1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Arcanum

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Tolina, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Double A

Double A wak

U S A

2. Amesjay

Amesjay Chieftain

Kingdom of Korakas reporting in

Question
    Does it matter/is there a reason I have mana as opposed to industry? (just cause like I do have dwarves and such)

3. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

btw guys, I'm going to conquer the world, so don't get too comfy

4. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

I assume you're joining as the Tribes of Punt, yes?

5. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

If the dwarven republic if the Jeromac was an eu4 nation its ideas would be...

Dwarven traditions: 10% production efficiency and 5% infantry combat ability

Clan based organization: clans are the bedrock of our society, by recognizing this and organizing recruitment and bureaucracy around them we can more effectively recruit and administer the government
    10% national manpower modifier and 10% national tax modifier

Integration of church and society: After an initial period of conflict, the church has meshed well with the various parts of society and wields almost unmatched influence. The social cohesiveness and harmony that has resulted is remarkable
    +3 tolerance of the true faith

For the homeland! : We have fought long and hard for our beloved city, by the earth mother we swear no foreign power shall ever occupy it. If they intend to do so and invade we will make them pay in an ocean of blood for every foot they take.
    +1 attrition +10% defensiveness

The formation of New Thel: The old enemy returns claiming to be revitalized! We must be ever vigilante as they sought to destroy us in ages past
    +5% discipline

Auditors: Every battle has lost money in the form of loot plundered by soldiers or mercenaries. Dwarves with their special relationship to wealth have devised a system to counter this - auditors. Well paid accountants in peacetime they devise numerous and incentives ways some more ethical than others to cut costs and increase loot. Be careful of warring with dwarves for they shall strip your soldiers of their weapons, their armor, their boots and if necessary their lives.
    +10% loot from provinces -10 land maintenance modifier -20% looting speed

Propoganda: Liberals are always whining about how our abysmal journalist protection means that the problems of society are hidden from view. In our view it's not a problem. The lack of free journalism means that there is no alternative to state and church propoganda so we can more effectively ease the worries and concerns of our citizens
    -25% stability cost modifier -.1 monthly war exhaustion

The Industrial Revolution: A new age dawns upon us as factory based production outpaces artisan production. Suddenly these giants belching smoke are everywhere and the newspapers seem to crown a new steel baron everyday. These are the most exciting of times and overall living standards are showing a rise thanks to the increased production output
    +10% goods produced

Dwarven ambitions: +25% force limits

6. Double A

Double A wak

Why do the dwarves only have one tradition and why isn't it discipline?

7. Tolina

Why in the name of Lo- Ishrama is EU4 being discussed here

get out of here riiiight now

8. jackelgull

Oh hey you're right. It still won't be discipline since more than 5% discipline in a nations ideas is op and I'm a filthy dwarf w--ker but I'm not that much of a filthy dwarf w--ker

9. Double A

Double A wak

you can say :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) on cfc because the mods are american

well that was unexpected

10. Tolina

Right, so, I am well-aware that the order deadline is long from here. However, I should clarify that each turn lasts three years, something you probably should note while writing orders and especially when writing war plans. It wouldn't hurt if you also give a date on when you're doing X thing, e.g - "building X - 12th Dullsky 1833" or the like. Not necessary, but would be appreciated.

You're sending orders now for 1827-1830 AE.

11. Tolina

14th Warmpeak
    Irie Tori

[TAB]Nalore. We've all heard about it. The legends, the curses. One big foolishness, both before it became one with the sea floor, but especially so after it did so. Many have sought its treasures that lie in the depths of the seas. Greed has driven the Thelians, but for all the posturing that we do about being different from them, we do embrace their principles. Granted, at the very least, they did chase after things that are real - i.e, land and fortune. All that most treasure hunters seek is ghosts and smoke.

[TAB]But let us look into the things that we know for truth. The location of Nalore isn't the real issue, as it is well known. Indeed, a portion of the ruins still remains near the capital of Allegia...although, most people tend to stray away from there, as strange and unexplained things happen to those who wander there. They may disappear, forever. If they're lucky. Some of them do reappear, but they're changed. So they say, but I'm willing to discount this as crazy rumours made up by real estate purchasers to lower the price. Granted, magical radiation is harmful, and can result in unprecedented effects, but the chances of this being actually true are laughably low.

