1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying Real World Concepts to Civ 4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Scholastic, Dec 25, 2005.

1. anti_strunt

anti_strunt Warlord

Because it was a political necessity for Hitler to cozy up with them?

OK... Sure... "State Property" is way overpowered anyway...

While the Spanish colonial empire was the marvel of its age, the endless flow of gold and silver and the resulting inflation eventually brought bankrupcy and financial ruin to the mother country. Queen Isabella was pretty sharp herself tho, from what I recall.
    Haven't read Karl Marx, too lazy to start analysing the theorteical feasability of communism.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: Please don't turn this in to a thread about hitler....

3. Scholastic

Scholastic Chieftain

Only until the transition from a republic to a fascist state. Afterwards, they were completely useless to him. Again, state property. Businesses are only valuable in a capitalist state. Fascism is not capitalism.

Explain that please.

I was referring to the Spanish inquisiton.

4. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

He's referring to State Property in the game. Zero upkeep, removes all distance-based maintenance, and provides bonus food to many improvements.

5. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

I didn't read the thread through, but Hitler wasn't a military genius at all. He was a political genius, that's for sure, but not military genius... He made extrem mistakes during WW2. Without him the nazis would have rushed Moscow, and Stalingrad, before the Russians could reinforce them, and could take them without those incredibly severe fights. Without Hitler, the nazis would have attacked in the spring, and they hadn't had to fight during the Russian winter. Without Hitler the LuftWaffe could have destroyed the English Royal Air Force. Hitler ordered the terrorising bombing of London, Coventry, Bristol etc, but continuing to bomb strategical locations, factories, harbors, and airports would have totally crippled the English air force. But because Hitler started attacking the civilians, the Royal AIr Force could reinforce itself. The disembarkation of England would have been a real possiblity.
    I don't say that without Hitler the Germans had won WW2, which is nonsense, because of the enormous American industry and force, but there had been a lot less German casualties, and more German successes.
    I think without Hitler the Allied victory would have been a LOT harder.

6. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Oh, and don't forget: without Hiler Germany wouldn't have wasted so much resources to exterminate the Jew.

7. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

My prejudice that Americans are ignorant is getting stronger when reading this... Please read some books about WW2, or watch a few films.

8. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

That was 6million Jew. Isn't WW2 taught at schools in the US???

9. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

It is. However, in High School it is not gone over enough. WWII is covered in less than one chapter, IIRC. That is definitely not enough about WWII.

10. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

We covered WWII extensively in my district in Dallas, and even visited museums (a rarity in public schools nowadays).

11. Scholastic

Scholastic Chieftain

Ya, that is one of my favorite civics. I like to use representation, bureaucracy (sp?), serfdom, state property, and theocracy during times of peace.

During wartime: replace representation with police state.

Fascism all the way.

12. slothman

slothman Emperor

[really offtopic and warnable]
    I have to get this off my head.
    Is was specifically mentioned against talking about in this thread so warn if you must.
    I have more on topic stuff to cancel out the WWII stuff.
    Yes there are 6 million Jews.
    But there are 5 million people who were not Jewish.
    I bet there are many people alive right now, mostly in Poland, who have relatives, maybe grandparents who were killed by the Holocaust.
    They could be Christian even.

@Abgar
    I like how you mentioned this.
    I would put you on my buddy list if that list meant something.
    [/really offtopic and warnable]

Back on topic.
    A. Agriculture I was always thinging about the FPC (food, production, commerce) method in the Civs.
    In history life humans went through 4 eons.

First was the agriculture period.
    People were learning how to farm better.
    Most food was still sustinence.

The second time was industrial, though that varied for
    different civilizations.
    Once they had enough people, and technology of course, they started creating machines to do the work, hence increacing "hammers."

Third, when they could build pretty fast they could concentrate on money.
    They built more things like banks and corporations.

The last era, which is now, is informational.
    Many countries, eastern and western mainly, as opposed to Africa, have enough of both and can create many a works of art.
    Not many movies and books are made in so-called undeveloped countries.

I once heard someone say that since wheat wasn't common in the Americas population was limited.
    Since wheat can feed more people then corn Europe grew faster.
    He mentioned that if he went back in time he would want to plant some wheat in the Americas so see what happenes.

I think Civ is good at emulating this.
    You grow first, then create hammers, I almost called them shields, and finally obtain wealth.

Of course the military and technology should always be used.
    If one falls too much you will be attacked.

I want to try it that way, make farms, then workshops, and finally cottages.
    See if historical methods work in civ.

What I really want for Civ, probably like Civ 10 or 20, is to make it so you really can emulate real life.
    Food still can't be traded.
    Trade posts don't exist either.

13. anti_strunt

anti_strunt Warlord

Businesses are still as valuable; the difference is that the Almighty Leader can decide that he doesn't like them and shut them down on a whim.

And the results will naturally be thereafter...

Oh, of course. I did wonder what connection you were trying to make; well, the expulsion of the country's Jews and Arabs after the completions of the Reconquista proved very detractive for the Spanish finances.

14. anti_strunt

anti_strunt Warlord

If it did people wouldn't be spamming cottages like it was going out of style...

15. Marcus Cicero

Marcus Cicero For I am "Thursday!"

HaHaHaHaHa, hitler was a people's genius, he knew how to manipulate and control. His nagging of generals and useless sacks probably lost him that war far sooner then it should have ended. (A good thing to be sure) Rommel was the genius in the German army, He was the brilliant campaigner.

16. anti_strunt

anti_strunt Warlord

Dude, Manstein's were it's at. Rommel got the easy front.

17. Marcus Cicero

I admit manstein was competant, but nothing to Rommel's genius.

18. Scholastic

Scholastic Chieftain

Whatever the case! Do y'all like to use Blitzkrieg tactics in Civ 4?

Blitzkrieg, to my understanding, involves the following 3 step method:

A) Precision bombing
    B) Tank rush
    C) Infantry cleanup

19. Marcus Cicero

Its debatable as to the bombing. I would say on a smaller scale, perhaps, but the major bombing was over England and the tanks never came.

The Tanks rush in in a pronged assault meeting someplace farther down the line. The infantry would then come to clean up the pockets of resistance the panzers had left behind.

20. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Warlord