> Yes, he has. The log of this chat is certain to change minds.
[01:49] <nye> Well, we cannot hold you to war that pits you in an unfavourable position
[01:49] <Togas> In any event, please share our thoughts and concerns with your people. We are concerned for two reasons:
[01:49] <nye> we would very much like you to consider the tech implications of peace though
[01:49] <Togas> 1) That peace would make all 3 of us equal techwise.
[01:49] <nye> if GCA catches up to us, we will lose a great advantage
[01:50] <Togas> 2) That CFC is disregarding promises to Apolyton that we depended on, in good faith.
[01:50] <Togas> and I suppose a third point would be about respecting the wishes of CDG, but we will leave that to your team's conscious.
[01:51] *** WhiteBandit has [morphed] into "ShowerBandit"
[01:51] <OctavianX> We would lose a tech-advantage if we were to sign a peace treaty. However, we are already at a disadvantage that would negate any sort of advantage technology gives us.
[01:51] <nye> i see
[01:51] <nye> what tech do you trade for peace?
[01:52] <OctavianX> They are looking for tech trades in general, not ones for peace.
[01:52] <OctavianX> We have yet to discuss any sort of trades.
[01:52] <nye> what has been discussed, if i may ask?
[01:52] <nye> oh
[01:52] <BigFree> GCA can only have polytheism
[01:52] <BigFree> they wil work on Currency next
[01:53] <BigFree> CFC does not need that
[01:53] <BigFree> CFC can trade to get Poly from us
[01:53] <BigFree> possibly
[01:53] <OctavianX> As I understand it, we're equal technologically.
[01:53] <BigFree> peace with GCA nets CFC nothing but time
[01:54] <nye> well, gca could trade poly to cfc
[01:54] <BigFree> CFC=POLY
[01:54] <BigFree> yes
[01:54] <BigFree> true
[01:54] <BigFree> but since Poly gets Polytheism form GCA....
[01:54] <nye> however, cfc could get poly somewhere else
[01:54] <OctavianX> GCA and Apo would be our only sources...
[01:55] <nye> yes, Octavian. and our doors are open to cfc, as they always have been
[01:55] <OctavianX> As I understand it, other than construction, we currently have nothing else to offer.
[01:56] <nye> we understand
[01:56] <BigFree> we would rather deal Poly to you than to let GCA get tech even with both of us.
[01:56] <nye> we would like to delay gca from that for as long as possible. do you agree?
[01:56] <OctavianX> I do, yes.
[01:56] <nye> then we are on the same page
[01:57] <Togas> anyhow, I think we've beat this subject to death already :)
[01:58] <OctavianX> :)
[01:58] <Togas> Sorry if my bosses gave you the 3rd degree ;)
[01:59] <Togas> please bring this log to your team and if you guys would like to talk more, we'll be available.
[01:59] <OctavianX> I plan to do that...
[02:00] <Togas> Good. I'm sure things are clearing now for both of us.
[02:00] <OctavianX> Also, can someone resend the save to thesim10987@msn.com ?
[02:00] <Togas> *clearer
[02:00] <Trip> :p
[02:00] <OctavianX> the civfanatics.net server has crashed...
[02:00] <nye> yes
[02:02] <nye> on it's way
[02:02] <OctavianX> Thanks.
[02:02] <Togas> We've had a good history of trust and cooperation so far, and we would like to continue our very good relations.
[02:02] <OctavianX> Thanks nye. I've got it.
[02:03] <Togas> I hope that FortyJ will reconsider his decision. It seems to hurt things between us and may cause damage to our relationship that neither of us want.
[02:04] <Togas> but enough of all that. ... thanks for coming, OctX
[02:04] <Togas> feel free to hang out and chit chat if you want
[02:04] <OctavianX> No Problem. I have too much time during late nights...
[02:05] <Togas> we have a few people like that over here as well....
[02:05] * Togas AHEMS and motions to Trip.
[02:05] * MasterZen AHEMS and motions to the entire FAM team...
[02:05] * OctavianX makes a mental note not to visit any links provided by Trip...
[02:05] <Trip> :p
[02:07] <Togas> if you see a link with "goats" in it ... STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM IT!
[02:08] <nye> have a good evening, octavian. i must go
[02:08] *** nye (notyoueith@h24-86-76-127.ed.shawcable.net)
#isdgfamtalks.
[02:09] <MasterZen> he left to check out the goats link
[02:11] <BigFree> lol
[02:11] <OctavianX> :p
[02:11] <BigFree> that **** is sick
[02:11] <BigFree> I will never go there again
[02:11] <BigFree> never never never
[02:12] *** ShowerBandit has [morphed] into "WhiteBandit"
[02:22] *** WhiteBandit has quit IRC (Quit: ugh, sleep!)
[02:24] *** Togas has quit IRC (Quit:)
[02:34] *** Trip has [morphed] into "Trip[sleep]"​

*#$!@#$! Octavian!!!