[TAB]Still, for those few believers out there, the stories tell of a number of prized artifacts that give supposed powers beyond one's imaginations. Just for our amusement, as I find the idea in itself to be plainly ridiculous, let us list some of the more "famous" pieces. I should note, yet again, that there's no reason to believe in their existence. But I digress, let's get back on topic - artifacts:

• Empress's Crown: The crown worn by the Ethereal Empress herself, is said to imbue a woman (and woman only, one of the few things the tales are concrete about) with the blessing of immortality. Certain stories also tell that only Elves can wear the Crown, but, well, those sources all happen to be from Elvish origin. What a strange coincidence.

• Magistrate's Ring: A ring worn by an Ethereal Magistrate in the eve of the destruction of Nalore, it is said that as the city was slowly consumed in flames, moments before the explosion, the angst and anger that the Magistrate felt within him supposedly became part of the Ring's power, giving its user magical powers beyond their furthest desires. Of course, unfortunately, as it is with such things, it also curses its owner with rage and loathment for all man, eventually ending his life. Or all life. If, of course, this ring even exists.

• Lorras' Diadem: Beyond being a philosopher, whose ideas live on even today amongst the lands of the Receivers (and, arguably, the Iridescent Kingdom), Lorras was also a mighty spellcaster. He created his spells accordingly to his philosophy, in other words, they made life easier. The powers of the Diadem are varying, but teleporting is the one most commonly seen in the tales. There's...of course, a number of alternative powers also exist, including materialising food, drink and...women? This sounds like a crude bard song you'd hear in a backwater dump, if I must be honest.

• Coin of the Navigator: A mystical artifact, said to belong to the great Elf explorer Uthorios, who was the first Thelian to discover the Circle Islands. Legend says it, however, that he had also discovered a mystical coin somewhere not too far from where today the city of Chandya-kena lies. This coin, with just a minimal amount of mana, can be made bound with any treasure, thus serving as a straight guide towards a treasure. The seekers, they say that a Thelian cache is out there, and that this coin is the only way to find it. This artifact doesn't even have a curse in itself; rather, it hides in the nature of Human and Elf and Dwarf alike - the all-consuming greed that makes people turn on each other.

• Wand of Xasica: A parable exists within the magical societies - about a Thelian spellcaster, called Xasica. He had grown wise and old, as well as powerful, with powers that rivalled the ones of an Ethereal Magistrate. At his last years, however, he felt that there is no thrill, no challenge in his life. All that he wanted to do was done, and all that awaits is death. It is then that he heard about the so-so called "wild mana". Now I am no scholar of this thing - all things magical come off to me as nonsense, but as the name clearly shows - this mana is very much uncontrollable. Xasica sought to control it, and embed it within a wand, an achievement in itself. Thus came soon the day of the reckoning - when he'll show the world his abilities...or not. Moments after the first cast, he disappeared - alongside, well, as it turned out - everything about him that was unrelated to the wand had disappeared. All that remained from Xasica was the wand itself (locked, somewhere underneath a stone tower in Nalore) and this tale. And this is where, the spellcasters say, is the lesson of the parable - Never tempt fate. Good thinking.

[TAB]But that's enough tall tales, I believe. Let's get into something slightly more...real. A number of nations do believe in the mirage of the treasures that hide within Nalore, ignoring logic and reason, which clearly dictates that no man or creature, even one aided by magic, can reach the sea bottoms where Nalore lies. True, perhaps they could brave some of the pieces on the shallower bottoms, but I doubt that this is where they would find anything interesting...not to mention, even then, the magical radiation would dissipate their spellcasting easily. Still.

• First off, and nearest to the supposed location of Nalore, would be the Free State of Shelogorod, an unsavoury bunch of Orc pirates that raid settlements, prey upon our ships and in general, are a nuisance. They drink, feast and the such, things that tend to be expensive. It wouldn't surprise me none in the least if they would follow even the faintest sign of treasure, whether it's true or false. Indeed, Shelgorodian...folks, to say it nicely, have discovered many seemingly impossibly floating pieces of masonry, something that has only stirred the rumours about Nalore's location being right here. In short: just the dim-witted treasure hunters I spoke about earlier on.

