New CivFanatics logo Ideas created by AI

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I was playing with chatGPT with DALL-E3 image generation.

My prompt was:
I need to create a new logo for my website civfanatics.com, which is a fan site dedicated to the Sid Meier's Civilization series. Could you help?

It generated these 4 logos. What do you guys think?
I am very impressed but I am confused why it added two IIs to CivFanatics... :confused: Feel free to post new CivFanatics logo ideas here! I think the site could use a new look! :)

Illustration of a stylized globe with hexagonal tiles, reminiscent of the game board from Sid Meier's Civilization series. The globe is surrounded by ancient and modern icons representing different eras of civilization, such as pyramids, skyscrapers, and swords. Above the globe, the text 'CivFanatics' is written in bold, modern typography.

DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.14.03 - Illustration of a stylized globe with hexagonal tiles, reminiscen...png

Vector design of a parchment scroll unraveling to reveal a map with iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Great Wall of China, and Statue of Liberty. The game's iconic hexagonal tiles form the background of the map. 'CivFanatics' is written across the top in a classic, elegant font.
DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.14.57 - Vector design of a parchment scroll unraveling to reveal a map wi...png

Illustration of a shield emblem, featuring symbols from various civilizations like Roman laurels, Egyptian hieroglyphs, and Greek columns. Behind the shield, crossed quills represent the storytelling aspect of the game. Above the emblem, the 'CivFanatics' name stands out in a bold typeface.

DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.15.00 - Illustration of a shield emblem, featuring symbols from various c...png

Vector logo with a compass rose pointing to various iconic monuments from different eras and civilizations. The compass is set against a backdrop of hexagonal tiles. At the top, 'CivFanatics' is displayed in a sleek, contemporary font.
DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.15.02 - Vector logo with a compass rose pointing to various iconic monume...png

I alerted the AI of the spelling mistake. It apologized, and regenerated two of the logos, this time with corrected spelling after a few prompts.

Vector logo design with a detailed globe featuring hexagonal tiles, similar to the game board from Sid Meier's Civilization series. Surrounding the globe are symbols from various civilizations like pyramids and skyscrapers. Positioned prominently above the globe is the correctly spelled text 'CivFanatics' in a bold, modern font.
DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.26.27 - Vector logo design with a detailed globe featuring hexagonal tile...png

Vector artwork showcasing a parchment scroll that is unfurling to reveal a world map containing renowned landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower and the Great Wall of China. The background of the map consists of the game's distinct hexagonal tiles. Displayed prominently across the top is the name 'CivFanatics' in an elegant, classic typeface.
DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.26.43 - Vector artwork showcasing a parchment scroll that is unfurling to...png

Another variation:

Illustration of a stylized globe with hexagonal tiles, echoing the game board from Sid Meier's Civilization series. Surrounding the globe are symbols of different eras like pyramids, modern skyscrapers, and medieval swords. Positioned prominently above the globe is the text 'CivFanatics' in a bold, modern font, ensuring the spelling is accurate.

DALL·E 2023-10-07 16.34.17 - Illustration of a stylized globe with hexagonal tiles, echoing th...png

Question: Where would you use this logo? In the banner at the top of the forum? Or on the home page?

Comments:

I'm not a fan of the dark green on white. Honestly it looks like American money, which I've never liked to look at.

Vector artwork showcasing a parchment scroll that is unfurling to reveal a world map containing renowned landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower and the Great Wall of China. The background of the map consists of the game's distinct hexagonal tiles. Displayed prominently across the top is the name 'CivFanatics' in an elegant, classic typeface.
View attachment 674673
This one is nice to look at. It's also the only one that accurately shows Newfoundland, rather than just a blob.

However, it shows the entirety of Canada as a frozen wasteland, which is not accurate.

I'm trying and failing to find the Great Wall of China. And somehow there are two Eiffel Towers, neither of which are anywhere near France. One is in the South Atlantic Ocean, and the other is in the Antarctic Ocean.

I'm unsure what the skyscrapers are meant to depict. Sorry if any of them are accurate renditions of American skyscrapers as I'm not familiar with most of them. But there seem to be a lot of skyscrapers in places where none should be (ie. in the middle of the ocean).

If the idea is to show the Wonders, where are the Pyramids? What is that columned structure in Brazil?

This one is the nicest of the ones on offer, but it still needs a lot of work.