Who's side are you on? If we cannot have the freedom to speak our minds within the confines of our secure forum without fear of those words being repeated verbatim to other teams, then why should we even bother securing our forum.

Note to self... talk to TF about removing the security from the MSDG High Council forum...

My feelings are not necessarily the "official" position of our nation, nor should they be. And the same goes for every one of us. If the nation as a whole votes to honor this "deal" with Apolyton, then so be it.

What you have done here is unnecessarily endanger our relationship with a potential ally. This discussion was premature and should not have taken place until after we have decided as a nation on what to do, and even then it may not have needed to take place in the first place.

Now, this is a game, so I'm goinig to laugh this off as I walk out of my office to run an errand, but please, please, please consider carefully what you say to other teams in the future.

I think Octavian could have left the names of people who are against the construction-trade out of the conversation... It is good to see that FortyJ can laugh of this.

Anyway, didn't this conversation just clear things up? If they get Construction they might be able to get Feudalism and give that back to us. Wasn't the biggest problem with the construction-trade that we would fall behind in techs? If this works out both Poly and CFC will have more techs than GCA, correct?

Octavian, that was uncalled for. Your attitude lately has been p***ing me off. Quit it. No more pre-mature discussions. It is a game, but it's everyone's game. It isn't yours.

I want Poly to let its stance on GCA be known. It is their duty to obey CDG's wish to declare war just as much as it is our duty to give them that tech. They are our only potential ally. We can't win w/o them, and we can't win with a cease fire.

I think Octavian did the right thing. If we can get Feudalism sooner by giving constr. to them it's a good deal. But can we trust Apolyton to give that tech to us?
If we can, It's a good deal for what I can see.

Well, I don't think he did, but that's just my opinion. If you look at your own post, even you want confirmation that Poly is on our side. That's really what I'm looking for as the Foreign Minister. It's my job to try make sure we have good allies/ friends. I can't speak for them, but I think some others want that confirmation as well. I wouldd love to give them construction, if I knew they were willing to back us up and get us into the middle ages.

Octavian X! How can you do that? Who's side are you on? I have literally suspected you as a double agent for a while now. I finally have enough evidence to post that feeling.

Why didn't you just give them a copy of our RL signatures and our Social Security Numbers? Maybe our banking account numbers as well?

Please stop this insanity. Please relinquish your messenger status to someone else and stop making a gift out of our plans.

It's obvious that GCA made that deal offer because they want to trade us Polytheism. It's obvious that you just told APO about the offer. Now our knowledge of the offer is in APO's hands and they are now a major player in our negotiations with GCA. Great!

We need to work on our negotiations in private. Not publish them for the world to read. APO just wants to soak us anyway, while they push us into a constant conflict with GCA. I could tell by your chat log that they were just dangling a carrot in front of your nose. Please stop negotiating with them.

We need to have SOME negotiations with Apolyton. They are to be our allies in the war with GCA. Sure, Oct revealed some sensitive information, but I'm sure he's no double agent, or else he wouldn't have posted this in the first place. Octavian was merely stating what we had agreed to by general consensus as far as the construction deal was concerned, and also what was on the bargaining table as far as potential agreements with GCA, and he wanted to discuss this with our ally.

I think that a few steps should be taken to prevent this happening in the future. Perhaps the FA department should consult regularly with the ambassadors to set up times for chats with other nations. Also, perhaps chat threads should be posted before the chats take place if possible so that people should discuss what should and should not be said at the chats. Also, the FA department should make clear to the ambassadors what may be revealed and what should remain secret.

Well, Boots, I have tried to make regulated chats before (last term). I guess I can give it a shot again. Octavian, what times would be good for you to chat regualry with Poly? I'm only addressing you, since we ar at war with GCA and CDG is gone, so the ambassadors there shouldn't hold regular chats.

I love the chats posted before being conducted idea, Boots. It makes it a heck of alot easier for me to handle foreign affairs.

As for the secret stuff, contact me (or ask the public, here), if you don't know.

If Octavian is indeed a double-agent, then what a grand tale that would make when this is all said and done. I'd love to read those memoirs... :D

I think that it is safe to say that Octavian's remarks were preemptive and unfortunate, but perhaps we can turn this situation to our advantage...

Octavian, kindly notify your contacts at Apolyton that you were mistaken during your most recent discussion and that your comments did not represent the official position of the Fanatikese government and that we will be contacting them shortly concerning this NAP and all related items.

<><><><><>

Furthermore, I hereby propose the following "official" response:

I'd recommend that we wait 36 or 48 hours before sending this so that everyone has ample time to comment.

We, the good people of Fanatikou, recognize that we have no greater friend and ally than the fair people of Apolytonia. We are indeed Blood Brothers as we had initially set forth so many turns ago.

The fall of Elucidia has indeed shaken the foundation of our continent and, as brothers, we must take action lest the evil that rid the world of our Elucidian brethren exact the same fate upon us both.

Fortunately, Elucidia's dying wishes may prove to be the foundation for a greater and stronger bond than we ourselves could possibly have imagined before this day. We are now faced with the opportunity to forge a partnership that could launch both of our nations to unparalleled glory.

We propose the following:
  1. Full and total parity in technology between our two nations as of this moment - both in what we know and are currently studying.
  2. That we share our world maps so that we can better devise a strategy to deal with our mutual enemy.
  3. That neither nation shall participate in any trading of any sorts with the Gamecatcher Alliance.
  4. That Apolytonia join in the defense of our mutual survival, for if Fanatikou falls, then Apolytonia will surely be next.
I urge you to accept this proposal for the betterment of both of our nations. Let us honor not only the memory of Elucidia, but also the dying wishes of those souls who have so generously presented us with the means to leapfrog the rest of the continent, nay, the world, in both technology and power.

Our nations united can accomplish much more than if we remain divided.

On behalf of your Blood Brothers in the South,
FortyJ
President of Fanatikou

<><><><><>

EDIT: Of course, this might have to be modified slightly depending on the outcome of our Fireside Chat.

I think it is a great piece of work, Mr. President. Apolyton will get their construction, and we get our alliance. Plus, it would mean future cooperation. I don't think Poly will break a 'direct' deal. It would be dishonorable to them (but that's just what I think). So, if they sign, then our luck is going to change.

First of all, I will state that I feel my actions justified. Win or lose against GCA, Apolyton must be our closest ally, as they will one day become the only power to truly rival us. If we are to build a strong relationship, there must be sharing of information at some level. Therefore, I feel the information divulged was completely justified.

In retrospect, it was incorrect of me to act with little concensus on the issue. However, the chat is slightly out of context. In addition to #civfanatics, I usually sit around in #apolyton as well. While I was idling there as usual, I had been prodded about our contruction progress. That's how the above was started.

I fully trust Apoyton - they will not divulge this information to GCA, or anyone else for that matter.

Lastly, if there is information that higher-ups feel should not be revealed, I ask that those powers-that-be at least state that they should not be divulged. As stated above, I acted on previous discussion where there was general agreement that we should hold our Apolytonian friends close, and felt that the moved had to be made.

I find this chat highly innapropriate but at the same time had a rather important goal:

So here's the idea I have based on what I read: We trade them contruction for polytheism and currency when they get it. Then, we give it to CDG, and they give us the tech. A problem with it though is that They could very easily get engineering or monotheism. The fuedalism IS NOT GUARENTEED!

As I read it above, we give them construction. They get currency. They give currency, contruction, monotheism to CDG, who then gives "fuedalism" (how do they know it'll be that tech?) back to APO. APO then, on good faith gives us currency, monotheism, and "fuedalism" all at once. That's BAD.

Just to add, follow the dude's advice

DO NOT CLICK A LINK WITH "goat" in it! A friend pulled this on me last night and I'm scarred for life (seemed mundane enough at the time)

My day today is going to be extremely busy again, so I cannot guarantee that I will get to it until tomorrow morning, but I would like to send this message off to Apolyton today if there are no objections.

It's a gamble, trying to get Fuedalism, but it's worth it. Imagine CGA's expressions when they are running into Pikes.

We've got to be agressive, and take a few chances if we want to keep up with everyone. Let's do this deal.

-- Ravensfire

I don't have time to read this, but WHY THE HELL did we not follow through with our deal!?!?!?!?! We are not jerks. We must own up to our deal. If they did nothing to break, we should feel ashamed of ourselves!

Top Bottom