• Next would be the Receivers. Yes, these folks. I've had the interesting experience of visiting Bounty a while ago, and I believe that if even half of what they say about Lorras' Diadem is true, they would be the first to make a jump at it. It seems fitting for them, being hedonists inspired by his philosophy, that they would seek it. Granted, of course, it's all up to them, and it doesn't sound very pleasant to dive deep into the water for something that may not even exist.

• Now let's head a bit south, to a destination which only confuses me. The Iridescent Kingdom. A place of colour, majesty, but also spellcasters and deviancy. Mostly deviancy, now that I think of it. But I digress. While neither Queen Ranunculae nor the heir, Aegis, have officially shown any interest towards Nalore, some of the nobility with a bit of an...obsession with Thel have shown an interest towards funding an expedition to see what's what.

• Like a giant snake, enveloping the southern tundras, the United Gates of Revnoz lies. This sounds like a travel journal, but I assure you, it's relevant. We've spoken with an anonymous Revnozian researcher, and the opinion goes that within Nalore, valuable clues and information about the locations of the remaining Gates lies. And, now that would make sense, yes? The religion's prophet, some Ethereal Magistrate (supposedly, of course) called Victus Revnoz must have been in Nalore at some point? Any smart person would realise that he probably discovered the Gates somewhere amongst the dusty libraries of Nalore.

• The icy isles in the cold southeast hide a surprise. Of all nations, Azkarthame is one of the few that earnestly desires to discover Nalore and its secrets, not in order to get rich, but as a veneration of Thel and the realm they have created. For them, Nalore isn't just a way to boost themselves via grave robbery - no, it is just the beginning of the long and arduous process of restoring the glory of the Thel Imperium, as it was meant to be. The power and wealth from such an act would come on their own.

• Moving on, the various Tharldoms, as well as the former Rane principalities aren't interested in Nalore beyond as a way of to gain treasure to fight their enemies, or, indeed, each other. This means that next up, New Thel would be the logical nation to be interested in the ruins of Nalore. Due to the complex political situation, however, there isn't much interest in it. At best, few adventurers may attempt something...but, well, nothing too solid.

• Finally, we come to the last nation of interest, a bit far off from where we left. The Circle Islands. They are interested in nothing that attracts any of the other nations - it isn't money, magic, research or pride. All they want is to clean up the dirt. The priests of Naga, they say that Nalore is a piece of dirt in the underwater kingdom of the Goddess, and that it must be removed. Talk about dedication, hmm?

[TAB]Of course, this list is nowhere near comprehensive. Truly, other nations probably also have their plots towards Nalore and its treasures. If they exist. Which they don't. But, hey, it's good for the locals around the ruins, so, maybe it's not all bad. Maybe, who knows, maybe I'll turn out to be wrong. I doubt that.

-------

What is this? This is a WORLD EVENT! All PC nations are in it, although, for in-universe reasons, some nations may be in it a bit more than others. What can you do? Well...put your mind to the problem? Roleplay about it? Waste money? The ball, so as to speak, is in your court.

12. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 The Continuation of the Dream Supporter

FYI, the rules are going to get an update and with that update I'm going to just double check through the stats. I'll try and get it up, although homework is being a pain in the neck. Once I get through this weekend bottleneck it should be up shortly after that. It will probably impact your orders slightly, so sorry for any inconvenience.

13. jackelgull

The Holy Inquirer

President Responds to Refugee Crisis

In a press conference on the 15th Seedbreak, President Kandros revealed his plan to deal with the developing refugee crisis as hordes of citizens from the Free Cities cross the border seeking to escape the rioters.

He seeks to work with groups of concerned citizens on the frontier who have borne the brunt of the migrant wave, and have banded together to keep a watch on the refugees, and ensure they do nothing to breech the law. They police these migrant communities with the approval of the police, whose resources are overtaxed and unable to deal with the wave.

