ARCHIVED: WIPs - Interfaces & Static PCXs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, just a local derby which is nearly as violent as the Old Firm.

Hey BM, I was just absently looking through this thread for the 1st time, and I saw some of my SPORE buildings in your previews. Ummm, why? It's rather embarassing.

Hey BM, I was just absently looking through this thread for the 1st time, and I saw some of my SPORE buildings in your previews. Ummm, why? It's rather embarassing.
I don't understand your embarrassment. I think that work is very well done. They are just there to illustrate architectural concepts. Same as Frazetta's, Dean's or Whelan's work. No intention at all to use them (no conversion or CnP). I will remove them if you want.

If any of Wyrmshadow's stuff is included in the material BM sent me I'll have no problems with deleting it if he so wishes.

If any of Wyrmshadow's stuff is included in the material BM sent me I'll have no problems with deleting it if he so wishes.
Just to reemphasize - my intent is only as a general architectural reference. Not to copy anything. Indeed, none of the building designs we have settled on are consciously based on Wyrmshadow's work. Disposition of any posted images is completely up to Wyrmshadow.

I've been thinking… maybe, to Martianise it a bit, I should turn the World settings into a reddish thing? :mischief:

I think the height is right:

Must start on the entrance.
What colour is the model supposed to be? The dull grey non-colour is a bit off-character.

Two previews on entrance before supper:

I know it's too small, but what about the shape?

I've been thinking… maybe, to Martianise it a bit, I should turn the World settings into a reddish thing?
What colour is the model supposed to be? The dull grey non-colour is a bit off-character.
I'm working on textures. When the model looks good I'd like to do some test renders with a couple different ones and see how they look on the terrain set.
I know it's too small, but what about the shape?
It's way too spherical. If you look at the reference image you'll see that the house is oblate (vertically compressed). And the entrance needs to slope, not be a half tube. Can you import the b&w graphic as an image plane?

But the size is much less critical. Scaling. ;)

It's just not my best work, especially the Invid hives.

It's way too spherical. If you look at the reference image you'll see that the house is oblate (vertically compressed).
Yeap, I see that now. Must do after dinner. It's Mother's Day here, so… we'll see.
And the entrance needs to slope, not be a half tube. Can you import the b&w graphic as an image plane?
It won't be halftube, I just left it at that as I was dropping off from sleep. I can import the image as a plane but there'd be no use in it.
Blue Monkey said:
But the size is much less critical. Scaling. ;)
Scaling's na possible after I link the vertices and fuse both structures.

I can import the image as a plane but there'd be no use in it.
The image can then be used as a reference for the size & shape of the model.
Scaling's na possible after I link the vertices and fuse both structures.
My intention is to assemble the cities in Unity. It can use multiple model formats simultaneously (ie. obj & ma or mb from Maya) and resize any imported models. Another advantage is that it will automatically update changes to imported models, including applied textures, so things can be still be changed as needed.

The image can then be used as a reference for the size & shape of the model.
I know, I tried it but it doesn't help with my way of wroking. I prefer to have the source picture(s) open in a different window.
Blue Monkey said:
My intention is to assemble the cities in Unity. It can use multiple model formats simultaneously (ie. obj & ma or mb from Maya) and resize any imported models. Another advantage is that it will automatically update changes to imported models, including applied textures, so things can be still be changed as needed.
I dinna ken how to use that…
Yet :shifty:

I know, I tried it but it doesn't help with my way of wroking. I prefer to have the source picture(s) open in a different window.
Whatever wroks for you is fine with me. :mischief:
I dinna ken how to use that…
Yet :shifty:
The assembly is part of my contribution to the effort. ;)

Here's a really quick demo of using Unity to assemble cities:

Previously
  • Made a ground texture (based on a screenshot of a LM Grassland map in the C3C editor) in GIMP, saved as a png.
  • Made a house texture in GIMP by manipulating screenshots of LM Grassland, Plains and Desert as layers. Saved as a png.

This Morning (less than an hour invested)
  • Blender: created a sphere , scaled it in one dimension, & exported as obj.
  • Maya: same steps except exported as mb.
  • Imported both into Unity.
  • Applied textures in Unity -using a standard Unity texture for the obj sphere.
  • No lights were created.
  • No Rendering.
  • Took a screenshot.
  • annotated it in Gimp. Saved as a tiff.
The result:

Spoiler :

Why as a tiff?

(Bloody hell, you Americans also have Maya)

Yes, I am, but I'm not American. How do I prove my sudent status from outside? Besides, an interpreter doesn't have anything at all to do with design :(

(I could schedule a download eventually and start to learn how to use the thing, but i still haven't finished learning Blender. One step at a time!)

Yes, I am, but I'm not American. How do I prove my sudent status from outside? Besides, an interpreter doesn't have anything at all to do with design :(
Student id number, student email account... design of interactive media for language/nonverbal cues training... ;)

Student id number,
We don't have those. You sign up with your ID number (national bureau has every single person born/residing in/entering/exiting the country fingerprinted and numbered) and that's it.
Blue Monkey said:
student email account...
We don't get those. This is a state university. If I want to contact a teacher I use a regular account like everybody else.
Blue Monkey said:
design of interactive media for language/nonverbal cues training... ;)
Would that be even believable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom