ARCHAEOLOGIST seems dull

Should be a way-fun meta game, to try to gather artifacts the world over. If you're willing to invest your time and energy in building archaeologists and pay whatever price Open Borders may have, then that's on you, isn't it? For that reason i disagree with being able to cancel open borders at the drop of a hat: If you're worried about enemy archaeologists don't have them open, or charge to do it.

Who stops you from parking a worker/great_artist/whatever_other_civilian_unit on desired archaeological site(s) till your arch. will be available to dig it?

Archaeologists may be able to enter other civ's territory without open borders.

:lol: thats awesome.

Oh, it's just a matter of time before we get threads about how having a unit that resembles Indiana Jones isn't "historically accurate", "realistic", "immersion-friendly", or somesuch, accompanied with a list of real-world archaeologists that are no-doubt household names.

Oh, it's just a matter of time before we get threads about how having a unit that resembles Indiana Jones isn't "historically accurate", "realistic", "immersion-friendly", or somesuch, accompanied with a list of real-world archaeologists that are no-doubt household names.

Ross Geller in Cairo :lol:

Not to mention the gay assistant in the background !

OOoooooh. I was under the impression that you could only search your own lands. The fact that you can into other lands with the arch. make him more desirable.

I just wish they were named like Great People rather than having a generic unit name.

I was hoping to dig in Greek archaeological sites with Lord Elgin...

I'm thinking that archeology might also inspire otherwise builder civs to engage in some early-game war-mongering - we've got to set up some rich dig sites for later.

I'm thinking that archeology might also inspire otherwise builder civs to engage in some early-game war-mongering - we've got to set up some rich dig sites for later.

In my experience, in the current patch level, you don't really have to worry about that. The AI will come and seek you out if it perceives your army to be small. And of course you'll have a large walled capital with Oligarchy they can't take :)

Just my humble opinion, but I certainly hope that the Archeology Tech doesn't reveal *all* sites at once. I'd prefer them to be over time, perhaps enhanced by actual exploration with an Archaeologist Unit and/or certain late-game techs.

Also, they mention sites linked to wars & destroyed cities/camps, but why stop there? How about the site where a missionary/Prophet met his/her untimely end? In that case, maybe the player could choose to use the discovery for a Holy Site, or house the relics in a temple for extra faith (with additional effects being tied to the Founder/Follower beliefs of your religion). How about a Great Merchant or trade unit destroyed during a trade mission-aside from the 2 existing options, you might also have the option to sell the Objet d'Art at auction, for a one-time gold boost. How about the Improvements built by Great People, should they get destroyed by an invading army? Again you might have choices beyond the "Cultural Site vs Cultural Relics"-like a science boost from the ruins of an academy or a production boost from the ruins of a workshop.....that kind of thing.

Aussie.

Just my humble opinion, but I certainly hope that the Archeology Tech doesn't reveal *all* sites at once. I'd prefer them to be over time, perhaps enhanced by actual exploration with an Archaeologist Unit and/or certain late-game techs.

Also, they mention sites linked to wars & destroyed cities/camps, but why stop there? How about the site where a missionary/Prophet met his/her untimely end? In that case, maybe the player could choose to use the discovery for a Holy Site, or house the relics in a temple for extra faith (with additional effects being tied to the Founder/Follower beliefs of your religion). How about a Great Merchant or trade unit destroyed during a trade mission-aside from the 2 existing options, you might also have the option to sell the Objet d'Art at auction, for a one-time gold boost. How about the Improvements built by Great People, should they get destroyed by an invading army? Again you might have choices beyond the "Cultural Site vs Cultural Relics"-like a science boost from the ruins of an academy or a production boost from the ruins of a workshop.....that kind of thing.

Aussie.

I love that idea, it's a shame that archaeologists will likely just stick to what we've seen by now. I think it's something that Civ VI could expand on. ;)

I don't look forward to swarms of AI archaeologists invading my territory without any real way to stop them. I assume there will be a "stop digging in my territory!" diplo option, but that it will only work after they do the damage and that the AI will be able to ignore it.

Just avoid open borders if it bugs you that much. Only trade with City-States.

I think I'll just mow them down with Machine Gunners.

Or better yet, fly a Bomber out to my antiquity site.

In a couple hundred years, that civ can send another archaeologist to unearth the bones of his predecessor.

I love that idea, it's a shame that archaeologists will likely just stick to what we've seen by now. I think it's something that Civ VI could expand on. ;)

I don't know, I think these features could easily be added via a patch or DLC. Heck, I think they could add these features between now & release date ;-).

Aussie.

Top Bottom