Now these groups rather than simply watching the refugees, have been given the legal authority to detain them and ship them off to government centers in remote places far from citizens of the Dwarven Republic.

Critics argues that this policy simply legalizes and empowers vigilante groups, and that it is treating these refugees like criminals.

Kandros states, "This is not a punishment; however, it must be noted that these people come from a culture different from ours, and proper consideration of that should show in government policy towards them. With the way the past few months of the crisis has gone, it is for the best if we move the refugees away from centers of population."

The Fir administration; however, has been light on details of where the refugees would go and what would happen to them there, claiming it is a matter of national security.

14. Gurra09

Gurra09 Guru of Hekkia

Sorry but I'm dropping, mostly because I'm moving to another city in two weeks for university so I've realised that I won't have as much time to invest in this game as I thought I would earlier this summer.

15. Tolina

----------------------------------

[TAB]The sky's clear. All that one can see is the bright stars in the night sky, unburdened by the presence of the moon. It was a fine summer night, with warm air. The location is the city of Kelvar, capital of the Free Cities in southern Rathel. A quiet moment for a city brim with...well, productive life of smuggling and crime, for the most part.

[TAB]There was a singular soul that did not care about the stars, sky, or the warm air, and even less about the odd quietness, quite uncharacteristic for Kelvar. His name is Gergac, and he was angry, more than anything else. Angry, at his "boss", Jeremiah Brown - the ruler of this little state. To a moment, he tolerated his methods, and his...treatment of Orcs and the few Half Orcs living here. But enough was enough, Gergac was an assassin, but also a Half Orc, who fought his way through this unclean world. For what? To be called a dirty mutt? To clean up after an uncaring master? Is he a human or a dog?

[TAB]Of course, this strange angst and anger weren't the only reason he was out in the night. He was also hungry for power, as any self-respecting citizen in the Free Cities but especially so for someone forced to play a second fiddle to the most powerful man in the hierarchy. And what better way to end both problems, if not by hiring mercenaries - featureless, unburdened by any real ethics but those dictated by coin, who are loyal to the death, so long as the aforementioned coin keeps on trickling in?

[TAB]There were no guards in the palace. They all found reasons not to be there, and why would they be on guard, if some charitable people didn't enrich them with gold in their pockets? The footsteps of the mercenaries and Gergac echoed through the silent halls of the palace, as they were approaching the office of Jeremiah Brown. A much more humble abode than what most rulers do, he claimed that he's just a servant to the people, and as such, he didn't see a reason to raise himself above others. Of course, all but a fiasco - the real rationale was that the office was lined up with various anti-magic talismans, provided by the Orcish shamans living in town. Not to mention that the traps in the previous throne room were still malfunctioning, making it a very dangerous, and, to be fair, short experience to be present in there.

[TAB]Gergac opened the door to the office. He didn't need magic. Jeremiah Brown was just a man, and a single bullet to the head does anyone in. Gergac grinned - he saw this scene many times. Brown, facing the window towards the sea, seated on his comfy chair, back against the door. Gergac wondered how he was never worried even once about his safety. Today, however, was the day when it would all en-

[TAB]It was then that Jeremiah turned around, holding some kind of a strange device, with a blue crystal pulsating within it.

[TAB]"Noticed the guards left early today. Not to mention their pockets were slightly more heavier than usual. Sure ain't payday." he said, in a calm voice. "Not to mention that twelve heavily armed mercs in an empty palace can be heard really easy."

[TAB]"Drop the posturing, Brown...It's all over. Your rule's over." Gergac said

[TAB]"Maybe. You know...This thing - it's a detonator. A magical detonator. It pulsates energy into the walls, which have recently obtained several new...how should I say it, *improvements*. Some kind of Gnomish alchemistry. Don't know the specifics, beyond the fact that if the mana stops pumping in energy, half of the palace will be gone. In this case, including you and your friends over there." Brown answered

[TAB]"What about the anti-magic talismans? Wouldn't they prevent the energy?" Gergac asked

[TAB]"From the bottom of the sea, Gergac? Oh, I saw your plot, and I decided to throw them out." Jeremiah answered

[TAB]"So...what do you want?"

