1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIVED: Fun Stuff

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by KingArthur, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Not exactly untouched, according to that article…

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Well, this thread is about fun stuff and steampunk…
    Spoiler contains ONE bit of mild profanity, read at your own risk :

4. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

@ Takhisis: lol

@ everyone: I know I'm WAAAAY behind the times here, but check out The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, they're a steampunk alt-rock band. And I compose sci-fi themed ambient music, influenced by the books I read and my grounding in punk rock (seems contradictory? Look up Angels and Airwaves on wikipedia...) so if that's any use...

"If your enemy has an impregnible fortress, see that he stays there"

5. Blue Monkey

Welcome, Sir Sam Vimes. I've been thinking for some time about starting a thread to discuss music for the scenarios. Besides era specific music there is also the music played during diplomatic exchanges ...

6. Sir Sam Vimes

Yeah, and I reckon the Diplo music should be really different for each tribe. Not to mention build music for wonders...

7. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Really? There are that many different music cues for this game? Just how many are there? Mind you, the SP mod is for Conquests.

8. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

No, you can't have customised diplomacy music for every civilisation. It works by culture groups, and even there some of the culture groups have to share music for some eras.

9. Sir Sam Vimes

in conquests, you have a general soundtrack, which may or may not be era-specific, music for when the diplo window is open, music for when you build a wonder or whatever and I think when you get the 'we've just advanced an era' message, not to mention the music at the end when the results are being given...

...and then there's unit fx...

@ Plotinus: simples :) Just choose a different flavour for each tribe (altho that means only having 7 tribes...)

10. Plotinus

Yes, music is played on those different occasions, but you can't tailor what music is played in the ways that you suggest.

11. Sir Sam Vimes

you can make it era-specific tho, can't you? Otherwise you'd hear that 80s rock version of the vanilla soundtrack in the stone age...

oh, and under the heading of 'fun stuff', check this...

12. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

As I said, perhaps we can make a list of possible music cues, or find a list...

re Steampunk Palin article: reminds me of a quote, which I think comes from Michael Crichton: "A nuclear plant is the world's most expensive kind of water boiler" or somesuch. Too bad Einstein isn't around to design a energy efficient boiler that heats just as well as his refrigerator cools. Otherwise, that's just disturbing...

13. Blue Monkey

I trust what Plotinus says, given that he has set up custom music for his scenarios.
    Tutorial 1 - includes list of music files
    Tutorial 2 - detailed instruction for era-specific music & a couple of posts on the diplomacy

How about a discussion thread - blue sky brainstorm at first then slowly tighten the focus. Styles as well as particular pieces for example. :vomit: if the scenario soundtrack ends up solely "goths with gears". 197 pieces in my current playlist - 135 without Vernian Process. There's everything from the grand-daddy of steampunk bands (1973 - 1991) to the very music the Victorians listened to. That's right the music they listened to at home - not recordings by 20th c. musicians.

14. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I agree: started a Music Discussion Thread. Say, how about checking those links for me...

15. Blue Monkey

Links corrected - the ones in your quote will still be wrong because quotes freeze the text at that point in time.

16. Sir Sam Vimes

yeah, I've started messing around with stuff and i'm using a lot of music-hall and chamber music samples a a foundation... given my musical background, the risk in my case is not goths with gears so much as lees steam, more punk :lol:

17. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Thanks, Blue. Lots that we can do with that.

18. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Hey, I just had to share this with you guys...

Last night I was mucking with the stand-alone Barsoom map, and made the great Volcano Mons Olympus:

Nine Tiles - that's gotta be a record of some sort, don't'cha think?
    Sorry about the large image size, but I wanted to include some regular size stuff in the picture so that you can see the scale of it...

19. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

I like, I really like :goodjob:
    Is that some martian vegetation I see in the pic as well?

20. Plotinus

Very nice!

Olympus Mons is a lot less impressive than people usually think, because although it is extremely high, it is more like a big bulge in the planet than a mountain. The slope is so gentle you could cycle up it. If you were standing near it, you wouldn't really be able to see it, except that the horizon would be a bit higher in that direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.