1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you sticking with civ4?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by fathertuck, Aug 30, 2010.

1. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

I don't think this thread is meant to be a debate. It's just a straw-poll to see if there will still be a strong civ4 fan-base now that Civ5 is on the scene.

It is obviously possible to like more than one game at once, but when there is a lot of overlap between games people tend to focus on one rather than the other. For example I never play Civ 1, 2, or 3 anymore; it isn't because those games are 'old', there are plenty of older games that I still play, I don't play the older civs because they have been superseded by Civ4. Another example: Civ 4 (vanilla) and Beyond the Sword are effectively different games, but very few people divide their Civ time equally between them.

Civ 4 and Civ 5 obviously have a similar target audience. Some people are going to drop Civ 4 to play Civ 5 and never look back. Some people are going to stick with Civ 4 because they feel it is the better game. The purpose of this thread is just to get a feel for how many people intend to stick around... how many people are going to still be on the civ4 forums making mods and posting funny pictures and helping newbies and discussing parts of the game and so on. This isn't a fanboy war, or even a debate.

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

No idea. And my choices in response are either to tell it to go f-off or to grovel its face. Why should I choose one answer over the other?

For more diplomatic absurdity, in my latest game Ramses ran roughshod over Alex and wiped him out. He was also starting to work over Ramhamthinganwhatever. So I beat up on Ramses and liberated Alex. Then the dumb fool went and died a second time so I liberated him AGAIN. After this he was totally pissed off at me. I have no idea why. Because I was a warmonger, it appears. You would think he would have been appreciative of the help I gave him but it seems not. When he died a third time, I said screw that. You can stay in your friggin grave.

3. Raulito

Raulito Chieftain

I know, thanks for pointing that out. Wasted $32 for the first version of Civ 4. then $40 for the Complete edition...quite a saving. Anyway, right now I need a new windows...my version is pirate...second..not sure if my comp can handle it. third..i need a good anti-virus program and a new "System Mechanics"(I was very satified after trying it out) program.

4. el_hidalgo

el_hidalgo Prince

I'm sticking with IV, waiting for patches, exp packs, WB, and mods and a new PC before I make the leap. I'm still not sick of IV yet and besides I'm working on several scenarios, mods, and maps.

5. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Warlord

I miss it :(

6. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

You people that are holding out are either lying, or have exceptional self control. :lol:

7. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

I didnt even finish a full game on Civ V. I was spending too much time and not enjoying it at all. All I could think of was how the game put me in the mood to play Civ IV... so I obliged.

8. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

I simply don't think paying full price for a rough and incomplete product is a good deal. I'd consider it anyway, but not in the presence of multiple customer-milking schemes. They'll be willing to sell a complete and refined product at a discount before I run out of other worthwhile games. And yes, I'm more bileous than strictly warranted and very much aware of it.

9. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

And some people are just sticking with both.

Because, in my opinion, Civ4 and 5 are different enough in atmosphere and feel to keep them both around, depending on what itch to scratch. Just like I keep playing the occasional MoO2 game or SMAC (or non-4X games, for that matter).

Cheers, LT.

10. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

I think it's been fairly well proven that I have no self control. :p

To add, Civ5 seems very unfinished to me. If I had actually paid for it myself, I think I would be rather upset with what I've received.

11. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Yes. Fair enough. Of course, sticking with both isn't really a special case though. If you stick with both then you are sticking with Civ4. The first post says "Are you going to continue playing civ4 after civ5 comes out?" There's also the possibility that when Civ5 comes out, some people will quit Civ complete and start playing Starcraft or something for whatever reason.

I'm not trying to argue that everyone must choose one or the other. I'm just trying to explain to monsterfurby that the original question is a legitimate one, and that it doesn't have a fanboy war built into it.

12. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

I bought Civ V for $40, so its no big deal to me that I haven't gotten into it yet. I mean, I spend more going out for drinks on a Friday than what Civ V cost.

Civ V has included some excellent new features, now they just need to make them work :lol: but I think they've taken away way to many things I loved about Civ 4 for me stop playing it. I like Religion, Espionage, map trading and ESPECIALLY Vassals.

One factor I haven't heard mentioned a lot around CFC, is the BTS Learning Curve. I don't want to waste all that damn information i've stored in my Brain-cogs for Civ 4 by dropping it for Civ V.

13. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

I keep reading everyone pushing Civ V and saying its great. So I feel like Im missing something and try to play the game.

It just seems so boring to me and not challenging at all.

By nature on Civ, I have always been a bit of an isolationist and a builder. Have enjoyed that method of gameplay. In Civ V you are basically forced to make war all the time. War is easy and I dont like it.

14. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

I thought that you made a good point, and I agree with it. I think many people will play both, at least until Civ5 is fixed enough to be deep and challenging. I'm not choosing one or the other, and I probably will never stop playing 4 completely.

I've also noticed that since the release of Civ5, the wasteland that was the Civ4 forums has now had its' traffic pick up quite a bit. I think that is something of a silent answer to the OP's poll.

15. k-a-bob

k-a-bob Waiting patiently.......

Well, I have a Mac and decided to not make a partition for Windows for CiV. By the looks of it, I'm glad it's not easy for me to buy it. I'll wait until some expansion pack or port to the Mac when they have figured things out better and fixed parts of the game that seem to be disturbing.

16. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

I understand, I have only played the demo so far and it made a positive first impression, though I can see that the gameplay is potentially shallow compared to Civ 4.

Man is this ever true. :p

17. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

The predictions of the masses of the people were that Civ5 would be a smash hit everyone would enjoy. After a week, not only do some people not enjoy it, but some of these diehard fans do not enjoy it.

I will keep my Civ4.

18. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

After playing Civ 5, yeah I'm sticking with Civ4 BTS until Civ5 has expansions and is well polished.

19. fathertuck

fathertuck Warlord

Only problem is that when you finally migrate you feel like a complete noob on the forums, where "everyone" else has played the game for years already and know all the tips and tricks there is to know about it.

20. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

And that's a problem how? (Supposed it were true, which it isn't, since Civ5 will probably generate a steady stream of new players for years, as his predecessors did.)