[TAB]"My survival. Just let me out of here. What, you thought I'd try to cling to power like some kind of a desperate worm? Please. If you're ready to coup me, imagine who will be next! At least you're competent. More competent than others, anyway. Last thing I want is to leave some groveling incompetent to take my place. Let me board my sloop - heard only good things about the Circle Islands this time of the year." he answered, then he clicked a button. A mechanical whirring, and a staircase opened up. "Right, so I'm taking this staircase, and then down to my boat! I'm even leaving you the detonator - no need to bring work on my vacation!"

[TAB]The last words echoed in the distance. He was gone, soon enough. Gergac was stunned for a moment, but he knew that he could hear Jeremiah Brown laugh all the way down - and, through the seas - as now an entire new mess was in his hands now.

15th Warmpeak
    Irie Tori
    [TAB]Following the sudden disappearance of Jeremiah Brown, a crisis has developed within the Free Cities. His successor (and some say, assailant!), a Half Orc assassin known as Gergac, seems to be struggling under the fallout. It appears, that for all his perceived cruelty, Brown managed to run a tight operation. With him gone, many do not see Gergac as a legitimate ruler, placing the state into a near-civil war state. For now, there's a cadre of loyal troops, mostly Orcs, but the situation in there is under tenuous, at best, control.

[TAB]To exacerbate the already serious situation, an outpouring of refugees fleeing the chaos has began, with the primary destinations being Jeromac for those better off Dwarves, and Kobraz for those who have poorer fortunes, where they get to do the low-skill jobs that need to be done within the giant factories and/or mines that fuel the industrial state. As for Orcs, an enormous wave has swept the cities of Mogh and Point Ozar. While the local administration is accepting of them, for now, the governors of the two cities have made a joint petition to resolve somehow this situation - one way or another.

[TAB]This, of course, isn't something that passed by without any notice by neighbouring states, especially in Jeromac. Kandros Fir, a person well-known for his imperialistic views, as well as for his dislike of Dwarves hailing from the Free Cities, who supposedly have a "different" culture, despite being right next to Jeromac itself. In Shelgorod, in the meantime, worried about the imperialistic rhetoric thrown around by Fir, the Corsair Queen herself is considering an intervention in this situation - how, it remains unknown. Other states in southern Rathel, too, are keeping an eye on the situation...ever waiting for a moment to strike against their enemies.

-----------

[TAB]Demistrate Paulos Cassander wasn't happy. What he had to do was the last thing he ever wanted to do. But, unfortunately, there was no way out. To be ruled over a Dwarf claiming to be the Ethereal Empress was a pill that is very ha- no, impossible to swallow. Not that begging the "Chalice of Naga" for help was any better, but at the very least, she was from the correct race.

[TAB]So he picked up his quill, dipped it in ink, and began writing...

[TAB]Paulos shook his head. No way this could be happening. All of this sequence of events. Just forty years ago, he had fled the Circle Islands, vowing that he shall craft a new state, a state in which he shall restore his fortune. Him and all the people true and loyal to the proper ways. The best that the Circle Islands had to offer, ones that remained unswayed by the words and actions of that snake, Runa…

[TAB]...Yet, he realised that the only fate he has in a case of a Ragnos expedition (a matter of a "when", not of an "if") was an axe through his chest. He wasn't exaggerating the letter, at least, not more than it is necessary to get the attention on him. Right, there's still more to write about…

[TAB]...Still, he remembered 1814. And the defeats suffered before, by Bevelle and then Ragnos. But still. He survived. Paulos Cassander lives on. And when you think about it - this whole deal with Naga, it sounded very idealistic. Idealism leads only to naivety. Of all qualities, naivety was the one that allows for the easiest manipulations. Hah. Once he has nothing to fear, perhaps a new dynasty - that of the Cassanders, can be created in the ashes of the inevitable failure of Runa. It is just a matter of patience.

[TAB]So it was done. He had now to send the message on the nearest boat. And then hope. However, for some reason, he felt during the entire writing of the letter that the ink, it smelt as if it was blood. But it wasn't. So it was just him being overdramatic. Or is a sign. Who knows.

-----

Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to mid-update. Sorta. Some nations may receive events in this and the next week. There isn't really one true "option" that you can take, so if you have an unique idea, pass it by us and we'll see what we can do. Events are also addressed within your orders. It's also encouraged that you RP your reactions/solutions to the events.

On an unrelated note, NC will also update the rules/stats very soon. So stay tuned.

16. NinjaCow64

Rules and Stat Patch 1.1 (aka the big one)

Stat Changes:

-Fixed the bugs regarding the Elven and Dwarven racial starting bonus, all nations should now start with the correct amount of mana and industry.
    -Added two missing NPCs to the stats (Independent State of the Southern Ibaiaras and Alisanian Confederacy).
    -Updated governor names for The Most Industrial City-State of Kobraz.

Rulebook Changes:

-Added rules for Prisoners of War and Major Atrocities.
    -Militia no longer suck (as much) so people can build competent armies out of just gold that won’t disband if the enemy makes scary faces at them.
    -Increased the cost of increasing new character stats from 1,000 to 10,000 gold per stat increase.
    -Added limit to the amount of characters you can generate per turn (one unless there are positions that need filling in your nations).
    -Increased the cost of creating new cities from 10,000 gold 1,000 population to 100,000 gold 10,000 population.
    -Added a hard cap of building one city per turn.
    -Clarified that sneak attack rules also apply to NPCs.
    -Clarified that you can use units, armies and navies the turn you build them. You can't use characters like that though.
    -Fixed the table of contents
    -Fixed some minor typos.

Misc. Changes:

-Added a list updates to my first page post.
    -Added orders format to my first page post.

You can find both of those things here. I would recommend using the orders format to send orders but you don’t have to. As long as orders are legible and are in one PM I will accept them.

Also I should inform everyone that I am quite evangelical when it comes to ensuring people get their bloody orders in. Expect reminder PMs to flood your inbox when orders are nearly due and you haven’t sent them. If you do not wish to have reminder PMs bother you, you can opt out of this program by contacting me. However, by opting out of this program you will be kept a closer eye on and getting orders in late will be met with harsher punishments. Or you can just get orders done well before the lock and you won’t have to worry about a thing. :)

17. NinjaCow64

I made a very minor change to the recommended orders form.

Also, we have a new and (probably final) orders date lock - 6pm 27th of August GMT+3. So that means orders are due in [TIMER=08/27/2016 6:00 PM GMT+3; 0 seconds, they are due now!!!][/TIMER]

18. jackelgull

The Client System​
    Dwarven society is organized around the clan. Economic trades such as weaving, or mining are usually clan based. Clans are so important, that clans have come with their census system and methods of determining how diluted blood must be before someone is considered "not clan". The legitimacy of the government is derived from its role as a way to coordinate the clans for the good of the whole. This however, leaves humans and half dwarves in an awkward position as they are usually not a part of a clan by birth. Humans because they are not dwarves, and half dwarves because most dwarves will refuse to acknowledge the fact that they slept with a human. However, all sorts of government benefits and rights are tied to a clan, and without a clan, life is difficult. Therefore, a sort of client system developed between the dwarven clan and humans and half dwarves. The basics of the system is that clans will adopt humans and half dwarves, granting them some of the benefits of being a part of the clan in exchange for some dues. One of the more common dues is the labor tax, which requires the human or half dwarf to donate some of their labor to the clan for free in exchange for benefit, although more liberal clans have dispensed with the labor tax claiming it is simply another form of slavery, and have simply insisted on a steep monetary tax.

19. Tolina

Issues of the Year

Events of the Year are, well, things that happened during the year in various nations. Often, such events can lead to curious results later on - whether it is an event that can affect your foreign policy, or an event resulting into a shift in your society, that entirely depends on you.

In these events, I've decided to not hand out a limited options ala Paradox games and rather let the characters describe the situation and perhaps give the most basic solutions. However, don't mistake those solutions for the only ones available - if you have your own way of doing things, by all means, do it! Furthermore, I encourage that you write RP based on the events happening

Those events usually are IC. They also may not appear next turn, as it is very much depending on how well would players receive them/how much work they'll open up for me. Obviously, not all players would receive events each turn, but eventually, if you haven't gotten any event yet, you'll get one, at some point.

