(APRIL FOOLS) Apolyton & CivFanatics Merging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In trying to digest the basics of the protest here, a lot of it is understandably emotional. it seems there are three major concerns:
1. There seems to be some bad blood between the sites.
2. There is an amazing amount of concern over site aesthetics.
3. It's really all about the Benjamins.

Originally, I started posting at Poly to get strategy tips in Civ2. Now, several years later, I mostly post in the OTF there. I registered here about a month ago because I needed Civ4 info, and CFC seemed more complete and better organized. My point: I see a lot of value in both sites.

I understand that people get pretty invested in their online homes, and have spent a lot of time building up their status within their communities. Clearly, the merging of the sites threatens that. I also understand that people gain a certain sense of entitlement in these things. Most people are not good with change and uncertainty. The new insta-forum site is ample evidence of that.

Please try to remember, ppl, that these sites cost money to run and time to administer. All the owners are trying to do is keep our sites alive. Get past your emotions. Provide some considered, intelligent input. Maybe we can make a bigger, better, stronger community.

Maybe we can even find a decent name for it. ;)

I posted this a Apolyton earlier but I thought I'd cover the bases here as well.

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

In Civ3 times the Strategy Forum was renowned for taking "utter noobs" by their hands and making "pros" of them, or at least players who have mastered the basics. I'm not saying the Apolyton Civ4 Strategy is a bad place, but somehow it's sad that the noobs seem to prefer other places now.

What concerns MP, well, I can't say I blame both forums for not covering it accordingly. Both provide a platform for discussions, but a true Civ MP forum demands more infrastructure like tournament organization and ladder mechanics, and it needs a very active staff of moderators dedicated to MP, which is what both Apolyton and CFC simply do not have.

Well when Civ4 first came out(actually before it was released) me and Markos made an arrangement, which ended in an official "site affiliation" between Apolyton and Civ4players. This was aimed at bring an increased MP presence to Apolyton as we at Civ4players have the MP knowledge and expertise at the MP facet of this game. This is why I am the "MP group leader" at poly. Unfortunately despite mine and markos's efforts, with a MP forum and tournament forum on poly, it failed to garner much interest.

On behave of the Admins/moderator at C4P, I would be glad to offer a similar deal to the new CivJunction Fan Site. We would certainly be interested in a similar or expanded co-operation between what will be the largest SP fan site and the largest MP Fan sight.

If Dan or Thunderfall is interested you can find me at Civ4players(see my sig) or emal me at csolder@telus.net

CS

I shall continue to fly the flag of the CPC Insurgency until it is revealed whether this is a joke or not!

OK it is now 1201 AM in NYC.
Is it a joke or not?

no joke. we must learn to live together. i see this now

I suppose in the end this isn't really all THAT bad. But I love CivFanatics...I don't like the new name. It'll take a long time to get used to. CivJunction...wtf...is it a railroad station?

:lol: @ griff

there is a thread in 'Poly to change the name ;)

hopefully we can get it done

NYE,

first off it is an honor to chat with you sir...

second i believe i AM a junkie

third i have acted like a complete twit in both forums and i apoligize

The common foreshortening to "junk" can be seen as pejorative and invites snarky comments from the disgruntled. Of which there are many.
"Junkie" ain't much better.

Plus it sounds like a railroad crossing.

Some sites do need extra money to run things, but often the best way to do this is to offer 'premium' membership options which allow such things as the ability to turn off ads, or special avatar or signature options (essentially the same sort of low value fluff that people pay for when flying first class).

Usually enough people are willing to pay for the premium stuff to make it worthwhile, meanwhile everyone still gets to use all the main functionality of the site. Whatever happens to be the core competency of the site needs to remain free in order to retain and maintain membership.

...If this is true, it is a sad day indeed...

CFC is what got me interested in the internet, and re-inforced my love of Civilization...if it is soiled by Apolyton...*shudders*

Whomp, if you guys want a duel meet me in the lobby sometime tomorrow evening. Or we could play a teamer, say 4v4 anc teamer on TBG? 120 turn timer, say?

It'll be fun :)

Some sites do need extra money to run things, but often the best way to do this is to offer 'premium' membership options which allow such things as the ability to turn off ads, or special avatar or signature options (essentially the same sort of low value fluff that people pay for when flying first class).

Usually enough people are willing to pay for the premium stuff to make it worthwhile, meanwhile everyone still gets to use all the main functionality of the site. Whatever happens to be the core competency of the site needs to remain free in order to retain and maintain membership.

If that was directed at me, I can't argue against what your saying because I think you are right, yet the skeptic in me thinks this could be a excellant way to make money from what was a free fansite, and if this is the case imo its wrong, if not then apologies to whomever runs the site.
Either way I know I would'nt pay for anything out of principal which is a shame as i used to enjoy playing gotms etc, just for my own fun, never to "compete" but more because I enjoyed the maps.

Either way I know I would'nt pay for anything out of principal
You didn't buy Civ4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom