Are you sticking with civ4?

you bet I'm gonna stick with IV... I just recently realized how awesome mods are (and still need to learn how to do it myself - so if anyone HAPPENS to know which of all the bazillion guides on here is recommendable, plz let me know :) )

I just recently bought Civ4 and haven't seen anything particularly compelling about 5 so I will be on Civ4 for quit a while.

I am staying with Civ4. I'm tired of trying to enjoy Civ5. I never had to put effort into enjoying any previous Civ titles(except revolution). Civ5 way to shallow for me. They ruined it trying to attract casuals IMO.

I'm going to reinstall Civ 4 right now and try to forget how dissapointed I am in Civ5.:(

I'll be sticking with Civ4, although I've had it for ~5 years I stopped playing, and only recently got back into it, then only purchased BTS a few weeks ago.
My PC could run C5 (my graphics card actually is better than the recommended spec, but the CPU is only dual core) BUT...
I can play BTS on my laptop, they'll likely be updates, expansions etc, as is the way with games nowadays.
WHEN I get Civ5 (at it is a matter of when) It'll likely be a 'complete' version on the cheap, after I've got a new PC lol

I am staying with Civ4. I'm tired of trying to enjoy Civ5. I never had to put effort into enjoying any previous Civ titles(except revolution). Civ5 way to shallow for me. They ruined it trying to attract casuals IMO.

I'm going to reinstall Civ 4 right now and try to forget how dissapointed I am in Civ5.:(

Pretty much my opinion. Too little complexity and too few options. And atrocious UI. I've just started playing Civ 4 so am just wetting my toes tbh, but 5 did certainly not live up to the usually ridiculous hype.

I'll wait a year or two, maybe 5 is worth buying then. It isn't now. It's a mid-to-late beta and simply isn't fit for release yet. But I'm sure even the dev team knows that. Probably been released over their heads.

Was such a relief to go back to IV and see info I need to see and more options across the board :)

Im on board with IV.

I feel like I have sooooooo much more to enjoy on the game. Just started to play BtS and Im still a player that has a low win % on Noble. I also never "mixed up" the settings and its amazing all the variables.

Couldnt get into Civ V

Well, I wouldn't go that far but I sure am disappointed.

Reason number 1: every AI from CIV II to CIV IV was a huge advance on its predecessor. In CIV V, the melee units either go out from their city to get slaughtered or stand in front of the enemy turn after turn until the ranged attacks kill them. Dumb. They are simply dumb.

Reason number 2: I have no clue what's going on with diplo in CIV V. Can I actually garner favour with the AI? Or, alternately, can I piss it off? No clue. That's worse than it was in CIV II where at least you understood the rules - the AI was going to gang up on the human.

Reason number 3: Resources are worthless and production is zero.

Pluses:

1. the graphics are gorgeous - and this is coming from someone who thought that CIV IV was a step back in this department.

2. Despite some teething pains and the AI's inability to use it, 1UPT is a huge improvement over SoDs.

I'll be playing Civ4 until someone fixes 5 enough that I can play it consistently. I'm getting into it, but there are some huge weirdnesses with it that I'm having trouble with. I might just mod it until I'm happy, then Civ6 will be out. :lol:

@Abegweit:

Don't you just love how the Civ5 AI contacts you out of the blue just to insult you? WTH is that about? :crazyeye:

Heh, my last login date was: Oct 04, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I generally lurk :D

I pre-purchased Civ 5 because of the D2D deal. I was hesitant since this is the first time I've ever pre-purchased a game. I really wanted a new complex TBS game to play. However, I wish I waited and tried the demo first. I am underwhelmed by Civ 5 because of the lackluster and unintuitive UI and extremely simplified game mechanics. I've tried liking it and warmed up to it a little after my initial reaction, but it's definitely not winning me over at the moment.

I like the idea of 1UPT, but the AI doesn't know how to effectively attack or defend. There is an extremely limited number of things to contemplate while in game. I like having a variety of gameplay mechanics to choose from in order to achieve my goals, but it's very straightforward and bland. I'm a bit irked by the fact that most of the great wonders aren't more pronounced in their effects. If a rival civilization builds one, I don't care much. In previous games of the series, if a rival built a wonder I would think about how I'd have to adjust my strategy to counter it.

Though less relevant to actual gameplay, the overall presentation in the game is pleasing to look at but lacking in some regards. I was surprised that the wonder completion movies are removed (just a still picture). Tiles in your empire are not animated when worked. The voice actor for the technology discoveries does a serviceable job, but nothing spectacular. My favorite game for tech discoveries and wonder movies is Alpha Centauri. The people who worked on that game put so many little touches here and there to give it an extremely immersive experience.

I have hopes that through patching and DLC's that the game will become fun for me. Kudos to those who like it, but to each their own. I've already put in about 40 hours into Civ 5 but am not really looking forward to playing it anymore in its current state. Many game reviewers were gushing superlatives that I didn't see in Civ 5. I think I'll be playing more Civ 4 in the near future.

Tbh, I have considerable hopes for Civ5... eventually. the problem is that the current version - which from what I heard is buggy, plagued with even worse AI and arguably incomplete depending on your stance on DLC on day 1 - has to compete with Civ4 + expansions + years of patching + mods.

As much as I enjoy it, Civ4 + BTS has never been an elegant game. The mechanics are an atrocity towards mathematics. Many components like espinonage, corporations and arguably religion feel tacked on rather than integral game concepts. Interaction with AIs feels extremely gamey.

Civ5 looks promising in many respects, if the streamlining didn't come at the cost of depth (not sure about that yet). I'll consider it when they're done milking their initial customers and give me a complete and refined game for a reasonable price.

Why don't we just call Civ V what it is? Civ Revolution ported to the PC.

If you liked Civ Rev then you'll probably like Civ V. If you hate Civ Rev then, well.. stick with Civ IV.

I may end up sticking with Civ 4 just because of the Civ 5 fans.
The Civ 5 forums are making me queasy.

Any criticism is because your old or adverse to change or an idiot. And they love the persona;l attack rather than game discussion.

It's getting creepy over there. Your even required to love Steam.

I may end up sticking with Civ 4 just because of the Civ 5 fans.
The Civ 5 forums are making me queasy.

Any criticism is because your old or adverse to change or an idiot. And they love the persona;l attack rather than game discussion.

It's getting creepy over there. Your even required to love Steam.
:lol::lol::lol:

So true! Some of these people are complete mutants.

And people call ME a crackpot! :D

Yes, I'm sticking with Civ4 because my brain is not physically capable of liking two games at the same time.

Seriously guys, this has long passed the point of sillyness and descended into the realm of stupidity. The "Civ5 is better than Civ4, stfu" crowd as well as the "I stick with Civ4 because Civ5 sucks" crowd.
Look at it this way: If you bought both games, you paid twice. If it were one and the same game, you wouldn't have done that. They are two entirely different products, two different games - and they are BOTH FREAKING GREAT. Just because people find it more exciting to consider themselves disappointed does not make either a bad game, and whoever fails to consider the individual game instead of the franchise probably also buys diet coke to lose weight.

Apologizing in advance, but this is getting out of hand. Instead of "are you still playing Civ 4 despite Civ 5 being out now", as intended by the OP, this is just Civ 4 fanboys fighting Civ 5 fanboys. Not exactly a high-quality debate, folks.

civ 5 is a joke so far. its shallow and all the fanboys on the 5 forum say "oh its just different. they took away 20 features and added 1 unit per tile.. its just different!"

im sorry but removing religion, making diplomacy useless, the AI stupid... and managing an empire shallow and based entirely on keeping people happy is a huge amount of crap to take out. and you add ONE thing, removing stacks of death. oh and btw the CPU is terrible at war now cuz removing SOD means the CPU ai is dumb as bricks now

Top Bottom