Iridescent Kingdom

Novus Nalore. A city full of life, excitement, good drinks, good food, good women - basically, good anything, if you can afford it or have high enough place within society. But this isn't what this is about. No, let's focus on something that most would find...mundane. Bureaucracy. It drags things down, and is generally ineffective. Yet again, time and time have shown that it is, in the end, a necessary evil.

The arm of the bureaucracy in this case would be the Foreign Ministry, which handled all the relations with the dizzying amount of actors on the foreign scene. As one can easily assume, it was swamped, and its bureaucrats were always swamped with literal mountains of various requests, often repeated. One of them, however, would discover amongst those hills of mountains, one message that was, for one reason or another, ignored. The person in this case is an Elf named Voracious Rose. It's been a long d- no, more like, a long string of days, all seemingly stretching into eternity. It's been ages since she last slept for more than three hours, and even more since her bed had...other occupants that don't have four or more legs. So as to say.

Today, she had to handle the documentation and protocols relating to yet another Iron Republic spy found trying to eavesdrop on the Queen by hiding behind a painting. A cliché within the diplomatic spheres at this point, and there was even a form for this case of incidents. Unfortunately, the damn form got lost amongst all the papers, and digging it out would certainly take its time. Eventually, however, the form was filled, and the incident would be resolved - the spy would come home in one piece. However, one thing caught her eye. An old, slightly dirty envelope. Most envelopes here come clean, she thought. Must be here for quite some time. Curiosity took the better of her (and, after all, that's her job - to check the mail?), so she decided to open the letter.

Opening the envelope, however, revealed something that Voracious Rose definitely didn't want to see.

Voracious Rose stared wistfully at the letter and sighed. There goes sleep for her. Now, she has to compose two messages, one for the Queen, and another for Aegis. This is the only way, unfortunately, to get things on this level done. One had to appeal to the Queen's idealism, while the other had to appeal to Aegis' pragmatism...lovely. To add to all of this, the letter was about three months late, as it was now the 19th Plantchime, so she had to get it done as soon as possible. At least, the day was over, and the Foreign Ministry didn't mind composing such letters from home. In fact, they encouraged it, as they were constantly paranoid about being watched, hence why the Ministry owned a number of run-down quarters in unlikely places.

Soon enough, she did come home. The smell of poverty was thick here. And, unless she was followed, no one in their right mind would believe that someone who is part of the Ministry's personnel would live here. Not much in the means of furniture - a simple table and a chair, and a bed that would barely fit her...and, any "guests" she may invite. Voracious Rose gave the bed one more sad look. It was one of those days, when coffee just doesn't chase away the tiredness. Magic had to come in. A wave of the hand, a rush of mana and Flux...And there we are. The fatigue is gone. For now.

And now...yes, time for writing.

Whew. Off to the next letter, to Aegis. The previous one accentuated upon how good the Republic of Arasme...now, as a skilled diplomat and a bureaucrat, Voracious Rose knew that this wouldn't work on Aegis, the cynic he is. Fortunately...that was a positive, for what she was planning, not a negative. After all, what she wanted was someone to do something - what would it be, is up to other people.

Ahh. A job well done. Then, Voracious Rose reached down under the bed - if someone did see her, which they probably didn't, as people living in here, well, they see nothing and hear nothing, they would see her wave her finger, releasing a tiny amount of magic. And if they got a bit closer, they may or may not hear a nursery rhyme from her childhood, which would then reveal a secret safe, in which the letters were deposited. Following that, Voracious Rose fell asleep immediately, as the magic eventually wore off, letting her sleep deeply, sans for a slight scream of terrified pain coming down from the completely legitimate establishment, which woke her just as long as to smile at it. That's five hundred gold for Miss Voracious Rose, alright!

Of course, you would know all of this if you paid attention to the run-down house right across your home, which you didn't, if you valued your life.

