ARCHIVED: Fun Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly untouched, according to that article…

Well, this thread is about fun stuff and steampunk…
Spoiler contains ONE bit of mild profanity, read at your own risk :

@ Takhisis: lol

@ everyone: I know I'm WAAAAY behind the times here, but check out The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, they're a steampunk alt-rock band. And I compose sci-fi themed ambient music, influenced by the books I read and my grounding in punk rock (seems contradictory? Look up Angels and Airwaves on wikipedia...) so if that's any use...

"If your enemy has an impregnible fortress, see that he stays there"

Welcome, Sir Sam Vimes. I've been thinking for some time about starting a thread to discuss music for the scenarios. Besides era specific music there is also the music played during diplomatic exchanges ...

Yeah, and I reckon the Diplo music should be really different for each tribe. Not to mention build music for wonders...

Really? There are that many different music cues for this game? Just how many are there? Mind you, the SP mod is for Conquests.

in conquests, you have a general soundtrack, which may or may not be era-specific, music for when the diplo window is open, music for when you build a wonder or whatever and I think when you get the 'we've just advanced an era' message, not to mention the music at the end when the results are being given...

...and then there's unit fx...

@ Plotinus: simples :) Just choose a different flavour for each tribe (altho that means only having 7 tribes...)

Yes, music is played on those different occasions, but you can't tailor what music is played in the ways that you suggest.

you can make it era-specific tho, can't you? Otherwise you'd hear that 80s rock version of the vanilla soundtrack in the stone age...

oh, and under the heading of 'fun stuff', check this...

you can make it era-specific tho, can't you? Otherwise you'd hear that 80s rock version of the vanilla soundtrack in the stone age...

oh, and under the heading of 'fun stuff', check this...

As I said, perhaps we can make a list of possible music cues, or find a list...

re Steampunk Palin article: reminds me of a quote, which I think comes from Michael Crichton: "A nuclear plant is the world's most expensive kind of water boiler" or somesuch. Too bad Einstein isn't around to design a energy efficient boiler that heats just as well as his refrigerator cools. Otherwise, that's just disturbing...

No, you can't have customised diplomacy music for every civilisation. It works by culture groups, and even there some of the culture groups have to share music for some eras.
Yes, music is played on those different occasions, but you can't tailor what music is played in the ways that you suggest.
I trust what Plotinus says, given that he has set up custom music for his scenarios.
Tutorial 1 - includes list of music files
Tutorial 2 - detailed instruction for era-specific music & a couple of posts on the diplomacy

Really? There are that many different music cues for this game? Just how many are there? Mind you, the SP mod is for Conquests.
As I said, perhaps we can make a list of possible music cues, or find a list...
How about a discussion thread - blue sky brainstorm at first then slowly tighten the focus. Styles as well as particular pieces for example. :vomit: if the scenario soundtrack ends up solely "goths with gears". 197 pieces in my current playlist - 135 without Vernian Process. There's everything from the grand-daddy of steampunk bands (1973 - 1991) to the very music the Victorians listened to. That's right the music they listened to at home - not recordings by 20th c. musicians.

I trust what Plotinus says, given that he has set up custom music for his scenarios.
Tutorial 1 - includes list of music files
Tutorial 2 - detailed instruction for era-specific music & a couple of posts on the diplomacy

How about a discussion thread - blue sky brainstorm at first then slowly tighten the focus. Styles as well as particular pieces for example. :vomit: if the scenario soundtrack ends up solely "goths with gears". 197 pieces in my current playlist - 135 without Vernian Process. There's everything from the grand-daddy of steampunk bands (1973 - 1991) to the very music the Victorians listened to. That's right the music they listened to at home - not recordings by 20th c. musicians.

yeah, I've started messing around with stuff and i'm using a lot of music-hall and chamber music samples a a foundation... given my musical background, the risk in my case is not goths with gears so much as lees steam, more punk :lol:

Hey, I just had to share this with you guys...

Last night I was mucking with the stand-alone Barsoom map, and made the great Volcano Mons Olympus:

Nine Tiles - that's gotta be a record of some sort, don't'cha think?
Sorry about the large image size, but I wanted to include some regular size stuff in the picture so that you can see the scale of it...

Hey, I just had to share this with you guys...
Last night I was mucking with the stand-alone Barsoom map, and made the great Volcano Mons Olympus:
I like, I really like :goodjob:
Is that some martian vegetation I see in the pic as well?

Very nice!

Olympus Mons is a lot less impressive than people usually think, because although it is extremely high, it is more like a big bulge in the planet than a mountain. The slope is so gentle you could cycle up it. If you were standing near it, you wouldn't really be able to see it, except that the horizon would be a bit higher in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom