1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIVED: WIPs - Interfaces & Static PCXs

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by Blue Monkey, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

First WIP:
    Spoiler :

2. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Reporting for duty! SCV good to go, sir!!
    Please send me an email/PM with as much detail as you could possibly cram into it and still be understandable by human beings.

4. Blue Monkey

As I pm 'd, give me a few days to translate randomly sized graphics to scaled reference images. Then we can divy up the model building. ;)

5. Takhisis

Suits me fine. Last exam -assuming I pass- is next Friday. Monday is a holiday. Three Blender-nights in a row!!!!!!

6. Blue Monkey

Here's a quick sketch of building types in scale. C & M have balconies. Takhisis & I are working from larger versions of the individual sketches. Apart from the homes the models will get scaled and resized as needed for variety & to fill the cities.

Spoiler :

7. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Looks like that will be a fun project to work on, making the individual buildings! Will the WIP thread be in this thread, or are you going to start one in the main forum? It will interesting to watch them come together.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Yes, this is a promising project. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, a sure sign of better than average results. And I think you've got the building types exactly right.

9. Blue Monkey

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not sure there will be enough postings to deserve a separate thread, so we'll keep it here for now.

10. Blue Monkey

AFAIK Takhisis & I will be posting which building we're currently working on here so we don't duplicate effort. So I'm starting the homes - simplest, but also the most common building & a good standard to judge the others by.

11. Takhisis

Actually I kinda wanted to do a separate thread to keep it, well, separate from all other comments, like we did on the ratha thing. Might start one tomorrow.

12. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

But Tak, that's what this thread is for! We've almost hit 300 posts here. Long threads hold things together better.

13. Takhisis

…right :hide:

14. Takhisis

Blue, here we go. I don't have to retake my latest exam 'cos I scraped a pass.
    For some reason, the .tif files you sent me are unreadableĀ… wait, not now. Windows has decided it does recognise them after all.
    So, now I'll be doing the simple house, to flex my wings:

btw thanks for letting me work on this -Barsoom is a very happy childhood memory!

15. Takhisis

Mmmmk, not off to a good start. The program's insisting on loading a copy of my latest file as its default settings and deleting everything (Ctrl+X) sends me back to square 1, that is, I still end up with a ratha and horses :confused: -even after loading a new file and tinkering with/rendering it.
    So, I'll take advantage of the situation and upgrade to the latest stable version…
    Wait, I figured it out! Apparently you can save a scene as default settings and that's what happened. Now I've restored the factory setting as the default, but I'm upgrading to 2.49 b anyway to stay up-to-date. :)

16. Blue Monkey

Glad to hear school went well.

If you're working on the houses I'll try my hand at the mushroom tower - I expect the 1st era city will be simple houses & one tower. The more advanced houses are based on the same shape so hopefully we can re-use the model. I've also been experimenting with some textures based on the palette of the terrain Balthasar is using. So once we've got some models going we can test them out with renders in something besides grey.

17. Blue Monkey

Just realized that the concept for the entryway on the home might not be clear enough from the B&W image. It should definitely not look like an igloo. Rather it's sloping & curving into the main body of the home. Like in this picture, which also show what I have in mind for the balconies.

18. Blue Monkey

Moderator duties soaked up all available time this week. About 6 hours spent on that today, for example. Hopefully I'll be able to do some modeling this weekend.

19. Takhisis

Heh, I spent most of today on the road. Local trades unions decided to do an act of intimidation and flood our part of town with tens of thousands of hired thugs loyal grateful supporters. So, modelling wasn't the foremost thought in my mind. Also gearing up for Sunday after next's match.

20. Blue Monkey

Glad to here I'm not falling behind on the workload.
    Hopefully your team isn't playing Bolivia. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.