It would be nice if "CivFanatics actually was on top, rather than split between top and bottom. We all use "Civ" as shorthand for the game, both in saying, "I play Civ" and in specifying which version. Not everyone does, though, as I've found out on other forums when I say, "I play Civ" and other people respond with "Huh?"

So if the font was smaller, 'CivFanatics' would fit on top, and maybe have the word 'Forum' on the bottom?

My current 5-cent opinions.

Oh, and some time back, The_J gave me the go-ahead to try to design some forum-themed avatars for people who don't like to use regular avatars. They consist of a background and "Civilization Fanatics Center". No units or anything else - just background and text. No designs have been finalized yet. I'm still experimenting.

Question: Where would you use this logo? In the banner at the top of the forum? Or on the home page?
If we get a good logo, it would go to the top of the forum and main site.

Hm.

Well, this is what's on the top of the Dark theme:

cfc-dark-theme-logo.png

It's elegant and classy, and easy on the eyes for those of us who are visually impaired. I get that there's a lot of blank space, but that contributes to it being uncluttered.

Still, you asked for feedback, and I've given you mine. Of all those you presented, the second scroll one is the most visually appealing in terms of colors and design. The only problems I have with it are the split in "CivFanatics", all of Canada shown as frozen wasteland (we do have some forests!) and the buildings being in weird places.

I am confused why it added two IIs to CivFanatics... :confused:
maybe because you said "new," so it's CivFanatics II.

It learned how the Civ franchise works Vs and Is into the word Civilization in its cover art and did something similar.

I like number 2 because it puts the wonders in different spots than in our Earth, which can happen in a game of Civ.

I doubt any of us have been able to put the Eiffel Tower in the Antarctic Ocean!

I'm not opposed to including the Eiffel Tower, but it should be on land.

I doubt any of us have been able to put the Eiffel Tower in the Antarctic Ocean!

I'm not opposed to including the Eiffel Tower, but it should be on land.
If your city is coastal, Civ V will sometimes put the graphics for world wonders in the ocean.

I prefer the current "old" logo. All of these new ones are much too cluttered. Just because something is new does not mean it is better. As it is written: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yeah, these look a bit too busy. Plus AI may end up generating something that creates trademark issues depending on what it's trained of off.

Actually, if a new logo is really what you want, @Thunderfall, why not make it a contest for the members? There are some pretty artistic people here who could have a go at it.

I'd prefer art created by a human. Just sayen.

I echo the voices saying that the old logo or a competition for a human, non-AI generated logo would be much better.

There are two problems with this approach:

1. Art-creating AI is built and trained on copyrighted, stolen artwork made by humans.

2. Any art you create with this AI for this purpose can never be copyrighted, so you retain no actual ownership over the logo.

At best, you could use these prompts as a sort of sketch for a real artist. It's likely they'd refuse the project, though, given (1). I understand the appeal of art on demand, but legally the road is far too murky to be of legitimate use to a representative forum for a franchise with heavy industry and legal traffic.

There are two problems with this approach:

1. Art-creating AI is built and trained on copyrighted, stolen artwork made by humans.

2. Any art you create with this AI for this purpose can never be copyrighted, so you retain no actual ownership over the logo.

At best, you could use these prompts as a sort of sketch for a real artist. It's likely they'd refuse the project, though, given (1). I understand the appeal of art on demand, but legally the road is far too murky to be of legitimate use to a representative forum for a franchise with heavy industry and legal traffic.
I would also quietly argue that CFC prides itself on UGC (User Generated Content), and using an AI is pretty contrary to that community aspect.

If suggestions are allowed, we have LOTS of very creative people here in the community, make a competition of it. I'm sure you could probably rustle up a key for ARA or Millennia (I could probably talk to Soren and see if I could get you an Old World key) as prizes. Allow submissions for a period, then do rounds of voting culminating in finals, and a grand final. You guys know how to do this.

I have no objection to AI art in principle, but at present I find that even the best of it has an aspect of the uncanny valley to it, especially where fine details are concerned, and none of these prospective logos is an exception. That said, I see no problem with using DALL-E for prototyping, and a human-made logo in the vein of either the first or last candidate could look splendid

Some of these gfx are really stylish...
Pixels can be off with AI, but I suppose you would use a smaller version of the graphic anyway.

While I don't see any reason to not have a competition (like Dale suggested), I am unsure about the legal status of the graphic. So in that vein, it might be a better idea (if you go with human creators) to just pay some artist to do it.

Top Bottom