Creta

Another day, another meeting. The three heads that run the state of Creta and make sure that it functions properly. To be exact - the Inquisition, the Royal Court and the Court of Engineers. The problematic issue was of military matter. Unlike most nations, it wasn't whether if Creta should go to war, as the target was plainly obvious - the Anaya Bastion due to, well, obviously being evil Elves that deserve nothing but cold steel is one part, but also conquest.

It was more a question of how should the war should be conducted. There was also a bit of when, but the fact remained - war would be inevitable.

The Inquisition, of course, is as always eager to leap into one more opportunity to purge the heretical and evil Elves, who have so foolishly decided to settle within. Furthermore, this, according to the Inquisitors, will open the door to further conquest, all in the glory of Ro's name; first the Anaya Bastion, then the Aka Republic...and why not, at one point, the "New Thel Imperium", with their temerity to call themselves after the demons that oppressed this earth for so long?

The Royal Court of Governors however was much more restrained in its conquest goals. A war against the filthy Elves would be prudent, but it needs to be done in a timely way that would result into a profitable enterprise. One of the suggestions were to sell most, if not all of the Elf population in slavery, although other voices also give other, more...sinister ideas.

Finally, the Court of Engineers objects to declaring war now, due to the insufficient preparations for war done. They argue that they need to obtain technology from the Ngalak Mandate, namely, the schematics for the great Dwarven cannons and the armaments required for a proper war, citing that the Elves still have a slight edge in being able to recruit Mages and various other things on their side, not to mention, the fact that much of the countryside remains to be industrialised heavily.

Azkarthame

There was rage. There was anger. Very few times did such terrifying yells of pure anguish were heard in the palace of the High Queen; perhaps, only after reading the latest issue of the Journal of the Royal Society, where the High Queen Schala publicly called the correspondent a "race traitor", and rumours say that she conducted an extensive espionage campaign from halfaway the continent to find out his identity. Those rumours were confirmed, once Ilsa, the princess, announced that a high reward beyond anyone's desire awaits the one who brings him dead. "If you bring his head on a plate, there'll be a bonus", she is also rumoured to have added, but that remains unconfirmed.

And so, it came to down to a single noble, named Enki. One could say that he drew the short straw. However, considering the name of the said noble, it'd be more accurate that the straw was drawn for him, rather than him actually getting unlucky. Some ill-willing noble, no doubt. His task was very simple - figure out what's going on with the High Queen. If possible, in one piece, but the gestures, the faces of the nobles who told him his "mission" showed well that they wouldn't mind if the High Queen throws him to the dogs in her moment of rage.

As much as a surprise to both Enki and the rest of the nobility, the request for an audience was granted. The sound of the massive throne room doors opening echoed through the entire palace, as no other sound - not even the faintest whisper - could be heard.

In a certain way, it was majestic. As with any noble worth respecting, Enki had also read the Thelaeid, and he couldn't help but remember the passage detailing the Ethereal Empress. The scene that was happening before him was very much reminiscent of the one showing the Empress..perhaps too similar, Enki would have thought on a better day, but not now. No, today he was overwhelmed with fear. Such thoughts were dangerous. He bowed deeply before the High Queen - deeper than even the lowest Human concubine did before him, deep as it could get.

"For what reasons do you seek your Queen, noble?" Schala asked, coldly.

"My High Queen, the nobles are worried. You have been filled with anger that we can't explain...Is it something we have done?" Enki asked, with a quivering voice

"You? No. The least of my worries would be the lot of you. No...Those pretenders, who claim to be the sacred Imperium?. From Sjydge demanded tribute! Tribute! Can you imagine this!" with each word, her anger returned even more. In the end, she grabbed a small letter, and threw it into Enki's face. "Begone, fool! And tell your...friends that they may have to stand up from their asses. Bah!"

Enki grabbed the letter and then he ran for his life, as if he was chased by angry Orcs who want to murder him. The nobles waited for him; some were slightly disappointed about him still breathing, but most were intrigued in the letter's content. With shaky hands, he opened the letter. It read:

Now the rage and anger was understood. Now they knew.

20. NinjaCow64

Very minor patch for the ruleset:

Sorry for the inconvenience.